MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I must say that i love this gun but not sure if its working as it should.

The bullets i was using were ... Winchester WinClean 115gr...i also cleanded the gun, just whiped it done before i shot.

Well i went out to shoot today, was outdoors shooting some 3/8 steel targets squares... but i shot the first one and wicked no probs, after like the 5-6 shot... the bullet case was getting stuck in the slide/chamber and i had to pull the slide back to get rid of it.... I dont think that is normal.... it was doing the same shooting everything out perfectly and then bang ...case stuck had to pull slide back to get rid of the empty casing...

I didnt have any lube... would this be its problem? or is it the bullets i was using?? or do i have to send it to S&W.

I hope to get the answer i want
this is a great forum and i know someone will chime in. I was hoping that i wouldnt have this problem with my first gun!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would try different ammo. Just use the major brands. Like Winchester, Remington, Speer, Hornady. It should digest any good ammo. If the problem is still there after a few different types. I would send it to S&W. They will take care of you. Good luck and happy shooting.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Ok, was the case halfway out of the slide standing upright?

was the case still setting above the mag with the slide back?

was the case still in the chamber?

fst it might be limp wristing. Are you a first time shooter? If so, have someone else try your pistol.

If it was the other 2, it still could be limp wristing, but I'd say that giving your pistol a good once over before you shoot it couldn't hurt.

Nother thing. Were these the first rounds through the gun? I could suggest letting it break in a bit.

I say get 200 rounds through it, then see how things go.

Lube is overrated anyway, I have well over 2k through my M&P with no formal cleanings/lubing.

Man I need to clean guns tonight.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Jester said:
Lube is overrated anyway, I have well over 2k through my M&P with no formal cleanings/lubing.

Man I need to clean guns tonight.

You marines I tell ya :roll: :roll: :roll: 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
try different ammo - I've used winclean 9mm in my glock and beretta without issue but I've heard a lot of others gripe about it - also how many rounds do you have through it? there is typically a break in period, a couple of hundred rounds - I've talked with guys who with many makes of guns, having issues the first few hundred rounds then once broken in, no problems at all -

·
Registered
32 Posts
First shoot

I purchased my M&P 9c a couple of days ago and finally got a chance to take it out to the range today. The first thing that I do with any firearm before I fire it is to field strip and clean it. This includes oiling all the manual recommended spots. And of course it gives me chance to become more familiar with the innards of the firearm. 8) I shot about 12 hydrashocks and 50 WWB today without one hiccup. I think a cleaning goes a long way in reducing the probability that there will be problems. Clean it and take it out and follow Jester's advice, shoot a couple hundred more rounds. It should smooth right out. Enjoy and be safe!

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Did the empty case remain in the chamber? Did it only happen once?

I had an empty case remain in the chamber once. I don't know what to make of it but many here believe it's directly attributed to Winchester ammo but I don't agree. Regardless, since your gun is new get some more rounds through it before you start worrying about it. Try some different brands of ammo and get a case through it to help break it in.

I know it doesn't 'fix' your situation but this isn't something that seems to happen after a gun gets some rounds through the pipe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: First shoot

Anhinga said:
The first thing that I do with any firearm before I fire it is to field strip and clean it. This includes oiling all the manual recommended spots.

Just my $.02
What are the recommended oiling spots? I'm awaiting delivery of my new M&P9 so when I get it I want to start off right. This is my first hand gun so the only oil I have is Remington oil I use on my shotguns . Will that work for now or should I invest in some other oil/lube before getting the gun to the range?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Re: First shoot

gwave969 said:
[quote name='Anhinga'] The first thing that I do with any firearm before I fire it is to field strip and clean it. This includes oiling all the manual recommended spots.

Just my $.02
What are the recommended oiling spots? I'm awaiting delivery of my new M&P9 so when I get it I want to start off right. This is my first hand gun so the only oil I have is Remington oil I use on my shotguns . Will that work for now or should I invest in some other oil/lube before getting the gun to the range?[/quote]

As the saying goes "When all else fails READ THE BOOK "S&W lists specific lubrication instructions in the manual shipped with the pistol. Rem oil will work.

Grip the pistol tightly and you will experience fewer FTE's etc. :twisted:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I experienced three failure to extracts - the type that left the spent round in the chamber. This was a clean weapon, shooting WWB. This happened to both my wife and I. I of course attributed her problem to lim wristing but it happened twice to me. I thoroughly cleaned and will be trying Blazer next to see if I have anymore problems. Hopefully I won't, I really love this gun. The M&P is an awesome platform - quite worthy of IDPA as soon as I get the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok this might be a stupid question , but how long will a drop of oil last on the oiling platforms under the slides? Is this something I need to re-do every 100 rounds or more like 500 rounds?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Slide Glide Lite

gwave969 said:
Ok this might be a stupid question , but how long will a drop of oil last on the oiling platforms under the slides? Is this something I need to re-do every 100 rounds or more like 500 rounds?

I have been using Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite ( www.brianenos.com ) on the slides of all my autos where ever there is movement. That stuff is really slick and I suspect it would stay where you put it for a very long time. I always completely clean my guns after firing them so I've never tested how long the this lubricant will last. :roll:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update #2

An update for everyone,

So my first experince i had some FTE on my new pistol using WWB-WinClean 115gr BEB.

After i posted what happened i gave the pistol a mean cleaning... didnt do the bore (waiting for the bush) with Hoppes#9 & Breakfree Powder Blast from CLP on the frame/slide etc. cleaned the extrator and all around there with a toothbrush. Lube it up and it was ready to go!

Now i wanted to use a diff ammo, but the REM UMC was all out i was like s***.

Well i bought (only choice) not the winclean that i first bought, but WWB FMJ @ 115gr & 124gr.

Went to a outdoor range last weekend and not ONE SINGLE FTE!!!
I even had 3 boxes of the Winclean left and i said hey lets try these again and see.... well good news the gun shot those bullets without a problem! Now im not sure if it was ammo related, needed a better cleaning or just a break-in period i was soooo puzzled but very happy!

I will still like to try the Remington UMC's and see the outcome... but other then that remember to clean and clean and clean! Ill give a thrid update once i go again. Thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. It helps newb shooters like me to learn from others' experiences. Speaking for my myself, I expect that for a while I'm going to have to think that whenever there's a problem, that it's me and not the gun. As experience builds, hopefully that possibility gets less and less.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Chessie724 said:
Thanks for the follow-up. It helps newb shooters like me to learn from others' experiences. Speaking for my myself, I expect that for a while I'm going to have to think that whenever there's a problem, that it's me and not the gun. As experience builds, hopefully that possibility gets less and less.

You are still learning and not afraid to admit it!!!

You will go far in life. :twisted:

·
Registered
119 Posts
gwave969 said:

How long the oil will lasts depends on the environment that you are shooting in. Dusty, wet and hot environments will potentially cause your lubricant to react differently.

I have been using Militec-1 dry impregnated lubricant on ALL of my firearms and folding knives with great success. Once you apply the initial treatment you will probably never go back to another lube...and yes, it works great for cleaning too. A heat treatment is recommended for the initial application so I use a hair-dryer to "bake" it into the metal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts