MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a new mp40 fullsize and this is my first handgun. I've only put 300 rounds through it but have had alot of fun despite the fact that I'm not much of a marksman...yet. I've only had problems w/ the gun failing to rechamber a cartridge when using storebought reloads, but factory ammo has no problems. The guys at the range I've been to are very helpful and offer great advice to help me improve accuracy but I guess "practice makes perfect". I bought this gun as a conceal and carry self defense weapon and am very satisfied w/ it but find it to be a bit of a challenge to keep it from printing on my shirt. I carry it at 4-5 O'clock in a OWB holster and although it feels very comfortable I am only 160lbs and it's hard to keep it from bulging out of some of the shirts I wear. I've read many posts about different ways to carry a fullsized handgun but am considering a smaller gun for concealed carry. As winter is approaching I'm sure printing won't be as much of a problem but what is everyones thoughts about a fullsize handgun for concealed carry (comfort, easy of draw, printing, etc?). What about a smaller gun for concealed carry, how small is too small (size and calibre)?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Most people that carry a compact are not going smaller than a G19 or M&Pc, and they use a grip sleeve with a fullsize mag. If that is the case then I would personally rather have the extra inch on the barrel! JMHO :wink:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The fullsize gun makes it more difficult. OWB certainly doesn't help. It may be that you're too small to conceal it well enough to forget about it. I'm 205 pounds and I don't like carrying the fullsize. The grip on that thing is long.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Get a better concealment holster and then decide whether or not you can conceal it to your liking.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I agree. I'm not familiar with that belt. But if it's strong and rigid, then purchase a good IWB to try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For Concealment the holster and position are critical.

For Accuracy a sub compact will be worse.

My advise on the accuracy is to find where your pistol is shooting.

IE across the top of the sights at 10 yds 6 'o'clock position on target or

Maybe try lining the dots up.

Practice at 10 yds till you find where your pistol shoots.

I could just Point My Springfield XD without even using the sights at 10 yards and hit 6 of 6 rounds in a 5 inch circle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts