MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using my new 2.0 Compact for Carry and Home. Thus, I'm looking for a better low/no light support modification for it.

Seen TruGlo has a nice Mini-Tac red dot and waffling between it and either their TFX Pro (red circle) or perhaps a Trijicon. Concern is use and accuracy of night sights in range and carry. Looked at a set at Cabela's today and TFX Pro were not as bright as I was expecting. This is what may push me more towards laser for night home defense leaving factory sights for normal and use.

So looking for your experiences with any of these, particularly on a MP FS, Compact, or SubCompact, 2.0 even better.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I expected there would be at least one, here Always is. Just surprised how quickly one would pipe in completely off topic and toss some smart ass comment. Thanks for adding absolutely Nothing to discussion, nor even close to the topic!

BTW, how the frack do you know whether I have a light or not and in your infinite wisdom did you overlook fact that some, TruGlo included, vendors have laser and f;lashlight integrated together. Please go troll elsewhere or head back to your den.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I use a stream light tlr-2 hl g (green laser) and Trijicon RMR on my defensive guns. I have plain black backup sights on the defensive guns.
I found this communication works best for me.

Each person is going to need to find what works best for them.
If possible take a low light class and if you're lucky there will be multiple brands/models of products people are using, most people will let you try them and you can get first hand knowledge of what works for you.

I have plain Trijicon night sight, Trijicon HD and meprolight in different guns. If I was forced to use night sights I would go with Meprolight.

My eyes pick up the RMR better than sights so that is my reason for going that way, the laser is a backup.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was all about night sights as a must on my home and carry gun. However, I have found that with running a light on the handgun, that I prefer black out rear with fiber optic front.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As said above, if you have a light, your sights don't have to be Tritium.
I happened to get the TFO's first, they were quite reasonable at $68. Not hardly any more than a fiber optic set, and they are Tritium to boot.

GrandOak, those TFO's would have been better if you could have taken them outside, or tried them in the dark.
The Fiber optic isn't going to "pop" inside under artificial lights, but are much brighter out in the daylight.
And they aren't real bright in that brief time from when the sun goes down until it gets dark.
Once dark they glow real bright.

There will always be someone that doesn't like night sights, or doesn't like lights or lasers on a gun, or doesn't like any of them at all.
I like to hedge my bets, and have as much of an advantage as possible.
I own several dual output (600 Lumen-30 Lumen) Surefire hand held lights, and usually have one handy at home, in the vehicle or while camping. In case I don't, I have lights/green lasers for my M&Ps too.

The various Streamlights for the Compact or Fullsize are always good, many models to choose from, some with light only, or with a light and red or green laser.
I have had a TRL-1 and TRL-2, reasonable price for a light only unit, around $100.
A TRL with a green laser and 600 Lumen light, like a TRL-8G, runs around $265.

I got an Olight Pro for half that, it has a 1350 Lumen light and green laser, but it is a bit big.
O.K. for my 5 inch MP9, but would stick out on a compact.
A smaller Olight Mini would be better for a compact, not sure if the Mini can be had with a laser.
The Olights come with a Q.D. lever which is nice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a Core 4.25" because my eyes have gotten to bad to see my sights. I put an rmr on it and an Olight PL Pro on it. I also have a Shield with the laser but found myself instinctively looking for the sights before picking up the laser. The RMR is more intuitive because of the location of the dot. Everyone is different and also on different budgets. Night Sights would have been fine in my younger days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have night fision night sights on mine with orange front. I like them really well. The front is super easy to pick up.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't have a 2.0 but an original compact with Crimaon Trace laser grips. It's a 40 S&W and I haven't shot it in awhile. Our club used to have an IDPA style night shoot a couple of times a year and I thought the laser would be great. Not so much. Initial aiming is great. The follow up shot was bad. With recoil the laser went everywhere. We had to hand hold our flashlight unless we had a holster made for a gun mounted light. I didn't. I have shot a buddies gun with a reflex but it's been several years. That wasn't as easy as I expected either. If you have astigmatism, and I do, the dot will not be nice and round dot.

I just pulled 3 guns out of the safe and gave them a try with a flashlight. M&P compact with laser grip and stock sights. Laser bright and could see sights silhouetted. SIG P226 with night sights. Can see the sights silhouetted by light. Can't see the dots with the light on. M&P Pro with stock competition sights. Front is fiber optic. Rear black with no dots. Fiber optic was not visable unless I held a flashlight to the side and above. Reflex should work similar to laser. But really I had a great sight picture with stock sights and a weapon mounted light. My light is a cheap one but it is bright.

·
Registered
310 Posts
With recoil the laser went everywhere ? By the time there is recoil, the bullet is already out the barrel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
With recoil the laser went everywhere ? By the time there is recoil, the bullet is already out the barrel.
Recoil with your sights moves a little and you get back on target. The laser is showing on the target 10 or more yards away. A small movement in your gun will be magnified at distance. I was also holding a flashlight in my hand, so not a great grip that caused part of the problem. I'm not hating on the laser because it can give you a great spot on target. It's just something to be aware of for subsequent shots.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I struggled immensely with what sights to get. There are so many. Too many hours of research. I went with Trijicon HD XR night sights. They are about $170.00, but worth it in my opinion. With the extra wide notch on the rear sight, it makes the front thin post very fast to acquire. I was concerned about point of aim and impact changing when I switched sights - so I went with tried and true Trijicon. I LOVE THE SIGHTS ! And they will be on all my pistols - they are worth the extra money. I was worried I would have trouble finding the thinner front sight post. Nothing could be easier or quicker to find it turns out. I highly recommend the Triji XR's. It actually makes a noticiable difference shooting with those sights on the pistol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A smaller Olight Mini would be better for a compact, not sure if the Mini can be had with a laser.
I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but since the OP never said what he did, I thought I'd pipe up.

I have a M&P 9 Compact M2.0 4". I put TruGlo TFX PRO sights on it, and at night, they are plenty bright. I also like them during daytime outings.

In addition to the TFX Pro, I also put an Olight Baldr Mini on it, which is a rail mounted, 600 lumen light with an integrated green laser. It's a slick unit, and I couldn't be happier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts