MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I should have a substantial tax return this year and I want to get an AR for defense, hunting, sporting, and coolness purposes. I think that since the M&P 15 is made by a good company and it has a lifetime warranty, it would be the ideal gun to get. I know someone who thinks that the Bushmasters are better, but I'm pretty firm in my position. Am I going good so far?



I know nothing about AR's except some specs. That's it.



Now here are some important questions. Where can I get the cheapest one? How easy is it to add stuff onto? And could someone explain to me the the significance of the difference between the 15 and the 15A?



I think that in the future I would like to add a red dot sight, and flashlight and maybe a front grip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
MilitaryPower said:
And could someone explain to me the the significance of the difference between the 15 and the 15A?


The M&P15 has a removable carry handle/adjustable dual aperture rear sight.

The M&P15A has a removable adjustable folding rear battle sight.

Otherwise they are the exact same flat top rifle.





KO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I guess that the M&P 15A would be a better choice if I wanted to add anything later and save a couple bucks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
Personally that was my choice, for under $900.00 you can't beat it. If you're LEO or military I could send you a link to a guy who will sell with a discount. I bought mine for $825.00 with shipping, so if your LEO or military its a good buy. If not, Bud's is still the cheapest. I originally ordered the 15T, but luckily I had to wait for delivery which gave me time to think about the 15T vs. the 15A. The 15T has all Troy Industries iron sights that are removable and flip--down. It also has a full length free float forend without bayonet lug. The 15A has removable hand carry and a front sight post with removable rear iron sights from Troy Industries . I decided on the obvious, but I just didn't like the 15T options after all. I saved about $300.00 that I spent towards optics, yes I spent money on a rail forend from Midwest Industries but cost effectively speaking I believe I saved money. I am not a hand rail guy, I have had enough of that worthless piece of junk for the last 19 years. The 15 was not an option, also it does not come with a rear sight. Overall, the 15A is a great platform to which you could virtually do anything you like, so have fun and enjoy.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
MilitaryPower said:
So I guess that the M&P 15A would be a better choice if I wanted to add anything later and save a couple bucks?






The 15A would be my choice. Shoot me an e-mail and I will try and save you some money on one.



[email protected]







C4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's it! With all this crap happening in this country and the people trying to take our guns away from us, I am going to get myself one of these babies and some extra mags as soon as possible.
 

·
Site Staff
Joined
·
9,613 Posts
I think I just paid for your refund!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All right. Gunshow time. I'm going to see if I can get one for under $1000. If not then I'll buy one online. I'll want to take it to the range right afterwards, anything I should do to it first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
C4iGrant said:
[quote name='MilitaryPower']So I guess that the M&P 15A would be a better choice if I wanted to add anything later and save a couple bucks?






The 15A would be my choice. Shoot me an e-mail and I will try and save you some money on one.



[email protected]







C4[/quote]



hi grant,

noticed that you are a GR tactical man i noticed that they sell LMT stuff, what kind of prices can you get? on a lower and upper with BCG all standard nothing to special? thanks again grant you are the4 AR man in my book





also i just bought 2 AR burnwells 30 rd mags for $20 with mil-spec green followers, is that a good price??? i guess it dont matter i have the anyways, but might get more so....



oh and a future buyer of a M&P 15A big +1!!!(will have in about 3 weeks and will have a report)

and again thanks grant!!! and everyone else on this kick A$% forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



kirby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
kirby25 said:
[quote name='C4iGrant'][quote name='MilitaryPower']So I guess that the M&P 15A would be a better choice if I wanted to add anything later and save a couple bucks?






The 15A would be my choice. Shoot me an e-mail and I will try and save you some money on one.



[email protected]







C4[/quote]



hi grant,

noticed that you are a GR tactical man i noticed that they sell LMT stuff, what kind of prices can you get? on a lower and upper with BCG all standard nothing to special? thanks again grant you are the4 AR man in my book





also i just bought 2 AR burnwells 30 rd mags for $20 with mil-spec green followers, is that a good price??? i guess it dont matter i have the anyways, but might get more so....



oh and a future buyer of a M&P 15A big +1!!!(will have in about 3 weeks and will have a report)

and again thanks grant!!! and everyone else on this kick A$% forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



kirby[/quote]



Shoot me an e-mail for my LMT pricing. [email protected]



I have never heard of burnwells mags (sorry). The Green followers are ok, but the best ones are the Magpul anti-tilt ones. USGI mags (with green followers) for $11.95-$10.95.





C4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Here's a pic of my M4A3 set-up ...







It's a Bushmaster. Very good build quality and accuracy. I originally bought the A3 for the flat top, but soon found that the sight picture was too low for me. The buttstock would be almost off my shoulder, which with an AR won't give you a very repeatable sight alignment.



Here's an interesting read: http://shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/DAVISON1/davison1.html



So I put the carry handle on, with the tacticle mount in the carry handle and the red-dot on top of it. I use a Delta cheek piece for sight alignment.



Never knew S&W made an AR until I bought my M&P, so I don't know about their quality and accuracy.



AR's are very nice guns, you will be happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright. In spite of a huge mixup where they charged me twice the price, I got one for $960. I put 100 rounds through it and I like it. I'll need some suggestions on some stuff. I need a sling for it for one thing. I don't know whether to get a red dot or a scope (or do they make both into one?). At the local range, the closest target I can shoot with a rifle is 50 yards. I put a nice handful into an eight inch group with irons sights but I'd like something more. I don't plan on shooting more than 150-200 yards. Don't know much about AR's unlike some of you guys, so lay down some knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
Let's see some pics.... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
MilitaryPower said:
Alright. In spite of a huge mixup where they charged me twice the price, I got one for $960. I put 100 rounds through it and I like it. I'll need some suggestions on some stuff. I need a sling for it for one thing. I don't know whether to get a red dot or a scope (or do they make both into one?). At the local range, the closest target I can shoot with a rifle is 50 yards. I put a nice handful into an eight inch group with irons sights but I'd like something more. I don't plan on shooting more than 150-200 yards. Don't know much about AR's unlike some of you guys, so lay down some knowledge.


Congrats on the purchase ... what brand did you get?



Need to check the specs because that group is way big for 50 yards. But hey, your first time out? What brand ammo, type, grain?



I'd go with the red-dot on a 16" barrel, the scope on the 20". There is a Trijicon sight that is set-up for the 62gr M855, which is also illuminated, but it costs more than your rifle.



We qualified 600m w/ the iron sights before we got scopes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, so far I have about 250 rounds through it so far. I can't seem to hit very accurately at 50yds. I should get a spotting scope to see where I hit though. I guess I should sight it in after 500 rounds? Speaking of sighting, the rear sight keeps on coming loose. Put some Locktite on it?



So far I've mainly been shooting Remington 55 grain ammo. One jam. How much should I clean it after shooting? Now I just clean the barrel and what I can get to when I open it right up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,726 Posts
That's good news... So did you use your iron sights for your initial zero, or did you use your optics? It is odd that your BUIS is loose, I would use the loctite; you can usually tighten them with a socket fairly tight too.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top