MP-Pistol Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I still recommend the Ares Gear, Aegis Enhanced belts.
The regular non "enhanced" version is cheaper by a few bucks but is a lesser belt.

The are not cheap but do have a lifetime warranty.
My Dad has one of their belts and likes it. I could be wrong, but I believe the Mean Gene Leather belt I mentioned above uses the same adjustable buckles as theirs.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My Dad has one of their belts and likes it. I could be wrong, but I believe the Mean Gene Leather belt I mentioned above uses the same adjustable buckles as theirs.
I clicked your link above and it says they get their buckles from Ares gear, so yes it is the same buckle.

If you've seen the Ares Gear and Mean Gene belts which is stiffer?

I know my pants look like a wind sock if I remove them and lay them on the bed.

I've never seen a belt that can carry the weight like the Ares Gear belts. I have tried several leather belts with inserts made of plastic or metal and they still were not as stiff as the Ares Gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a Versacarry Double-ply belt with holster deal for about $50, and am surprisingly pleased with the quality!

Worn it a week now and the belt is very sturdy and the free OWB holster holds a mag and my shield 9 PC nicely.

What other belts do you like?
Considering getting a steel core soon and I may need a dress belt soon too.

Shop All Products
I have the same one. Love it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I clicked your link above and it says they get their buckles from Ares gear, so yes it is the same buckle.

If you've seen the Ares Gear and Mean Gene belts which is stiffer?

I know my pants look like a wind sock if I remove them and lay them on the bed.

I've never seen a belt that can carry the weight like the Ares Gear belts. I have tried several leather belts with inserts made of plastic or metal and they still were not as stiff as the Ares Gear.
Unfortunately, my Dad lives 600 miles away. So while I’ve seen a pic of his Ares belt, I’ve not seen it in person, yet. Hopefully he’ll bring it when I see him this Thanksgiving. For now, though, I can’t really compare the two, but I’ve read great reviews about both.

I will say the three Mean Gene belts I own are really nice and hold up my fullsize 1911 and mag very well with no problem. You can get them reinforced, too, if you want (none of mine are, though). I’ve only had them for about a year, and they’re holding up fine so far. I guess time will tell how many years of use they give me. Mean Gene also has a Facebook and Instagram account with more pics, including pics of them being used as a competition belt. I don’t compete much, so I’m not up to par on what gear what works best for competitions. But I would guess a competition belt needs to be able to support some weight. I’ve not used mine in any matches, though.

Like I mentioned earlier, my only complaint is their thickness. They’re 1.5” wide but about 1/4” thick. They easily hold up the weight of my comparatively heavy 1911, but threading a belt holster through can be difficult. I had to take a file to make the belt slots on an OWB 1791 leather holster a bit wider to fit. I have a kydex OWB Black Rhino holster with 1.75” slots that fits well, though, and my IWB Clinger Holster with clip also fits well. But I struggle threading a Milt Sparks SSII, even with upgraded 1.75” snap loops.

Also forgot to mention, I don’t normally carry AIWB and have never done so with a Mean Gene belt. I almost always carry strong side. Nothing wrong with AIWB. I just prefer strong side carry. I only mention this because I don’t know how well AIWB would work with a 1/4” thick belt coupled with the thick Ares buckle. I suppose you could move the buckle to the opposite side, at around the 10 o’clock position, though, to mitigate any potential front bulging issues when trying to carry AIWB if it’s an issue. But I’ve never tried it. So I don’t know. I only mention this as a potential issue given the thickness of both the Mean Gene belt and the Ares buckle.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've worn an Uncle Mike's double layer duty belt for the last 10 years or so. When the velcro fell apart I just took a razor blade and removed it all. I like the belt better without the velcro. Just cinch it up and tuck it into the belt loop.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts