MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alicia Acuna on Fox News just said the lady who shot the intruder in the Church was a CCW holder!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
+1 :roll: Still nice to see something possitive said about CC in the news though! Lets see what develops from this though??

mad212 said:
sweet +1 for us. Until some news idiot spins it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ya know, i thought it odd that a church would have armed security as a policy in the first place.

then I read earlier today that the "volunteer guard" was in "plain clothes" which to me sounds more like CCW hero then "guard doing her job" as the media has spun this from the very beginning.

My assumption is that she was working parking lot duty (directing traffic or helping people get to their cars) and heard shots. As a law abiding citizen with a CCW permit, she hear the shots and ended what could have been a very bloody massacre.

If that is the case and this was a private citizen acting in the interest of public safety, lawfully using a firearm for its intended purpose, it needs to be reported as such.

Its kind of like the off duty cop who helped stop the trolley mall shooting earlier this year - the media can justify him having a gun in the mall because he's a cop (who lives in another town and was off duty) and they can justify this woman having a gun at church because she was a "guard"

Recently, here in Connecticut a man was charged with breach of peace because a waitress at a restaurant saw the print of his gun through is shirt while he was waiting for his take out. The charges were later dropped. The media's reaction thoguh? Why the heck would he bring a gun to Chilis anyway?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
micah said:
ya know, i thought it odd that a church would have armed security as a policy in the first place.

then I read earlier today that the "volunteer guard" was in "plain clothes" which to me sounds more like CCW hero then "guard doing her job" as the media has spun this from the very beginning.

My assumption is that she was working parking lot duty (directing traffic or helping people get to their cars) and heard shots. As a law abiding citizen with a CCW permit, she hear the shots and ended what could have been a very bloody massacre.

If that is the case and this was a private citizen acting in the interest of public safety, lawfully using a firearm for its intended purpose, it needs to be reported as such.

Its kind of like the off duty cop who helped stop the trolley mall shooting earlier this year - the media can justify him having a gun in the mall because he's a cop (who lives in another town and was off duty) and they can justify this woman having a gun at church because she was a "guard"

Recently, here in Connecticut a man was charged with breach of peace because a waitress at a restaurant saw the print of his gun through is shirt while he was waiting for his take out. The charges were later dropped. The media's reaction thoguh? Why the heck would he bring a gun to Chilis anyway?
She was a CCW holder and she was a member of that church's organized volunteer security team. It is not uncommon for so-called "mega-churches" to have these security teams. Not all officially encourage concealed carry preferring only off-duty cops to carry.

Was she a "security guard"? Yes. Was she a volunteer? Yes. Was she a CCW holder and member of the church? Yes. The media chooses which of those facts to key in on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
choochboost said:
She was a CCW holder and she was a member of that church's organized volunteer security team. It is not uncommon for so-called "mega-churches" to have these security teams. Not all officially encourage concealed carry preferring only off-duty cops to carry.

Was she a "security guard"? Yes. Was she a volunteer? Yes. Was she a CCW holder and member of the church? Yes. The media chooses which of those facts to key in on.

yeah, after posting I read the press release from this morning of the paster describing how they had beefed up security that morning. So I with draw my previous statement - but still don't like the fact that the media has to find an excuse for CCW's saving the days

:)

·
Registered
366 Posts
From the Denver Post:

""Larry Bourbonnais, a combat-tested Vietnam veteran, said it was the bravest thing he's ever seen.

Bourbonnais, who was among those shot by a gunman Sunday at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, watched as a security guard, a woman who has not yet been named, calmly returned fire and killed the shooter.

"She just started walking toward the gunman firing the whole way," said Bourbonnais, who was shot in the arm. "She was just yelling 'Surrender,' walking and shooting the whole time.""

http://www.denverpost.com/outdoors/ci_7683781

·
Registered
215 Posts
I love that woman. I wish they would put out some big publicity about her being a CCL holder, and what a good idea that is for law abiding people. :twisted:

·
Registered
48 Posts
The media spins stories in their own interest. I read a story yesterday about a man defending himself on his own property, in his house against burglers and he shot and killed one of the criminals and the newspaper called the criminal a victim. Kudos to the woman CCL holder in Colorado for saving more lives. The media has their own agenda.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Read the whole story at the link. Two other "guards" had guns drawn and would not fire. Kudos to the one that did. I hope God comforts her conscience. I've read many of those that have to shoot, even when it's as clean as falling snow, have a difficult time coping with the decision in their own minds.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
I've read many of those that have to shoot, even when it's as clean as falling snow, have a difficult time coping with the decision in their own minds.
Shame on them. In a situation as obvious as this there should be no doubt.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Hopefully the states with silly laws that prohibit it will re-think the issue.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I just read that the volunteer guard is a former police officer. I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
Read the whole story at the link. Two other "guards" had guns drawn and would not fire. Kudos to the one that did. I hope God comforts her conscience. I've read many of those that have to shoot, even when it's as clean as falling snow, have a difficult time coping with the decision in their own minds.

Maybe they didn't have a clear shot... line of sight...???

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most of the media is spinning this as if she was a "rent a cop", which she clearly wasn't, most of the media will want to ignore the CCW part of it, but I think this will be brought out, it's too important to be swept under the rug!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Most of the reports that I have seen are positive; in that the witnesses are very grateful someone in there had a weapon that halted more killing.

This is an excellent example to use against the antis.

(Is it too early to ask for a full ballistics report?)

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
G56 said:
Most of the media is spinning this as if she was a "rent a cop", which she clearly wasn't, most of the media will want to ignore the CCW part of it, but I think this will be brought out, it's too important to be swept under the rug!
Well at least the AP Religion Writer got it right:

By ERIC GORSKI, AP Religion Writer

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - When a black-clad gunman walked into New Life Church on Sunday and started shooting, he was met with the church's first line of defense: a congregant with a concealed-weapons permit and a law enforcement background.

The armed volunteer, Jeanne Assam, shot the gunman, who police said may have committed suicide. New Life's pastor credited her with saving dozens more lives.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts