MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
my first time taking it out i used pliers (with a rag to keep from marking the plastic)

I've heard some people say that they've had a problem with the tool coming loose and falling out. I assume thats from taking it out to much? I really just took it off once or twice to change the grip swells. Once I found the size that fits my hands, I've never taken it out again. I just use a pen/pencil/finger to push down the little hook thingy inside when disassembling.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Be sure to turn it 90 degrees then turn it upside down and put one thumb in mag well turned up towards tool. Other thumb turned up towards tool against back strap and push up with thumbs at same time.It helped me untill it loosened up some

·
Registered
13 Posts
M&P Takedown Tool

Once you've removed the magazine and insured the chamber's empty, you can use the edge of table or countertop to get the tool started turning. Just hang the gun over the edge, use the rest of the whole gun as leverage for turning, while pressing the head of the takedown tool down firmly against a hard surface.

It gets much easier after the first few times.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Be thankfull it fits tight. If it didn't you would find it on the ground a lot. I still find it hard to believe S&W says to use it as a break down tool. A tooth pick, straw or little finger can accomplish that feat with much less difficulty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
FYI you only need to remove the ‘takedown tool’ if you want to change back straps. If you just want to disassemble the gun you don’t need the ‘tool.... It’s not even a took don’t know what they call it that. You can use any other object even your finger to lower the lever.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
FYI you only need to remove the ‘takedown tool’ if you want to change back straps. If you just want to disassemble the gun you don’t need the ‘tool.... It’s not even a took don’t know what they call it that. You can use any other object even your finger to lower the lever.

This is true...I use a pencil or a pen to push the lever down.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
Once I got my backstrap set that was it, I haven't removed mine since.

·
Registered
103 Posts
G56 said:
Once I got my backstrap set that was it, I haven't removed mine since.

Same here. The nub on the tool is polymer, as is the shelf on the frame that it catches. While wear shouldn't be a problem, why take the chance? It's not worth it to me. I can reach in through the ejection port and catch the release lever with my finger. Or I can dry fire it (too many reps with the other polymer gun, but it does work on the M&P).

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts