MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting owb kydex holster for my full size 40. I will be using it for ccw and idpa in future. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Another vote for the bladetech. You can get the stingray (SRB), the same one that they sell in the combo pack, for only about $25. Combine that with a couple of the Revolution double mag pouches with teck-lock for about $21 each and you have a really good set up for USPSA/IDPA. I'm very, very happy with mine. I tried both the SRB and tek-lock with the mag pouch and definately prefer the teck-lock.

Have fun and shoot safe!

·
Registered
17 Posts
natelear said:
Another vote for the bladetech. You can get the stingray (SRB), the same one that they sell in the combo pack, for only about $25. Combine that with a couple of the Revolution double mag pouches with teck-lock for about $21 each and you have a really good set up for USPSA/IDPA. I'm very, very happy with mine. I tried both the SRB and tek-lock with the mag pouch and definately prefer the teck-lock.

Have fun and shoot safe!

Where can I order a bladetech SRB for $25?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Blade Tech stingray for my Steyr

and the Comp-Tac paddle also

Either will be a fine choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did mean the Revolution holster, sorry about that. Got my holsters mixed up. The Revolution is the same configuration as the SRB, just injection molded instead of formed kydex, and half the price. I've only used it for a couple of months strickly for USPSA competition so I can't vouch for long term durability of the new injection molded stuff, but as far as fit and function, just as good, IMHO. The actual Kydex stuff, aka the SRB, is definately top notch and very durable and should handle the abuse of everyday carry just fine.

I've also used kydex holsters by Fist and Comp-Tac for daily carry that are great, but they're IWB.

I used a Fobus holster a long time ago, but after seeing a couple of them snap off and fall to the ground with the weapon in them, I quit using them. Once when bumped into the edge of an open car door and once when the wearer squatted down. The paddle or belt attachment would actually break off of the holster pouch. The newer ones may not have this problem.

I think the old saying of getting what you pay for is very accurate here. Spend the money on good kydex from a reputable company if your going to use if for daily carry.

Shoot safe and have fun!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have both a Blade-Tech Stingray and a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. I love the feel of the Blackhawk and it comes with a paddle attachment, making it a better value in my book. Plus the retention feature and positive click upon holstering make it "feel" better. Both are made very well and should give you years of service. I also think the Blackhawk is a little smaller, but I do not have the holsters for the same gun.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For IDPA, I find OWB Kydex rigs are GREAT but I don't feel comfortable with them as an everyday/all day CCW rig. I find they aren't secure [enough] and sit too far off the belt for adequate retention and concealment.

Leather is ALWAYS a good option (and durable) for OWB carry and will treat you just fine in the competitive arena. Should you pursue the OWB Kydex design, one with some sort of retention like the Serpa as previously mentioned would be prudent.

-B

·
Registered
936 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Kytac Sooper Hooper

A big +1 on that, good buddy.

Why? Cause its the best. Other companies might be nicer and have better customer service, but their customer service rep aint gonna help you pull your pistol out of your holster.

·
Registered
53 Posts
choochboost said:
[quote name='Boris']I find they... sit too far off the belt for adequate retention and concealment.
Not the case with my Comp-Tac paddles that's for sure.[/quote]

The one Comp-Tac paddle I had for my G19 sat too far off the hip for decent concealment. That's just my experience, though. I'd love to find one that didn't sit too far off the hip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another vote for the Comp-Tac FBI Paddle. I use one for my 1911 and my M&P compact 40. Certainly not as tight as the IWB (Infidel or C-TAC) but plenty tight under a jacket or suit coat. Excellent retention, and doesn't move around on my hip, and goes off and on smooth as silk.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Bulldawg said:
[quote name='choochboost'][quote name='Boris']I find they... sit too far off the belt for adequate retention and concealment.
Not the case with my Comp-Tac paddles that's for sure.[/quote]

The one Comp-Tac paddle I had for my G19 sat too far off the hip for decent concealment. That's just my experience, though. I'd love to find one that didn't sit too far off the hip.[/quote]

I use FBI Paddles and Speed Paddles and they sit close. I prefer the FBI paddle for the forward cant. Before purchasing, I spent some time on the phone with JB determining what OWB was best for me. My understanding is that some of their paddles such as the Settable Cant do not sit as close. Anyone who has a Speed or FBI Paddle that doesn't sit close should send it back.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
157 Posts
M&P in the Blade Tech revolution.

Not bad for the price.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going to try the comp-tac belt holster. I am picking the comp-tac because I have a CTAC and am very pleased with it. I was torn between the comp-tac FBI paddle, belt and the kytec sooper hooper. I wish i could afford to buy all three. With comp-tac if I dont like the belt holster I can send it back and try the FBI paddle. Thanks to all for the input :wink:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts