MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to check out the iShot 9/40 mag pouches as part of this forum's pass and review arrangement. I've been interested in these pouches for quite a while. I wondered what I would find, especially in comparison to what I found here.

As I opened the package, my first impression was not a good one. These pouches are made with very thin kydex and they are quite flimsy. If you are not careful and do not re-insert the mag exactly as you should, you will have problems with the design opening up, especially if re-inserting the mag hard and fast. Not only could it pose a problem re-inserting the mags, but I'm guessing they will break before the similarly designed Ready Tactical pouches, unless its flimsiness actually works in its favor making it more pliable and able to take some abuse. I don't know.

The design is such that the mag pouch sits "dropped" from the belt. The lower the pouch rides the harder it is to get a quick but sure grip on the mag itself in order to reload, especially with my shortened mags w/ mag sleeves. That's not a deal-breaker, but an area that could be improved upon IMO. It does not ride significantly lower than the Ready Tactical pouch, but the RT was already low enough.

I was very impressed with the way the kydex was formed. It is perfect and very consistent between the two mag pouches I was sent. Something not often seen with handmade kydex products. The fit on the 1.5" belt was also perfect.

Retention was either great, or not so great, depending on your needs. The mag is not held very tight so if used for concealed carry, I imagine that its possible that the mag could pull out of the pouch if it the baseplate snagged on a seat belt, chair, or something. If the kydex was thicker, I assume this would be less likely. On the other hand, it is very fast of course.

I really wanted to like these mag pouches, but I will pass them on. I would probably purchase these pouches if they were made with thicker kydex, and if they weren't "dropped" off the belt as far.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Thanks for the input, we will investigate thicker kydex and see how it performs.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
FWIW, I think the thinner will be less likely to break as it is a bit more flexible. I have a bunch of the iShots and always snap them over my belt (call me lazy) I have yet to have one break. I also have them all numbered and my 1,2, and 3 get far more abuse than the others as I use them for practice near daily, so it is not like I am avioding injury by rotating stock.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well I finally have a free moment from the family to write my review for the mag pouches.

I noticed right away, like Chooch, how thin the kydex was. I think this is probably a good thing at least for me. I am quite round in the mid section, so these allowed some flexability. I did notice that after wearing one of the for a whole day, the clip was not as tight to the body of the mag pouch as the other one that I did not wear.

These pouches do hang down lower than my Comptac. This made them a little more comfortable (along with the extra flexabilty) to wear, but ultimately not as concealable, unless you wear baggy, longer shirts untucked. The Comptac sits higher and tighter, with a little less comfort.

The build quality and craftsmanship on these was amazing. If I did not know better, I would say there was no way these were hand made.

I think at the price point and drop design these would make great pouches for shooting sports. If I do finally talk my self into doing some shooting sports I will get several of these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts