MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a Surefire L4 LumaMax?

I currently use an E2E; but I'm thinking about trying out a good LED.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I've been carrying a L4 every day for about the past 2-3 years. Prior to that I was using an Aviator but traded it to a friend who had a more legitimate need for the red LED than I did.

It's a good light. Like most of their digital lights, the switching can be a little iffy from time to time (this may be solved by now). There have been occasions when I've pulled the light out of my pocket and got no illumination, requiring me to loosen and re-tighten the end cap.

Battery life is good. Light is bright, white, and the bulb life is essentially limitless. Unlike than incandescent bulbs, you'll never have to worry about burning it out or breaking it (incandescent bulbs get "brittle" when they get hot, so dropping the light when it's been burning for a bit can knock the bulb out of commission).

On the downside, you don't get nearly as much "throw" with an LED. So outdoors, for the same lumen output, you'll be able to see significantly farther with your E2e than with the L4. I used to carry an E2e and probably have two or three of them lying around. It's a great light if you don't mind the bulb life and bulb fragility. If you spend more time outdoors than in, the E2e might be the better choice.

The L4 is usually not the only light I'll have at hand. When wearing a concealment garment with pockets (vest, jacket, etc) I keep either my Blackhawk Gladius or my Insight H2X (same light, different branding) in one pocket. I also keep a Surefire U2 in the car ... it's a great car light because it's so flexible ... turn it down for map reading, turn it up for maximum power.

·
Registered
471 Posts
YukonGlocker, I have the L4 and it is a great light!! It is one light that I will not be parting with. What is your use for this light going to be? This may decide whether this light is right for you or not.

As ToddG said, you do not get nearly as much throw, but IMHO, it is not because it is an LED. It is the way the light was designed. Walk into a room at night, turn on the L4, and it will light up the whole room. It throws out a wall of light!! I love it!! Surefire also make LED lights that have very good throw, but you will have to move the light around a lot more in a room to see in the different corners. I should try to take a picture for you. I was also lucky enough to get a two stage switch for my L4 so that I have two different intensities.

One thing about LED's to keep in mind is that in fog and damp rainy weather, they do not work as well as the incandescent lights.

Here are a couple pics of my light. The two stage switch was not installed in these pictures.

Ron

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darklyte24, those are probably nice lights. They have some great reviews.

But I buy Made In USA products if I can.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as probable uses:

-Searching for things around the house (inside and outside)

-Hunting

-Fishing

-Self defense

-Looking in my son's throat and ears

-Just about anything I might need a light for :wink:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Another light you may look at is the Novatac lights, http://www.novatac.com . These lights are made in the USA also. I have the same light when it was called the HDS light. The man behind the HDS lights also designed the older ARC lights. I really like my HDS light. I got the programmable one. You can set it for 4 different intensities and it will also flash an SOS signal as well as a locating beacon. My light is rated at 60 lumen max, but the new ones are as high as 120 lumens. You can buy this light from K&D Holsters who are one of the sponsors here on these forums. If you have not had a chance to deal with Kevin (K&D Holsters) yet, you will not be disappointed!! He is awesome. Here is a link to the page on his site with the lights, http://www.kdholsters.com/accessories.php . The lights are all the way at the bottom.

Here is a review of the HDS light for you to read, http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm .

This light is small enough to stick in your pocket, and id bright!

Here are a couple pictures of mine.

Ron

Another light that is bright and built like a tank is the PentagonLight. I think it is a made in the USA light but I could not find it on their site, so I am not willing to bet my next paycheck on it. I have this light only in black. It has been a very good light also. Nice and bright with good throw.

http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.144 . These lights seem to be built very well and not as expensive as the Surefire. Sorry, no pictures of this one.

Here is a picture that will give you some idea of the size of the lights.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I do not have the U2 anymore. It was an awesome light though!! It is a fair sized light and is very adjustable. It had good throw. Some people have had problems with this light. It is a a highly technical light, but a great light.

Ron

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
How do you like the U2?

I like mine quite a bit, but I don't use it as a "tactical" light (I have the Gladius and the Typhoon for that) so it hasn't seen a lot of hard use or daily carry. It's got a wide range of capabilities and mine, at least, seems to be Surefire-typical tough. It's too big for pocket carry imo, and the pocket clip is not ideally designed or located.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts