MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Bay News 9: Tampa jogger shoots, kills after being confronted

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is investigating a deadly shooting that stemmed from a possible robbery attempt.

According to deputies, Thomas Baker, 28, was jogging at 1:30 a.m. through a Town 'N Country neighborhood at Pinehurst Drive and Hickory Circle when two men wearing all black and hoodies approached him.

Authorities said the men began talking to the jogger and an altercation broke out. Baker pulled out a .45 caliber handgun and fired at least one shot. Deputies said an 18-year-old man, later identified as Carlos Musteliel, was shot. He died at the scene.

Baker, who lives on Hickory Circle, told deputies that he believed he was going to be robbed, and thought one of the males was brandishing a weapon.

Baker pulled his .45-caliber pistol and shot Musteliel multiple times in the upper torso. Officials said the other male ran from the scene, and is believed to have hidden behind a nearby house and discarded his jacket in the yard.

The second male returned to the scene when deputies arrived. The teenager is considered a witness and will not be identified.

Baker, who has a Florida concealed weapons permit, called 911 and remained with Musteliel until deputies came on the scene.

This investigation is active and ongoing. There are no criminal charges against Baker at this time. Detectives are conferring with the Hillsborough County State Atttorney's Office and will be referring the case to prosecutors for action.

You know, when he probably shouldn't have been jogging in Tampa around 1 am, at least he was protecting himself legally. Great example of good standing citizen saving his own life from this garbage.

Chalk up another one for the good guys/gun guys! another piece of trash taken to the dump!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I find it very troubling that the second man returned to the scene after the police showed up. Me thinks all the facts aren't in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hate to play devils advocate here but common sense tells you that if you're jogging at 1:30 AM you may be looking for trouble. Maybe I'm goingto get flamed for this but opinions are like a$$holes, eveybody's got one.

At 1:30 in the morning even the best neighborhood is crawling with people looking for targets of opportunity. If you purposely make yourself a target of opportunity arent you inviting trouble. Come on, jogging, do it at 9:00 PM before the creatures of the night return. I'm not a fitness nut but I know tons of nuts of all kinds. most of them are in bed at 1:30 AM. Sounds to me like this guy was up to something or he was out looking for trouble to diffuse.

Just my .02

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to play devils advocate here but common sense tells you that if you're jogging at 1:30 AM you may be looking for trouble. Maybe I'm goingto get flamed for this but opinions are like a$$holes, eveybody's got one.

At 1:30 in the morning even the best neighborhood is crawling with people looking for targets of opportunity. If you purposely make yourself a target of opportunity arent you inviting trouble. Come on, jogging, do it at 9:00 PM before the creatures of the night return. I'm not a fitness nut but I know tons of nuts of all kinds. most of them are in bed at 1:30 AM. Sounds to me like this guy was up to something or he was out looking for trouble to diffuse.

Just my .02

You know, a lot of people will have this argument, BUT he may have a really screwed up work schedule. After all, as an American, if you want to jog at 1am, you can. I know I wouldn't jog at 1am, but if I HAD to, I would carry just like this guy.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I live next door to Tampa in St Pete Beach. Sometimes, jogging at 1 am is the best time... It's under 85 degrees...

LOL

Yes, the high today will be over 80.

I'll reserve judgment on the details.

Jeff

·
Registered
85 Posts
You know, a lot of people will have this argument, BUT he may have a really screwed up work schedule. After all, as an American, if you want to jog at 1am, you can. I know I wouldn't jog at 1am, but if I HAD to, I would carry just like this guy.

I know its his right to jog whenever he wants to, and i get the temperature thing. I used to live in Jacksonville. I am just a big fan of common sense. This story seems to lack some facts. If they had said he was on a neighborhood watch partol or was bringing in groceries after going to the 24 hr. walmart I wouldnt have said anything...... Get a treadmill and run in front of your bigscreen TV while watching CNN if you want to jog at 1:30 AM. I have heard of people intentionally going to gas stations and mini-marts at 2:00 AM just to see if they can find someone to exercise their 2a rights on. I agree 100% with being prepared for self defense I just dont agree with putting yourself in a situation that you are more likely to have to defend yourself just for the excitement of it. OK, I'm off the topic since I dont know all the facts.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know its his right to jog whenever he wants to, and i get the temperature thing. I used to live in Jacksonville. I am just a big fan of common sense. This story seems to lack some facts. If they had said he was on a neighborhood watch partol or was bringing in groceries after going to the 24 hr. walmart I wouldnt have said anything...... Get a treadmill and run in front of your bigscreen TV while watching CNN if you want to jog at 1:30 AM. I have heard of people intentionally going to gas stations and mini-marts at 2:00 AM just to see if they can find someone to exercise their 2a rights on. I agree 100% with being prepared for self defense I just dont agree with putting yourself in a situation that you are more likely to have to defend yourself just for the excitement of it. OK, I'm off the topic since I dont know all the facts.

Thats the only thing I dont agree with, is him running at 1am, like you said, get a treadmill( i know they are not the same as real jogging, but.....IE the obvious) its stupid that people do things like look for trouble to use their 2a rights on....gives a bad rap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thats the only thing I dont agree with, is him running at 1am, like you said, get a treadmill( i know they are not the same as real jogging, but.....IE the obvious) its stupid that people do things like look for trouble to use their 2a rights on....gives a bad rap.

Let me get this straight......the guy jogging at 1:30 am is the problem..... not the 2 punks walking the streets at 1:30am. WOW!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts

Thats my exact argument. I have seen too many people to stupid things just because its their right to do it. Legally it sounds like this guy was within his rights, logically he needs a slap in the head. I'm sure if this is a case of justified shooting we will not hear any more about it. But if this guy did something wrong it will be all over the news about how another gun toting maniac shot an inocent kid looking for directions...... Leave no whitnesses.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Let me get this straight......the guy jogging at 1:30 am is the problem..... not the 2 punks walking the streets at 1:30am. WOW!!!

Like I said Opinions are like a$$holes, every bodys got one. This is mine. I didnt say he was a problem, I just said he didnt exercise good common sense..... in MY opinion.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said Opinions are like a$$holes, every bodys got one. This is mine. I didnt say he was a problem, I just said he didnt exercise good common sense..... in MY opinion.

SS44gp, I said that to agree with mmelanev, It might not be the best decision, but believe you and me, I fully support the jogger if he in fact was being attacked. He can jog when he wants, I know I wouldn't be jogging in tampa though at that time....

·
Registered
85 Posts
SS44gp, I said that to agree with mmelanev, It might not be the best decision, but believe you and me, I fully support the jogger if he in fact was being attacked. He can jog when he wants, I know I wouldn't be jogging in tampa though at that time....

That shows good common sense.....

I never said I didnt agree with the guy shooting his attacker (if in fact it was an attack), COMMON SENSE.

By the way I jog, Where the hell can you put a .45 in a jogging outfit that wont make your pants fall down or your gun fly out all the time? I want going to say this but since we are getting a little more in to it why not?

·
Registered
16 Posts

I don't know all the facts and I don't think any of us do at this time but some of you have eluded to the 2a thing as if he was looking for trouble. Yes probably not the smartest thing to jog at 1;00am but we don't know his schedule and I'm not going to slam the guy for doing it.

BG are BG and until we stand up and stop altering are life style because of them things will only get worse. I'll get off my soapbox now. Your "opinions are like a$$holes" comment was wasn't called for but I do clearly see your opinion.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought about where you could have that .45 in jogging atire, but, the humidity last night made the air pretty cool for us Floridians LOL. I will be watching this story closely to see all the new details and facts.

Some say drug deal gone bad. Well, why call 911 and wait for the police as you stand over the kids bleeding body......why not just run like the rest of em' do? lol

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know all the facts and I don't think any of us do at this time but some of you have eluded to the 2a thing as if he was looking for trouble. Yes probably not the smartest thing to jog at 1;00am but we don't know his schedule and I'm not going to slam the guy for doing it.

BG are BG and until we stand up and stop altering are life style because of them things will only get worse. I'll get off my soapbox now. Your "opinions are like a$$holes" comment was wasn't called for but I do clearly see your opinion.

the 2a rights thing was said as a comment that the poster said they heard stories of people abusing that right and how they go out looking for trouble. All just to use & abuse their 2a rights.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Something doesn't seem right about this preliminary report.

The other alleged assailant remains at the scene and the report indicated the CCW holder said, " he believed he was going to be robbed and thought one was brandishing a weapon."

I know it's only a preliminary report, but if you just shot and killed someone, you better be able to say, I was in imminent danger of death as I was being robbed, there is the weapon that was used against my life.

Hopefully, these facts will come out, but the prelim report doesn't suggest conclusiveness at all.

God Bless,

David

·
Registered
85 Posts

Sorry for my uncalled for statement. Its just a saying I've always used.

I respect your opinion, and I also agree with you. I stand behind this guy 100% if it is truly what it sounds like.

You are correct no one knows the facts yet so its kind of a pointless conversation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry for my uncalled for statement. Its just a saying I've always used.

I respect your opinion, and I also agree with you. I stand behind this guy 100% if it is truly what it sounds like.

You are correct no one knows the facts yet so its kind of a pointless conversation.

I looked back and see you use that saying...no problem.

I agree, lots of holes to fill in with regards to what happened.Lets hope it was justified for shooters sake and all gun owners.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts