MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like to try IPSC and IDPA (when I switch gun clubs :roll: ) and I'll probbaly be using M&P as my 'main' gun...

would this holster work? I'm not familiar with all the rules yet... :oops:

it's a don hume open top

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not sure about the IDPA rule but I'd hope it was okay...

For IPSC or USPSA it would be acceptable but not the best choice - a better selection might be something like a bladetech holster or other kydex type of rig. Some of the holsters that would be legal for USPSA/IPSC would certainly not be legal for IDPA.

The bladetech Stingray is legal in both and is a good choice, IMO.

Good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am pretty sure it would be legal in IDPA. It would not be a good choice if your goal is to compete in the game of IDPA. If you use IDPA as practice for the way you really carry, and you carry in that holster, it is perfect.

A leather pancake is simply not as fast as a kydex holster. The leather is a little slower, and that holster will hold the gun closer to your body than the rules require, and that will also slow you down some. The forwrd cant will also slow you a bit because more movement is required to bring the gun to the shooting position.

·
Registered
415 Posts
that holster would be legal for IDPA

The problem with that type of holster (pancake) is that most of them once they are used for a while. The holster mouth will collapse making one handed re-holstering difficult. You would be better served with a holster with a reinforced mouth. Having to open your holster with your weak hand while holstering is the best way to shoot yourself ever invented.

Mike

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which holster would be better on the gun's finish leather or kydex?

btw what holster would you recommend for IDPA/ IPSC? I don't want to spend more than $55 :oops:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I shoot IDPA. I believe it would be legal. However, having used both a leather and kydex holster, I much prefer a kydex without a cant. I used a Blackhawk CQC level 2 for my M&P and find it suits me just fine. Plus I like the positive click when I reholster.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK what about this one; it's a "Blade-Tech, Revolution Series Holster [BT-Revo]" $25 form MPstore.

is it IPSC and IPDA legal?

btw is it a decent holster, or should I spend more money and get something better? :?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
OK what about this one; it's a "Blade-Tech, Revolution Series Holster [BT-Revo]" $25 form MPstore.

is it IPSC and IPDA legal?

btw is it a decent holster, or should I spend more money and get something better? :?
I use it for IDPA.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I just use it for IDPA, I don't use it for carry. Although it's IDPA legal, I feel it sticks out too much. I used a light jacket and you can still see it printing a bit. Even with the tactical vest it does the same thing. If you are just looking for one for IDPA, then it is the way to go. It's inexpensive and it will do the job. You can even set it a 15 degree cant (I haven't done it but it may reduce the printing).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I strongly suggest you read the IDPA manual to determine if its legal. After all, it doesn't matter if we think its legal, if you get disqualified at a match you cannot use us as a defense. Spend the money on a blade-tech, which says its IDPA legal, and call it a day.

·
Registered
514 Posts
moshooter said:
I strongly suggest you read the IDPA manual to determine if its legal. After all, it doesn't matter if we think its legal, if you get disqualified at a match you cannot use us as a defense. Spend the money on a blade-tech, which says its IDPA legal, and call it a day.
That holster is from Blade-Tech.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Revolution is certainly legal for IPSC (in any divsion) and as far as I understand the IDPA rules (not as much as some) it should be ok there as well. I have one, and I'm quite pleased. I have a few of the more expensive Kydex Blade-Tech's, but I think BT had a good idea with the Revolution. The Revolution also uses the same attachments as the rest of the BT line, and the default hanger is the same as the one on the Stingray which also leads me to believe it would be ok in IDPA.

Whichever path you choose to take, here are few simple rules for competition holsters:

1) the more rigid the holster, the better

2) the more rigid the belt the better

3) straight beats any cant

4) positive click when the gun locks in its good, it lets you know when your gun is really in.

5) adjustable tension is good, because a smooth draw is hard to do when the holster won't let go of the gun.

Given those, kydex or some sort of similar plastic often wins. Kydex re-enforced leather works too.

Don't worry about wear. Wear is normal and the finish will wear or it won't regardless of holster. Some finishes never wear, some wear out when they SEE a holster nevermind getting drawn a few thouthand times. I don't know yet which one the M&P finish is.

Plus a worn finish gun says something about its owner. A pretty, clean, shinny gun means you are not practicing enough. When you see the guy with a worn finish on a gun which hasnt been cleaned in a 1000 rounds or so, then you start to worry 'cause he knows how to use it and the gun runs no matter what.

·
Registered
134 Posts
crazypilot said:
[quote name='moshooter']I strongly suggest you read the IDPA manual to determine if its legal. After all, it doesn't matter if we think its legal, if you get disqualified at a match you cannot use us as a defense. Spend the money on a blade-tech, which says its IDPA legal, and call it a day.
That holster is from Blade-Tech.[/quote]

I meant the Blade-Tech SRB that clearly states "Approved for IDPA". However, upon close inspection it appears both the Kydex and IM holsters are IDPA approved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts