MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased M&P 9mm Pro 5". Changed out the original sights with Truglo TFO's. While I originally shot worse than my 9mm Shield, my recent groups have been consistently better and I like the feel more each time I shoot. I use this as my nightstand defense gun so I am debating between a tactical flashlight, a Streamlight TLR4 or and/or a Laserlyte V4 laser. I have read some comments about the pros and cons of having a light on the gun but I also worry about operating the different switches on the Stramlight and holding both a flashlight and operating the buttons on the laserlyte under stress. I had originally considered the CT laser grips but that's now a pretty pricey aftermarket item. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the accessories that seem to work best (not just look cool), which are reliable, etc. In advance, thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I choose a gun mounted light/laser combo. I want one hand free for contingency use. Note that you may already be injured when you get to your weapon so requiring both hands to operate in a tactical situation may not be the best plan. Having said that there are smart folks that prefer separate flashlight and weapon...either choice has pros and cons.

Current Streamlight models have a one switch with tabs mounted on both sides - very easy to operate and easy to practice with at range. What ever you choose to use, practice over and over, until you can operate without thinking, with one hand, and in pitch dark.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Having said that there are smart folks that prefer separate flashlight and weapon.
Even smarter ones carry a handheld and mounted light, they also train and know how to use them. :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Switches and toggle style on/off are personal preference in my opinion. Just find a gun mounted light in your price range that works for you. If you have kids you need both hands free. Personally I'm not a fan of lasers although many mall ninjas disagree. Sure fire has cheap handhelds to use as a backup if needed that will get the job done. Just my opinion and we know about those!

My house "plan" includes both a weapon mounted lights and a hand helds (for myself, wife, or 16yr old as needed) as well as a back up in case either fails. We train with both so Jason and I agree on that much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts