MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just purchased my first M&P pistol tonight, a full size in 9mm. After doing a fast transfer at the shop (they were closing shortly), I brought the pistol home and inspected it. I noticed a small, but kind of deep gouge in the front part of the slide.
This pistol was specially ordered for me by the dealer since I requested no internal lock and magazine disconnect safety. Is this type of flaw normal on these guns and will it deepen or widen over time? Tomorrow, I will call S&W and ask about fixing this issue.

Other then this flaw, I am very impressed with the pistol. The trigger is fantastic, almost feels like a single action with a crisp reset. I have not field stripped it yet, but there are no other noticeable problems. Magazine eject is strong and the overall finish is even. I hope S&W resolves this so I can enjoy this otherwise innovative pistol.

Mike

I will post pictures shortly

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
cptmike03 said:
Is this type of flaw normal on these guns and will it deepen or widen over time?
Definitely not normal and I doubt it would get worse. Let us know what S&W says.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Either someone dropped the slide on something hard, or something hard was dropped on/hit the slide. It could have happened at Smith or at the dealer (someone else looking at the gun, etc.).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the replys. The pistol appeared unhandled by anyone but myself, so it may be a factory error. I'll contact S&W and keep you guys informed. Justo wondering, has anyone else had this problem?, and if so how did S&W fix it? I did send them an email tonight with these pictures attached.

Thanx again,

Mike

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
cptmike03 said:
Thank you guys for the replys. The pistol appeared unhandled by anyone but myself,

I'd be very surprised if the dealer didn't at least take the gun out to verify the serial number for his ATF book. Not saying the dealer marred the slide, just that it can be very hard to tell if a gun is still truly untouched unless the box is still sealed.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Who removed your finish? Its naked. Your M&P is silver. Wonder if S&W will even look at it since the gun has been altered by its original melonite finish removed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, just got off the phone with S&W. The service rep was very nice, looked at the pictures I emailed him and admitted that it was not normal. Said he would send out a shipping label but to send it in in January, as they are closed untill January 7th. Also told me I could shoot it if I wanted to, and that would not effect thier willingness to fix this problem. This is very good service from S&W! Now I see what all the raving is about!

Mike

·
Registered
434 Posts
mke, so it's not etched there on purpose like a little tittle or an apostrophe or something?
it might return to you with an exclamation mark this time

·
Registered
65 Posts
loloy said:
mke, so it's not etched there on purpose like a little tittle or an apostrophe or something?
it might return to you with an exclamation mark this time

Thats kinda what I thought. Looked like what ever tool engraves "Smith and Wesson" on the slide got lost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts