MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the slide to rail tolerances and I noticed the front M&P slide sure has a lot of movement. It's tighter than a Glock on the rear, but the front is sloppy. I mean a lot, much more than a Glock. Don't get me wrong, I love this pistol but I would think the tolerances could be much better laterally. Any thoughts? I'm not a gunsmith.

·
Registered
64 Posts
RCKnight said:
I was checking out the slide to rail tolerances and I noticed the front M&P slide sure has a lot of movement. It's tighter than a Glock on the rear, but the front is sloppy. I mean a lot, much more than a Glock. Don't get me wrong, I love this pistol but I would think the tolerances could be much better laterally. Any thoughts? I'm not a gunsmith.

Does your pistol shoot accurately and reliably?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I noticed this with my M&P40 as well, and played with it for a bit. When the slide is forward, try moving the front of the barrel from side to side. I think that's what is more important. I agree that the tolerances could be tighter, but we may be splitting hairs on the movement of the slide.

S&W might have left the tolerance of the slide loose, to allow the slide to shed debris more easily. If the slide were perfectly fitted to the frame, a couple grains of sand could cause a problem with the gun's reliability. That's just my thought.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think we are discussing assembly tolerances vs manufacturing tolerances. My new MP9 is also "loose". Identical to my XD-45, and previous USP's. The barrel lock up at the chamber and at the muzzle is SOLID though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts