MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents, I'm new to the forum and find it nice to have a foarum that is gun/model specific. It sure makes it easier to zero in on a topic or area of a gun with everyone working off the same sheet of music.

jPoint/Doctor red dot sights make a rear sight mount for the S&W Sigma/VE series pistorls and I was wondering if any of you guy's know if there is a rear sight mount out there for the M&P's? They have them for 1911's, Kinmer, Clock, Springfield, Sigma's,etc. and from what I hear ...they work very well and believe it or not hold up great sitting on the back of those slides.

I would love a red dot on my M&G full size 40 so if you can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
524 Posts
...They have them for 1911's, Kinmer, Clock, Springfield, Sigma's,etc. and from what I hear ...they work very well and believe it or not hold up great sitting on the back of those slides.

I would love a red dot on my M&G full size 40...

Click Here: This might help you

Just ribbing you some. Sorry I can't offer any help with your questions BUT I can offer some comic relief!
Good luck, someones bound to know on here.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
If I remember correctly the MP series has a different size dovetail for the rear sight, that's why various companies are having to come up with special rear sights for the MP pistols. That would mean it would need a new mounting, or someone to adapt one of the current mountings to fit.

If this is bad information someone should correct me...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, maybe they'll be coming out with a mount for the M&P's now that they see how well they've been selling.

CCN.....I need a drink!!!! lol

Jim

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey digging this up because you might want to contact David Bowie of Bowie Tactical, hes a site sponsor and I read on another forum that he was using a JPoint on his duty weapon. I bet he would know a thing or two about mounting up the sight to the M&P.

Hope that helps Jim!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
The M&P dovetail is different from the Sigma. I am lookng into mounting J-points directly on the M&P slide by milling it in like I do on Glocks. I just have not had the time to dig into it yet.

CHECK 360

David

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey David,

You were running them on your duty glock weren't you? How did the JPoint hold up, I thought these things were mainly for race guns or as CQB sights for scoped long rifles. Are they as stark a contrast as irons on a rifle to a red dot sight? I've never had a chance to fiddle with them in person. But I'd be worried they'd crack fairly easily (say, after rolling around the ground some in a fight)

Short comings?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
NO on the easy cracking. I purposely beat mine pretty hard against posts and it help up including point of aim. The only problem I have had is finding a good anti fog agent for plastic and if you life finds you in mud alot them it's not your sight. Rain has been no problem. If you were a concealed carry holder where it is under something all the time then it is awsome. Battery life on mine in the summer where i wore it out in the sun every day so it was on its brightest setting was still about 4 months. SO it is a maintenance sight with a few shortcoming but they are something that can be dealt with. If you like to fiddle with your guns and tend to handle them alot and clean them or wipe them off faily often you will find it a good sight. If you treat your gun like your old lawn mower not a good sight. CHECK 360 David

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thank you for your insight David, much appreciated. Do you feel these are a significant improvement over irons? Will you be putting one on you M&P when you get the chance?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I do think it is an improvement. It allows target focus instead of the eye focus shift that needs to occur for very precise bullet placement. It is just like any red dot scope on a rifle. It also allows sighting without being dead behind the sight picture. If you can see the dot and it is on, press and smile. I stress though to use it for real fighting you must have iron sight back ups. It can fail just like a rifle red dot so irons are, in my opinion not an option. That is why I mill mine in the slide so you can use the front sight with the J-Points rear sight. I will mill one into a M&P slide when I can figure if the footprint fits right and have the time. They are a real neat sight but as I have said before, do require some attention for maintenance. They are not for everyone or every situation. CHECK 360 David Bowie.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
If I ever get it done I'll post a pix or two. I have started Measuring things out. The Firing pin safety is kinda a pain but I get it eventually.

CHECK 360

David

·
Registered
495 Posts
David, were you running the Jpoint or Doctor? What advantages (if any) do you see for the extra money in the Doctor? Does the fogging problem go away with the glass lenses?

·
Registered
524 Posts
My issue with the Doctor is that it doesn't have the back up irons milled into the base from my understanding. Major oversight on their part if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I was running and still have two j-points. I won't use the Dr. it has no rear sight. The Dr. has been having some electroninc problems. As for foging, glass should be worse. Plastic will hold a more stable temperature i'm told.

CHECK 360 David

1 - 17 of 17 Posts