MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my second trip to the range with my new M&P 40c yesterday the mag started falling out when I fired. It only happened when I'd use the mag with the pinky extension, but it started happening every time. I tried adjusting my grip, making sure I did not contact the mag release.

I told the guy at the service desk and he offered to ship the gun back to Smith & Wesson for me. I was so disappointed, I was ready to trade it in for something else, but he convinced me to give the people at S&W a chance to make things right .

I love the feel of the pistol and it will serve the purpose I've intended for it, but if I can't rely on it 100% I'm not gonna keep it!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
sandbagger40 said:
On my second trip to the range with my new M&P 40c yesterday the mag started falling out when I fired. It only happened when I'd use the mag with the pinky extension, but it started happening every time. I tried adjusting my grip, making sure I did not contact the mag release.

I told the guy at the service desk and he offered to ship the gun back to Smith & Wesson for me. I was so disappointed, I was ready to trade it in for something else, but he convinced me to give the people at S&W a chance to make things right .

I love the feel of the pistol and it will serve the purpose I've intended for it, but if I can't rely on it 100% I'm not gonna keep it!

D--n! Sorry to hear that. Get that gun off toe S&W real quick and hold their tush to the fire. What the heck is going on with these guns!
Unacceptable but it will get fixed, hang in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man I hope you guys are right! I really enjoy shooting this pistol, but I won't trust my life to one that I don't have any faith in.

·
Registered
638 Posts
sandbagger40 said:
Man I hope you guys are right! I really enjoy shooting this pistol, but I won't trust my life to one that I don't have any faith in.

Yep, not a confidence builder but I remain optimistic. Both my 40c and 9c have required trips back to the factory. At this point - as much as I would like a .357Sig M&Pc, I don't think I will get a third M&P, not for a while anyway. The problem is, it's a heckuva nice gun when they perform 100 percent. Other than my Keltecs, the M&Pc is the only gun (2) that I have had to send back to the factory for warranty repair in over 25 years of gun owneership. Forget who pays for the shipping, I get very nervous about sending guns through the mail, that and the downtime involved.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Has S&W said what is causing the problem and what the fix is? I have about 300 rds through my compact and worried about carrying it now.. My full size has been great except for a problem with a dirty range mag.. But after 3000rds and not cleaning the mag.. Well.. That was my fault.. :oops: I know I can trust my full size.. But I can't carry it except for cold days.. I got my compact to carry... Hmm... I guess I will keep my eye on the board and keep shooting and practicing with it.. When I have 1000rds through it and not have a problem.. I will trust it more...

Ben

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is starting to tick me off.

I've only shot ten rounds throught my 40c, so I'm gonna find out I got a problem in the middle of a fight!!!

This thing is getting ready to hit the road.

I will lose my tail if I try to sale it with all these problems...

·
Registered
638 Posts
itr674 said:
This is starting to tick me off.

I've only shot ten rounds throught my 40c, so I'm gonna find out I got a problem in the middle of a fight!!!

This thing is getting ready to hit the road.

I will lose my tail if I try to sale it with all these problems...

The clock is ticking. Smith and Wesson has got to make things right without folks having to send their guns back, sometimes once, sometimes twice. The M&P has been out for over a year now correct? Could it be they just have too many different design handguns and are not putting these guns through the paces in the testing phase? I would pull every third gun off the line and put a thousand rounds through it. But that's easy for me to say. I still like this gun and feel bad for those who are having problems.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A lot of folks don't think there is anything wrong with the recoil spring dust cover and slide not being parallel up front, but I think it's sloppy engineering and that problems are starting to show elsewhere now.

I'm going to see if I can get rid of mine this weekend at a gun show...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't fired mine yet. I'm now having second thoughts after reading all of the negative reviews. This upsets me a bit because all I heard about the M&P was that it was way better than a glock, and is a must own. Hmmm :roll: , it's decision time.

Anyone out there having tons of fun with their M&P, and have fired many rounds of ammo trouble free. Reassure me that I made a good purchase.

·
Registered
259 Posts
1500 rounds through mine in the past 3 months and absolutly no problems mp40 fullsize. MPB7xxx

·
Registered
48 Posts
The mag drop problem won't be fixed...

The mag drop problem won't be fixed until they make bigger magazines or smaller magazine wells in the pistols. It's my opinion that the mag catch design that they use on the M&P requires much tighter magazine well tolerances than what I've seen in both my compacts, which are now back at S&W for the mag catch problem for a 2nd time, by the way. The flexing of the frame during recoil coupled with a mag that's bouncing around inside the magazine well is all it takes for the small contact area of the mag catch tooth to disengage from the mag and cause the mag to pop out. This is the fundamental cause of the problem, in my mind. To wit, I've been able to push a fully seated magazine out of my compact 40 by wiggling the top of the mag around with my finger. That is impossible to do on any of the other pistols I own.

I'm just wondering how many times I'm going to have to send them back to S&W before they REALLY fix this problem with new frames/magazines that are properly sized for one another. :roll:

And I've noticed on the recent mag drop poll that approximately 20 percent of the people responding to the poll have experienced this problem. If anyone thinks that 1 in 5 are good enough odds for you when you need these pistols the most, like namely to save your life, well, I'm of a different opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So far so good with my M&P 9 and 40 compacts. The mags stay put until I exert pressure on the mag release button. I don't doubt some are having problems. Is there any ryhme or reason concerning the manufacturing period of the problem firearms? The date code on my 40c is MPM and the date code on my 9c is MPL.

Dennis

·
Registered
48 Posts
Be sure to...

Word to the wise...be sure to thoroughly test any firearm you choose to use as your primary carry weapon, especially auto-loaders, with the actual defensive ammo you will carry in it before thinking it's 100% reliable. I know of people who only practice with plinking ammo and never put their defensive ammo through their guns because of the perceived higher short-term cost. This is just plain dumb and dangerous. You should regularly practice with your defensive ammo as a ongoing training regimen to qualify your weapon's functioning and to build and maintain your shooting skills with what are usually hotter loads than standard plinking ammo. I know of no other way to give myself the piece of mind I need to carry with confidence that both I and my weapon will most likely function properly when the poop hits the fan.

I'm partial to Speer Gold Dots for my defensive ammo, which are "hotter" than standard plinking rounds. I really started experiencing the mag drop problem consistently when practicing using my Gold Dot carry ammo and had fewer mag drops using plinking Winchester white box from Wally World. Obviously, this is an unacceptable level of reliability for a firearm for it to be considered for use as primary carry weapon. No matter what you brand of defensive ammo you are partial to, you owe it to yourself to eliminate all practical doubt that it will indeed work when you need it the most.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: Be sure to...

APismoClam said:
Word to the wise...be sure to thoroughly test any firearm you choose to use as your primary carry weapon, especially auto-loaders, with the actual defensive ammo you will carry in it before thinking it's 100% reliable. I know of people who only practice with plinking ammo and never put their defensive ammo through their guns because of the perceived higher short-term cost. This is just plain dumb and dangerous. You should regularly practice with your defensive ammo as a ongoing training regimen to qualify your weapon's functioning and to build and maintain your shooting skills with what are usually hotter loads than standard plinking ammo. I know of no other way to give myself the piece of mind I need to carry with confidence that both I and my weapon will most likely function properly when the poop hits the fan.

I'm partial to Speer Gold Dots for my defensive ammo, which are "hotter" than standard plinking rounds. I really started experiencing the mag drop problem consistently when practicing using my Gold Dot carry ammo and had fewer mag drops using plinking Winchester white box from Wally World. Obviously, this is an unacceptable level of reliability for a firearm for it to be considered for use as primary carry weapon. No matter what you brand of defensive ammo you are partial to, you owe it to yourself to eliminate all practical doubt that it will indeed work when you need it the most.

I don't think the Wally world Winchester white box is any better. I've used both Blazer and Winchester and had a problem with both. My 9c is only 250 rounds old.

·
Registered
206 Posts
nikon777 said:
Full size 9 on my hip now. its been 100% out of the box. This problems seems to be more so with the compacts.

I know.. My full size has been great, very reliable, and I very accurate with it..

I am going to the range this weekend and will be shooting about 500rds through my compact.. Going to practice my conceal draw.. I will let you know if I have a mag drop issue..

Ben

1 - 20 of 22 Posts