MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted in the new comers forum about my new pistol - a full size M&P 22. I took a little bit of a gamble on buying a range gun from a range that was shutting its doors since the price was good.

I took it apart and cleaned the heck out of it (wasn't too bad, but there was a good bit of cleaning to be done). I was looking for any evidence of dry firing and there seems to be a little bit (the black is removed on the butt end of the barrel in the shape of the firing pin) but no real indent in the metal. While checking this out, I tried pressing the firing pin from the back side to the front, and it just doesn't seem like it sticks out enough to hit the bullet.

The attached pic is me trying my hardest to push it out towards the front side. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: this is my first semi automatic (all revolvers prior), so my apologies if I don't use correct terminology!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I took the photo into Photoshop and lightened it quite alot to bring out the data.

It looks like enough to me, but to be certain, did you remove the firing pin and clean out the hole it travels in and the pin itself? If it was a range gun and dirty I doubt that it wasn't firing.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Sure looks far enough outward to hit the 22 primer area to me.
Have you had any mis-fires with it...???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure looks far enough outward to hit the 22 primer area to me.
Have you had any mis-fires with it...???
That's the thing, I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it yet! Hoping I'll be able to next weekend. Thanks everybody for your feedback, again I'm new to semi automatics, so I'm not exactly sure what it should look normal!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I'm fairly certain that gun can be dry fired*, so the firing pin should come out far enough to set off the priming compound in the rim, but not so far as to contact the steel that supports the rim at the front.

* Be sure to check with someone in the know. And I definitely don't know for a certainty. But as far as I know it's been a long time since a major manufacturer made a quality .22 that couldn't be dry fired.

·
Site Staff
9,636 Posts
Most guns these days have inertia firing pins, this is for safety reasons, the firing pin is too short to directly impact the cartridge. If the gun is dropped the firing pin isn't able to reach the cartridge. When fired, the hammer or striker hits it hard enough so that it has enough inertia to reach the rim of the cartridge and discharge as designed.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I recently posted in the new comers forum about my new pistol - a full size M&P 22. I took a little bit of a gamble on buying a range gun from a range that was shutting its doors since the price was good.

I took it apart and cleaned the heck out of it (wasn't too bad, but there was a good bit of cleaning to be done). I was looking for any evidence of dry firing and there seems to be a little bit (the black is removed on the butt end of the barrel in the shape of the firing pin) but no real indent in the metal. While checking this out, I tried pressing the firing pin from the back side to the front, and it just doesn't seem like it sticks out enough to hit the bullet.

The attached pic is me trying my hardest to push it out towards the front side. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: this is my first semi automatic (all revolvers prior), so my apologies if I don't use correct terminology!
Is there a firing pin block that you're not pushing in when you attempt to push the firing pin out?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm fairly certain that gun can be dry fired*, so the firing pin should come out far enough to set off the priming compound in the rim, but not so far as to contact the steel that supports the rim at the front.

* Be sure to check with someone in the know. And I definitely don't know for a certainty. But as far as I know it's been a long time since a major manufacturer made a quality .22 that couldn't be dry fired.
Fairly certain ???
NEGATIVE! - Manual specifically states not to dry fire. Damage will result.!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
That's the thing, I haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it yet! Hoping I'll be able to next weekend. Thanks everybody for your feedback, again I'm new to semi automatics, so I'm not exactly sure what it should look normal!
Keep in mind caster, you MIGHT see a very slight amount of peening into the chamber area face. Alot depends on how much the gun had been fired. I`ve seen many a .22`s show a tiny wear mark, so unless you see a deep peen or divot, i wouldn`t be to concerned about it. I think you may find that it will shoot ok for you. Your biggest problem will be, finding ammo that shoots good in it. I wouldn`t dry-fire it without using a dummy round in it though. I like to use the plastic .22 dummy rounds... it will leave witness marks in the plastic. That alone should show you if the firing pin is hitting good and deep in the plastic dummy round.

EDIT:
If you have an old spent .22 case, blacken the whole base with a sharpie, stick it in the gun, fire it against the empty case,
this method should show you what ya got if its a good hit or not. Face the spent case opposite your firing pin so you dont hit it where it already got hit.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Is there a firing pin block that you're not pushing in when you attempt to push the firing pin out?
Good call Rick...
i was thinkin the same thing too, but forgot to mention it earlier. Dam`d old age kickin my old coot butt

:laughing:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I decided I'd stick a snap cap (aka small wall anchor) in the chamber and give it a fire - definitelty left a mark. No worries about it firing now! Just finding some good ammo...

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Well I decided I'd stick a snap cap (aka small wall anchor) in the chamber and give it a fire - definitelty left a mark. No worries about it firing now! Just finding some good ammo...
There ya gooooooo buddie, i think you`ll be fine with that gun. :D
Yep, you`ll go thru some ammo to figure out what works and what dont.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it worked! Shot about 150 rounds through it today flawlessly. After that I had about 1 failure per magazine. The federal copper plated stuff did well, the Blazer was OK. I bought some mini mags today (mistakenly bought the hollow points) so hopefully those will work. Anybody use the HP's? Or is the round nose better?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Maybe I've just lucked out over the past 50+ years but I find more difference between brands than whether or not the bullet has a HP. A HP on a .22 is fairly small and doesn't change the bullet all that much.

For the range I don't care which bullet type I use. But for hunting it's always either a HP or a SGB modified bullet.

Beartooth Bullets > Tips & Comments > 22 Small Game Bullet Jig

I bought my jig and it's made of hardened steel, but I know of no reason a homemade one wouldn't work. FWIW, if anyone still makes what I bought a quick 'net search didn't turn it up and it's been so many years since I bought it that I don't remember the source.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am curious about the exact model. Is it a M&P22 LR made by Carl Walther? If this is the model, S&W state in the owners manual in two places, pages 24 and 25 in the middle of the page: WARNING: NEVER DRY-FIRE YOUR PISTOL, DAMAGE WILL  RESULT.

I have this model and it has an aluminum slide and the gun is extremely light weight. After about 300-35o rounds it will use any ammo I feed it. I haven't fired it in a year and don't remember any problems with the firing pin. My wife likes to shoot it because it is quiet and light to handle and rack the slide, she can't do the shield at all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well it worked! Shot about 150 rounds through it today flawlessly. After that I had about 1 failure per magazine. The federal copper plated stuff did well, the Blazer was OK. I bought some mini mags today (mistakenly bought the hollow points) so hopefully those will work. Anybody use the HP's? Or is the round nose better?
I do not have the full size .22 but have the M&P .22 compact and also a Browning 1911-22. I have found that the CCI mini mag hollow points shoot more accurately than the round nose ones do. We're talking about a difference of perhaps 1/4" to 1/2" at most in center of grouping. Not really significant, but noticeable when you are testing various brands and aiming at a 2" diamond in a zero in target sheet.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am curious about the exact model. Is it a M&P22 LR made by Carl Walther? If this is the model, S&W state in the owners manual in two places, pages 24 and 25 in the middle of the page: WARNING: NEVER DRY-FIRE YOUR PISTOL, DAMAGE WILL  RESULT.

I have this model and it has an aluminum slide and the gun is extremely light weight. After about 300-35o rounds it will use any ammo I feed it. I haven't fired it in a year and don't remember any problems with the firing pin. My wife likes to shoot it because it is quiet and light to handle and rack the slide, she can't do the shield at all.

I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for a reply.

The poster you quoted was active for a week or two 4 years ago and hasn't been back since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts