MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys first off I've been reading this forum for quite some time without registering, and it's one of the main reasons I decided to purchase a new M&P 9mm. So far the gun has been fantastic, I've only got about 100 rounds through it but not a single problem to speak of so far. I grew up shooting a lot of 22lr target pistol and following my dad to combat shoots with his S&W model 59. So I just want to start off by saying thanks for all the great info this site is fantastic.

Now to my question, I've shot pistols a lot, never super seriously, but I'm pretty confident with my gun. I've also hunted most of my life so I've been around guns forever. I'd like to get a CC permit just for the sake of having one, even though I probably won't carry my M&P till I have at least several thousand rounds through it and feel like it's an extension of my own hand.

Well I spent some time looking at my local sheriffs office site here in PA and I noticed a note on there that says they won't issue CC permits to anyone who isn't a resident of the county for at least three years. I've just moved back from somewhere else in the state and I'm just wondering do I really need to wait 3 years? Is this kosher or what? I'm looking for any advice you guys can give me.

Thanks again

Omi-

·
Registered
154 Posts
welcome aboard!

I'm not from PA but I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of asinine rule like that.

I'd checkout a site like http://www.packing.org which has a lot of details on state-by-state laws.

here in Connecticut, you wouldn't have been able to even buy the M&P without first getting your CCW permit. go figure.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
In Texas, the cities, counties, and anyone else have no say on your CHL.

I'd say to check your state laws... it will usually have regulations in there regarding the issuing of CHLs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The PA laws are totally oppressive, and completely anti-gun. I believe there is a gun rights advocacy group in PA but the site totally escapes me.

sites i'd suggest are.

www.handgunlaws.us

www.packing.org (Which is down right now. )

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP7/18PA6109.html - PA Firearm Statutes

I have heard of this kind of requirement, it happened to a guy who moved to NY. He got around the problem by writing a letter to his state governer. You could also try your County Commisioner and explain that you have been a state resident for years.

Its probably not an option, but moving to a gun friendly state might be prudent.

www.opencarry.org is a great site. Something interesting in Wasington State (May be the same with PA.) it requires a permit to CC, but it requires absolutely nothing to Open Carry. Even though its "Frowned upon."

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
I don't know the laws in your state, but you need to look into them and find out if this is legit.

By the way....

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Welcome aboard, im sure if you ask around you can find your answer. Good Luck either way and congrats on the great purchase!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
10 seconds of searching on google gave me this: http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs/wb/06wb6.pdf

the last page lists the state code that regulates each state's CCW, and the one you're looking for is Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes 18:61

About.com also says there is no *STATE* regulated waiting period in PA

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Just go to another county.. That is bogus. I live in lawrence, and I got my permit in mercer cause it was closer for me..

·
Registered
524 Posts
I wish I could help you more, but I don't think what they are doing is legal because of state laws that block 2A infringements (hence what Philadelphia is bitching about with not being able to make their own, stricter, gun laws). Hit up defensivecarry.com for excellent advice on concealed carry issues.

I am unsure who you can contact to have this wrong righted, possibly our state officials.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think PA is a "shall issue" state which essentially takes any discretion away from issuing agencies, in your case, the Sheriff's office.

Take a look at the PA Uniform Firearms Act, Title 18, Para. 6109:

http://www.acslpa.org/pa_uniform_firearms_act.htm

Subparagraph © has an interesting phrase:

© Form of application and content.-The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a fire arm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fish ing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason.

I don't know if this can be interpreted to refer to only the physical application or the requirements set out by the Commonwealth.

Subparagraph (g) states:

(g) Grant or denial of license.-Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the in­vestigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.

Overall, it seems to say that the Sheriff has to follow the requirements that the Commonwealth established. It would be worth a call to the AG's office or you could submit the application and if they deny it, they're required to reply in writing why it was refused.

Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
nofoa said:
The PA laws are totally oppressive, and completely anti-gun.

Its probably not an option, but moving to a gun friendly state might be prudent.

Wow I have never heard that one before. PA has some of the most forgiving gun laws. We are a shall issue state, with instant background checks you can get a permit in 10 minutes or less. Once you have a permit you may carry anywhere but where a court proceeding is underway.

I really don't see how any of this could be construed as "oppressive". The only place I see we are a bit behind is with reciprocity, and I think the major hang up there is our lack of required CCW classes other states don't want to acknowledge ours so we won't honor theirs.

As for the 3yr wait I'd go in there and fill out an application. I'd be willing to bet they will issue it no problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're a resident of the county, I don't see how they could deny you. PA is a shall-issue state, as stated previously. You may have to escalate to your state senator or representative, but in the end, you'll probably end up with the permit if you pass the PICS check.

I had to renew last month. In my county (Blair) it took about ten minutes, and most of that time was spent filling out the form.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm from PA and I have my county's application right in front of me. The letter head is from my local Sheriff's office, but the rest of the app looks like it's a form from the state. There is no continuous-residency requirement that I can see.

If you can buy firearms over the counter and your county CCW permit is good for the whole state, that doesn't seem all that oppressive to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts