MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of pistols with adjustable backstraps, Walther P99, HK P2000, and a recently purchased PX4, but none that actually change the feel of the grip the way the M&P does. I started out with the medium insert that came out of the factory, but since then I've put the small grip on all three of my pistols. My hand is small to medium, so I suppose that's why it feels so unbelievable, but I swear I've never held a pistol before that felt like it was custom designed for my hand!

I'm either holding 16 rounds of .40 S&W, 18 or 13 rounds of 9mm, and I'd swear I was holding a single stack traditional 1911! I'm sure this can and will be copied in short order, but for now once again I have to applaud Smith and Wesson for if nothing else, state of the art ergonomics for a handgun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jagman,

I have to agree. I started out with the small backstrap myself, but after I shot a while it seemed like the gun was moving a little in my hand, so I went back to the mid size. I did like the feel of the small backstrap, and in fact, when I compared the two, it's really hard to see a difference, but there is some.

I'll have to admit that I really, really like Sigs and Beretta 92FS. I took the 92FS to my Blackwater Level II handgun course and it was great. I just recently ordered two 18 round Mecgar mags and a +2 extender for my 92FS. I loaded a mag up, holstered my 92 and immediately thought this thing is heavy. I had gotten use to the M&P's weight.

I checked them and the M&P with 18 124gn JHPs weighs over 7 oz less than my 92FS with 18 rounds of the same ammo. The M&P is a good inch shorter (bbl.) and still has a slightly longer sight radius than the 92FS! I took my 92 to the range yesterday and shot 25 rounds and switched to the M&P. I like the M&P!

I was shooting five shot strings at a B-27 at 21 feet. The drill was to hit nothing but the 10 ring or better while firing at a rate of one shot per second. Out of 20 rounds, one shot missed the 10 ring, but I averaged the five strings and my rate of fire was 1.5 rounds per second and the string I missed one was an average rate of 1.7 rounds per second.

Well, I've drifted shamefully here, but I guess it's clear that I am excited about the M&P. I may give the small backstrap another try. I really liked the way it felt, and maybe I can make an adjustment in my grip to hold the gun more secure.

Now if Mecgar would just make some 18 round mags and +2 extenders....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tangle...we share the same passion. Major SIG Sauer enthusiast here, but since getting into these guns I don't seem to have much interest in anything else, including my other plastic guns, Glocks and HK's. I've only shot the 9's with the small grip, but will be taking the .40 out today. Maybe I'll determine that the med works best for it. I hope not though, cause the small feels so good, plus, the grip tool is so damn tight on the new .40 it's a major chore to work it out:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Jagman said:
Tangle...we share the same passion. Major SIG Sauer enthusiast here, but since getting into these guns I don't seem to have much interest in anything else, including my other plastic guns, Glocks and HK's.
Ditto that for me. I dearly love H&K USPf9, P2000 (9mm), Sig 226/229, Beretta 92FS, got five Glocks, but I couldn't say it better - "...since getting into these guns [M&P] I don't seem to have much interest in anything else....

I could understand this if I hadn't been shooting long, but I have been and I've never been so pleased with the performance of a gun and my performance with it.

Jagman said:
...I hope not though, cause the small feels so good, plus, the grip tool is so damn tight on the new .40 it's a major chore to work it out:)
LOL! I hear ya! Mine was so tight I had to use a soft-jawed vice to release it and I thought it was gonna break. It's a bit easier now.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I switched back to the medium grip insert today mid range session. While my groups with my full size 9mm have always been very good, I did start shooting better with the medium grip insert. It does feel AWFULLY good by the way. The small feels great too though, but I think the subtle palm swells on the medium round it out just ever so slightly to give it a firmer grip.

E

·
0 Posts
You got hands smaller than most girls

hehe, well my fingers are long, so I use the large grip myself so I don't jerk my shots to the left whenever I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eddo36 said:
You got hands smaller than most girls

hehe, well my fingers are long, so I use the large grip myself so I don't jerk my shots to the left whenever I pull the trigger.

If you're jerking your shots to the left when pulling the trigger, it likely has to do with more than grip size. You need to practive more.

Girly Man

E

·
0 Posts
Actually, I need the large grip to properly place the pad of my finger on the trigger, since I got long fingers. Otherwise, the group goes to the left, since my trigger pull cause the gun to jerk left.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used the small grip insert and a Pachmayr wrap. It gives the best feel to me. Personaly, I would like to see Sims make an insert for the M&P. Their recoil pads are great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the extra thickness of the large grips where the web of my hand is, but I don't like the palm swells. None of the three grips is exactly right for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
FLM said:
I like the extra thickness of the large grips where the web of my hand is, but I don't like the palm swells. None of the three grips is exactly right for me.

Try the medium insert and a Pachmayr grip sleeve. It made a difference to me. Even though I used the small insert and a grip sleeve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts