MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is my first fire arm and i'm not sure if these issues i'm having are normal or abnormal. Got the M&P 9 brand new today. The fram tool is a complete pain in the arse to get out and will not begin to turn either way unless i take a pair of pliers to it, though once it's turned it comes down/out with a light pull by hand. I understand it needs to be snug so it doesn't vibrate out from recoil but having to use a pair of pliers seems a little much to me. Is this normal and do i need to keep using the pliers till it wears in some? Tried turning it by hand so much i made my finger bleed when it sliped and scraped the corner of the fram tool. My pliers are scufing the plastic end of the fram tool too which annoys me.

Next is it normal for the slide stop to stop the slide from moving back to "ready" even if i'm not pushing up on the slide stop? Haven't had a chance to fire it so this is just from me cycling it back by hand. It did this to me when i first took it out of the box and i thought it was abnormal but being my first gun i figured i just didn't know any better or that i was pushing the slide stop up into place to lock it. Later i tried a few pulls of the slide to cycle and at that point it wasn't being stopped by the slide stop. Just before i put it away i tried to cycle again and again the slide stop poped into place stopping it. One thing i can't remember is if the mag (empty) was in it all 3 different times. Would having the mag in/out affect this?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yep, it is completely normal for the tool to be difficult to remove, which as you mentioned, is not necessarily a bad thing since you know for sure that it is going to stay put until you NEED to remove it. Which leads me to my first question: Why do you need to remove the tool a lot? You don't really need it for disassembly as you can move the little lever with anything including your finger or cleaning rod or whatever else you can fit in there. You should only need to remove the tool to change grip inserts, which again, once you find the one you like, you will probably not be doing that again. When trying out the grip inserts, just leave the tool out so you can easily swap between inserts to find the one that feels best and then re-insert the tool one last time. If you really need to remove the tool, try putting a cloth rag between it and the pliers. If you remove it a lot, it will probably loosen up some over time (but never to the point that it will not stay put).

For the slide stop, yes, it does matter if the mag is in the gun or not. All semi-automatic handguns are designed to lock open the slide after you fire your last round and the magazine is empty. So, if you cycle the slide on an empty mag, the slide will stay open "by itself". What is actually happening is the follower in the mag is pushing up on the slide stop for you when it is empty.

Everyone was new to all this at one time in their lives. Welcome to the obsession.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Kgx2,

snscott is right in his statements!! There is one trick I use though that may help remove the tool without friggin it up. Take the flat part of the mag base and use it to turn the tool a quarter turn.mmIt really does help, and yes it will get easier after a few times taking it out. Go shoot and have some fun :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
No need to use the tool to disassemble the gun you can use just about anything that will fit to push the lever down. One thing that you should not use is your finger. In the S&W Armors school this was brought up and listed as a do not do by the instructor. The reason is what if the slide releases while your finger is down in the frame pushing on the lever. Your finger getting caught in the slide would ruin your day.

·
Registered
501 Posts
JDLSALES said:
No need to use the tool to disassemble the gun you can use just about anything that will fit to push the lever down. One thing that you should not use is your finger. In the S&W Armors school this was brought up and listed as a do not do by the instructor. The reason is what if the slide releases while your finger is down in the frame pushing on the lever. Your finger getting caught in the slide would ruin your day.

What a bunch of panty-waists. Now if you really want to know what smarts get yourself a nice "M1 thumb"

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've got a scar on my right thumb from an M1 clip insertion and yes, this is a clip and not a magazine. You can't call yourself a rifleman until you've experienced M1 thumb - ouch!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Somewhere on this forum, there is a post with pictures (IIRC) on how to place the flat portion of the tool on a table edge, press down hard and rotate the pistol to remove the tool. This works very well and they guy who figured this out is a genius.

rjs

·
Registered
512 Posts
snscott said:
Everyone was new to all this at one time in their lives. Welcome to the obsession.

This is also very true, it may seem like a silly question but we have all asked them at some point. This board is a wealth of information you can search for, and find just about anything. Be careful though, its addictive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts