MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this monday I am the proud owner of a new fullsize M&P 40. I got a deal no one could refuse at Cableas.

$529 on sale for $479 + tax minus $100 off cabelas club days minus $274 dollars in cabelas club points minus $50 S&W rebate = $81!!!! I feel like I stole it!

Being as this is my first "new" gun and first "plastic pistol", I've got a list of questions....

1. Love the gun, hate the trigger....just doesn't feel right if you have small hands. Travel is too long and the pull feels like it's 7 plus lbs. How may shots (live/snap cap) before I see some improvement in the trigger?

2. How the heck do you get the tool out of the grip? I know it's supposed to be a 1/4 turn either direction, but mine won't budge. Using the mag trick didn't work either...any suggestions?

3. Besides a trigger job and feed ramp polish, what other non-cosmetic improvements should I consider?

4. Ammo - Anyone shooting doubletap? I'm thinking about the 200gr WFNGC for when I'm in the backcoutry. Can anyone recomend a "lower" recoil practice ammo than the cabelas bulk 180 FMJ that the wife could shoot?

5. Stupid new question...what is a "slide melt"?

Thanks in advance. The forum is awesome and is the main reason I got the M&P.

·
Registered
129 Posts
1. The trigger should start to smooth out after several hundred cycles, live or dry fire. Also make sure that you clean and lube it according to the manual prior to use.

2. Try using the edge of a counter or table and turn the pistol, while to tool part remains stationary. You can also use a pair of padded plier. The only reason I take the tool out of mine is to change the backstrap, I find it easier to push the sear de-activation lever with my finger.

3. The only thing I would change is sights, to suit your tastes, shooting style, and use for the pistol.

4. Can't really help you here, I only shoot 9mm and 45.

5. A "slide melt" is rounding or smoothing the sharp edges or corners of the slide. Also called "dehorning" or a "carry bevel"

Congrats on the new gun, and you got a great deal!!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Congrats. I have small stubby fingered size medium hands and changing the back strap will help. I manage the 45 and it's bigger. The trigger smooths out in a couple of hundred rounds or you can get a trigger job done. We have two members that are gunsmiths and are wizards at M&P trigger work. The tool will loosen up a bit in time, but be really careful of that feed ramp polish. They usually don't need it and you want to go easy.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
fireroad said:
$81!!!! I feel like I stole it!

Wow!

1. Love the gun, hate the trigger....just doesn't feel right if you have small hands. Travel is too long and the pull feels like it's 7 plus lbs. How may shots (live/snap cap) before I see some improvement in the trigger?

Have you tried the small backstrap? While the weight and smoothness will improve over the course of a couple thousand trigger pulls, the length of pull isn't going to change. What type of gun are you used to shooting that the M&P trigger travel feels long?

2. How the heck do you get the tool out of the grip? I know it's supposed to be a 1/4 turn either direction, but mine won't budge. Using the mag trick didn't work either...any suggestions?

It's tough the first time and less than easy the next few times after that. I used one of those sissy pads for twisting bottle lids off and just applied elbow grease until it moved.

3. Besides a trigger job and feed ramp polish, what other non-cosmetic improvements should I consider?

How many stoppages and malfunctions have you experienced making you think a feed ramp polish is necessary? My M&P9 is just shy of 20,000 rounds and I haven't had the ramp polished.

Shoot the gun for 1,000 rounds or so and then decide whether you want an action job. But other than that (and possibly changing the sights), I don't see much more you need to do to an M&P.

4. Ammo - Anyone shooting doubletap? I'm thinking about the 200gr WFNGC for when I'm in the backcoutry. Can anyone recomend a "lower" recoil practice ammo than the cabelas bulk 180 FMJ that the wife could shoot?

Winchester White Box 165gr is fairly low recoil.

I've also found 165gr American Eagle to be very soft shooting, but presently the Federal web site is showing 1,130fps velocity (compared to the previous 980fps that is still reported at the Federal LE site). I don't know whether they changed the load or the commercial site is a misprint.

5. Stupid new question...what is a "slide melt"?

Cosmetic change in which a gunsmith breaks and rounds all the edges of the slide. It's fairly labor-intensive and if done well makes a very striking difference in appearance of the slide. Some smiths advertise it as making the gun more "snag-resistant" but the fact is that the M&P is already pretty snag-proof as-is.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. I mentioned polishing the ramp as that's what other firearms I've owned needed or benefited from (then again, I've never owned a S&W :wink: ). If it doesn't need it then I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to touch the gun mod-wise until I have at least 1000 rounds though it. As far as travel goes I guess it's long in comparison to my browning buckmark, I'll try the small grip and wait and see how she loosens up first. Bought some of the WWB 165 gr today, we'll give it a try tomorrow.

Sights seems to a common mod...anyone try the trijicons?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
fireroad said:
Sights seems to a common mod...anyone try the trijicons?
I have Trijicons on all of my home/self defense pistols. I won't see them on my M&Ps until I get them back from getting a trigger job, but I'm sure they will be fine. OpticsPlanet has the SA37 in green for $109 shipped.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As much as I like the low-weight triggers on my Ruger MKIII's and the trigger on my Buck Mark, I don't think I'd do much with the M&P trigger. Seems the more I shoot it either the better it feels or the less I notice the trigger. I did add a Crimson Trace grip to the pistol. It works darned well and can make up for the fact that my eyes aren't quite as good as they were back when the Beach Boys were a new group. I still find that I use the sights that came with the pistol a majority of the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
just use the tool to change backstrap, pen or small screwdrive to drop tinternal lever. if your m&p wil fire with no mag, drop mag clear chamber, i check 3 times, lock slide back rotate take down lever, release slide pull trigger(aka glock)firearm is apart,the internal lever is a liablity thing tomany people stripping glocks were having nd because the for got tho clear the chamber.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sholling said:
[quote name='fireroad']Sights seems to a common mod...anyone try the trijicons?
I have Trijicons on all of my home/self defense pistols. I won't see them on my M&Ps until I get them back from getting a trigger job, but I'm sure they will be fine. OpticsPlanet has the SA37 in green for $109 shipped.[/quote]

The trijicons are sharp and you can't argue with the price...are you installing them yourself?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts