MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Got my MP9 last sunday put 200 through it today and all I can say is WOW!!!! Smith and Wesson got a winner with this one. I did have one issue failure to eject but that could of been ammo related. A guy I work with was at the range and he purchased one today he only fired 50 rounds and did have one issue of a failure to fire he was shooting megtech ammo. [/i]

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had problems with the magtech ammo with 2 fte but that was over 500 rounds. With Blazer Brass rounds I have not had any issues.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I know the one employee at my shop had FTE's with that magtech he said what some of you guys were sayin on here that the M&P is rather tight and magtech I guess is a little big... it's confusing to me cause I think 9mm is 9mm but I guess everybody has slight variances. His 40 kept jammin up w/ Magtech so he only uses federal, gold dots, and ranger-t's now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
MTech said:
I know the one employee at my shop had FTE's with that magtech he said what some of you guys were sayin on here that the M&P is rather tight and magtech I guess is a little big... it's confusing to me cause I think 9mm is 9mm but I guess everybody has slight variances. His 40 kept jammin up w/ Magtech so he only uses federal, gold dots, and ranger-t's now.

I only have one .40 so this is not very scientific....but I use a patchworm for general cleaning, and it has various sized patch 'nibs' for different calibers.

The .40 'nib' is too tight...can't pull it through the barrel. I use the 9mm nib, but with two patches instead..and that is snug enough to clean (patch squeaks through barrel). The nibs are correct for my other calibers, so the .40 must be on the tight end of the spec.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted something about the MP at the Swith wesson fourm and I think they don't like the MP, of the 3 posts I made a link to this site was posted and a comment about this is for the M&P.

Whats a WWB? Call me stupid but I've never heard of that before

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok got my M&P9 same time you did. Yesterday (7/16/07) was the first fire. Had a mix of Fiocchi and WWB both 115 gr FMJ loads. Shot again today with the same mix. Shot only one type of ammo through each mag. My findings are that the only difference is the WWB smokes alot more than the Fiocchi. I'm keeping a log of all the firings i do and what i'm using and which mag it's in. I clean after every days worth of shooting. All i can figure with anyone getting FTE off any ammo is you should possibly clean more often/better, you've got an amazing coincidence with a "bad" round, your in some way firing in a way that would cause an issue, or last but not least you really do have a defective item from S&W. I would think defect would be last for the pure reason that if it truly was a defective weapon it would happen on a more consistent basis and not on such a miniscule amount as i've seen reported. If you have a full mag of one type of ammo and your doing everything from first fire to last fire exactly the same (pretty freaking hard) you should continue to either fire each round normally or continue to have the same issue through the same mag with the same ammo. Anything else could be chocked up to way too many other factors to say S&W made a defective product, not that that's impossible. Just my observations/thoughts. Take it for what you will.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you are shooting an M&P9 I would strongly recommend that you not use WWB. Several have reported failures to extract with this ammo. The M&P is designed around the .40 S&W and not the 9mm platform; therefore, they have heavier slides. Heavier slides tend to require more power to properly operate. I had similar problems with my new M&P9 and I switched to American Eagle and Black Hills and haven't experienced a problem since.

I attribute many of these problems to the heavier slide and weak WWB ammo. Just my .02.

·
Registered
260 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
If you are shooting an M&P9 I would strongly recommend that you not use WWB. Several have reported failures to extract with this ammo. The M&P is designed around the .40 S&W and not the 9mm platform; therefore, they have heavier slides. Heavier slides tend to require more power to properly operate. I had similar problems with my new M&P9 and I switched to American Eagle and Black Hills and haven't experienced a problem since.

I attribute many of these problems to the heavier slide and weak WWB ammo. Just my .02.
Could be, but I have a hard time believing that S&W just slapped a .40 slide on the 9mm with out making some changes. It's easy to lighten the slide by simply milling away a little steel from the inside, which wouldn't be all that noticeable to the eye.

The .40 S&W weighs 24.25 oz. and the 9mm weighs 24.00 oz. I suspect that the 9mm barrel is heavier than the .40 barrel since it has thicker walls, so I assume the higher weight of the .40 is because it has a heavier slide.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been shooting mostly Independence 115gr and wolf 124gr and have also shot Ultramax, fiocchi and WWB through my M&P9. Zero problems with the ammo. Looks like I have one that is absolutely indifferent to ammo from a functioning standpoint. What the ammo does on target my or may not be a different issue, but I've been very pleased with the pistol's ability to fire anything I've fed it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Didn't say that the slide was a .40 slide modified to accept a 9mm barrel! I simply stated that the entire platform was designed around the .40; therefore, willing to accept a heavier platform more easily. For instance, the Glock .40's are adapted to their 9mm platform and not specifically designed for the .40. So, in summary, the M&P's from my experience, emphasis added, tends to lead to the fact that the M&P9 likes hotter ammo and may not be as "reliable" shooting under-powered ammunition.

No mention of milling of slide was stated. I have both the 9 and .40 variants of the M&P and you can't tell the difference, at least I can't.

·
Registered
260 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Didn't say that the slide was a .40 slide modified to accept a 9mm barrel! I simply stated that the entire platform was designed around the .40; therefore, willing to accept a heavier platform more easily. For instance, the Glock .40's are adapted to their 9mm platform and not specifically designed for the .40. So, in summary, the M&P's from my experience, emphasis added, tends to lead to the fact that the M&P9 likes hotter ammo and may not be as "reliable" shooting under-powered ammunition.

No mention of milling of slide was stated. I have both the 9 and .40 variants of the M&P and you can't tell the difference, at least I can't.
But you did say "The M&P is designed around the .40 S&W and not the 9mm platform; therefore, they have heavier slides."

What I was trying to say is that I doubt they have slides any heavier than they would have if the gun had been designed as a 9mm from the ground up. There would be no reason for that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
poncaguy said:
that was Whitebox.........sorry

Winchester White Box.........usually found at your local Wal-mart at very low pricing. I've run about 800 rounds through it with my 40...not one problem.....my brother has the 9mm, maybe half as many rounds...no problem......when your a newb, sometimes we don't get the nomenclature.....we have to learn it as we go.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive shot several hundred rounds of WWB 9mm through mine with no malfunctions at all to report. Im thinking it isnt a winchester problem, but maybe a cleaning problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like my M&P9 better then the 3 glocks I own. Just feels better and shoots better.

MP9

G17 G17 G22

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took the MP out again today another flawless preformance. Do jerks at the range make anyone else nervous?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts