MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a new M&P .40 since they came available. I love how it feels, shoots, looks, etc. I've had a couple of problems with it though: First one, it shipped missing a roll pin that goes through the frame near the rear on the "beavertail". Actually, it could have came loose and fell out during shooting; I didn't notice until after first range session. If it was missing all along, luckily enough the piece held together for the first shooting. No problem, after calling and telling them about it they shipped me one no charge. Next problem is the rear sight shot loose and fell off. No problem, just reinstalled using red lock tight. Next problem, or maybe not; hoping you all can help. The front of the slide has quite a bit of up/down play between it and the frame, probably around 1/8 inch. If you look at the piece it looks like the slide angles up from rear to front. Is this normal? Are yours the same?

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
normal, and covered a couple of times.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When you say "play" do you mean movement or do you mean that it appears as if the slide and frame separate from each other, but tehre isno movement. Dont have an MP, but 1/8" of up down movement between the frame and slide is NOT normal. Every MP that I have seen has an increasing gap between the frame and slide as you go from rear to front. Based on my limited handling of them it appears to be a molding issue with the frame, but should not effect functionality, aside from any frame mounted lights beign a couple of degrees lower than bore line. Most things molded are not truly straight, unless people spend lots of money on precision tooling and mfg process controls, which in this case would be non-value added money. If it is truly movement then something is wrong. Maybe the other roll pin has worked itself loose also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I guess I should have searched this topic. But I'm getting conflicting answers from you guys, so I guess it might still be a valid question. Any others out there have an opinion? TAZ, yes it is MOVEMENT. I first noticed because of the increasing gap from rear toward front, but if you push down on the front of the slide, it goes down, evening out the gap. Thanks.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Ok, the increasing gap is standard. the slide movement isn't. But I've actually never tried it.

I'd say shoot the crap out of it, and if it doesn't hold a zero then call smith.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Movement is DEFINITELY not normal. I am going to preface this a disclaimer that I am NO gunsmith and do not own an MP yet so I am basing this on limited knowledge.

Before doing ANY more shooting, I would CAREFULLY inspect the gun making sure that all pins are where they are supposed to be and intact. If one of them managed to work itself loose, the second one could be doing the same or has already done so. I would also call Smith and Wesson and have a long discussion with one of their techs clearly explaining the problem. If you dont feel comfortable with doing the inspection take it to a smith. If the front pin is working itself loose or has sheared it can cause some problems. The front of the chassis takes a good amount punishment during cycling. Call S&W or in the least PM one of the competent smiths who support this board for some help. they seem like nice guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts