MP-Pistol Forum banner

JHP vs FTX

Tags
ammo ftx jhp
4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sandog 
#1 ·
I'm a fairly new 9mm M&P owner. Purchased just before the lockdowns just as the 9mm ammo scarcity hit. I was able to get enough target ammo for practice and managed to get 200 rounds of CCI 115 grain JHP ammo which I planned to use as our home defense rounds until I can find something better. Ran through some at the range and feel fine with it.

This weekend I was able to pick up 75 rounds of Hornady critical defense FTX ammo, also 115 grain. I havent fired it yet but I am considering switching that to my home defense ammo after I try it out. I've literally only shot FMJ and JHP so far. Any opinions on FTX vs JHP?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Assuming your particular gun is reliable with the FTX, it is the better defensive ammo as it is designed and manufactured specifically for that purpose. Did you buy CCI's generic JHP or Gold Dot? If not Gold Dot then it is certainly better than FMJ but is not as sophisticated a bullet design and is basically somewhat upgraded range ammo.

#6 ·
I'm a fairly new 9mm M&P owner. Purchased just before the lockdowns just as the 9mm ammo scarcity hit. I was able to get enough target ammo for practice and managed to get 200 rounds of CCI 115 grain JHP ammo which I planned to use as our home defense rounds until I can find something better. Ran through some at the range and feel fine with it.

This weekend I was able to pick up 75 rounds of Hornady critical defense FTX ammo, also 115 grain. I havent fired it yet but I am considering switching that to my home defense ammo after I try it out. I've literally only shot FMJ and JHP so far. Any opinions on FTX vs JHP?

Thanks in advance
The FTX is a jacketed hollow point like all the rest of the defensive ammo designed for expansion on impact with the target.

Advanced loadings use powders that have lower flash, better performance and expansion, recoil options. The main point of the matter is can you hit what you aim at? Shoot it and see how it groups. Then let it do its job. It really needs to hit your point of aim before it can do anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.