MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new M&P 40 on layaway. My question is for any law enforcement officers who are issued M&P 40's. How are they holding up with reguards to reliable feeding of different rounds both FMJ JHP ammo. And as far as jamming and functioning properly. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I think you may have more LEOs reply in the "Law Enforcement section" in General Firearm topic area.

·
Registered
207 Posts
LEO's are not the only ones shooting FMJ and JHP ammo around here.

Heck, my old man tells me that I probably shoot more than him

<~ not LEO and no functionality problems as of yet, ~3,000 rnds of a WIDE variety of carry and target ammo

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leo opinions

The only reason I asked for an LEO opinion was because I figured that they shoot them more than the avg. person, but you have definately put enough rounds through yours to answer my question. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
LMAO

TexanAviator said:
LEO's are not the only ones shooting FMJ and JHP ammo around here.

<~ not LEO and no functionality problems as of yet, ~3,000 rnds of a WIDE variety of carry and target ammo

·
Registered
207 Posts
bluethunder said:
The only reason I asked for an LEO opinion was because I figured that they shoot them more than the avg. person, but you have definately put enough rounds through yours to answer my question. Thanks for the info.

No problem
Hopefully yours will eat anything you throw at it. I made it a point to get together many different brands of ammo for trips to the range to change it up. Everything from White Box to whatever Wal-Mart had... HST, GoldDot, some OLD military surplus 9mm luger (brown ragged box), doubletap ammo (my favorite)

I know plenty of guys here have WAY more rounds through theirs than mine, so maybe they will chime in. Let us know how it goes for you!

finalfusion said:
LMAO

[quote name='TexanAviator']LEO's are not the only ones shooting FMJ and JHP ammo around here.

[/quote]

he may not get as much range time as I do, but he can sure as heck make me feel like a complete newbie, haha

·
Registered
49 Posts
As a LEO with a M&P 40 cal, duty weapon. Its a great gun to shoot. Yes we practice all the time. I take mine every weekend along with my M&P 45 cal I just bought. I have had no problems at all and as far as the Dept. I have heard of no problems with anyones yet. We have around 95 M&P's that were delivered. Hope that info helps you out.

rogero / mi. LCSD

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: leo opinions

bluethunder said:
That depends upon your definition of "average person." Most LEOs don't shoot that often. Most only shoot when forced to qual with their weapons. My agency requires this 4 times a year and from talking to our local guys on the task force this is more than most.

Now, I will say, most of us who are "gun guys" are praying each night the M&Ps get added to our list of approved weapons. I'd trade in my G22 and G27 for M&P full and compact today if allowed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ever wonder where all the "refurb" Glocks come from?

All the police officers who rarely ever shoot them.

Around here, it's once a year qualifications. Other than that, guns have been known to rust in the holster.

You don't want to ask LEO about long term firearm ability. You might ask them about long term storage (^_^)

Seriously, people who run a lot of training like Front Sight, or Gunsite, or LFI would be good authorities as they see it all. Also, anyone that has run evaluations on various duty pistols would also be a good authority.

Suffice it to say that from all reports any time the M&P is in the running, it wins a contract nearly 3:1 over all other contenders combined.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Required Once A Year to qualify at the Range with my PD. Any other shooting time is totally up to the officer. Most I know don't shoot very often.

One rule our city has makes it where you have to have a Certified Firearms Instructor present before you can shoot on our range. Sounds easy enough - but - if you catch a shift where one is on duty and get him to the range - if a call comes in requiring him to leave you have to stop and quit or wait till he gets back - usually a call requiring him to leave keeps him away for a long time.

City next to us only requires you to "sign in" for the key - you can shoot alone - no requirement for an instructor to be present - a lot more practical.

I'd think the city counsel would want to make getting to the range easy and allow the officers to have easy access and hopefully be more proficient and less a liability to the city in case of a have to shoot situation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was issued a new M&P40 (Night Sights, Mag Safety, no IL FWIW) about four months ago. Other than transition training and qualification, about 600 rounds, I've never fired it. What!?!?!?! you say.

Well, it is pretty simple. I own my own M&P40 also, and when I feel the need to shoot one, I shoot mine. However, I'd be willing to bet that most of my coworkers have also not shot their issued M&P40 any more than I have and do not own one of their own. Law enforcement officers who are not "into guns" are not any different than anyone else, they don't shoot except when they have to.

I've shot my issued M&P enough to know it is totally reliable with our duty ammo (all the shooting we did was with duty ammo). I don't see any reason to subject it to shooting wear. It is the pistol I am most likely to be carrying if I ever get into a shooting, and I don't want some small part to be on the verge of breaking due to the wear of many thousands of rounds if that time ever comes. So, when I want to shoot an M&P, I shoot mine.

I shoot IDPA with my M&P9, so mostly I shoot that instead of my .40 anyway. Recoil is less, but not too much different, and handling and feel are exactly the same. The only real difference is that none of my full-size M&Ps have the mag safety and my duty weapon does.

So far they have all held up well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dukiedog, do you have any documentation on that 3:1 ratio? Just curious. It appears that Glock and Sig still have the law enforcement corner of the market; however, both Columbus and Cincinnati, Ohio PD's are carrying the M&P 40 with good success.

I do believe that we will see more and more agencies adopt the M&P but only time will tell.

·
Registered
178 Posts
"Suffice it to say that from all reports any time the M&P is in the running, it wins a contract nearly 3:1 over all other contenders combined"

I would like to see some documentation on that too. Where did those figures come from?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Training and Practice are a must in LAw Enforcement. I know most Dept's. only have 1 shoot a year and thats to qualify. Really thats not very smart for the Dept. Our Dept. has a practice shoot every 3 months and a qualifing shoot once a year. I like to better that and I try to go out 2 or 3 times a month if possible. Most people on the dept. don't shoot unless they have to shoot. Then they can't figure out why they didn't qualify the first or second time out. (stupid)

Civil suits are very expensive.

rogero

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure how the old "once a year qualification" even meets current training standards. In Ohio, at least, officers are required to successfully complete a state mandated qualification course annually for EVERY WEAPON THEY USE. In the case of my department, we have duty sidearms, patrol shotguns, patrol carbines, and off-duty handguns. This dictates a minimum of four trips to the range every year for even the least avid shooter in the department. Beyond that, if the officer is assigned to any duties requiring the use of additional weapons, he or she is required to qualify with them. So this brings in courses for the submachineguns and Sniper rifles. That is potentially six range days just for qualification. Throw in annual training with a firearms simulator, and a couple of non-qualification training shoots, and we are conducting some kind of firearms training 9 or 10 months out of the year, and the tactical team guys have their own monthly training which usually involves shooting. This is all just to stay current/competent with our weapons. Anything less would open the department and individual officer to potentially being held liable in the event a shooting results in lawsuit (almost a guarantee these days).

As to the original question, I recently completed the transition training for our department which has switched from the SW99 to the M&P. Out of all the pistols/shooters that were trained, there was exactly one who had a problem with his magazine dropping. We swapped out the catch right their on the range (which took about 2 minutes), and the problem went away. I think the M&P is a fantastic pistol.

HRF

·
Registered
38 Posts
DukieDog said:
Ever wonder where all the "refurb" Glocks come from?

All the police officers who rarely ever shoot them.

Around here, it's once a year qualifications. Other than that, guns have been known to rust in the holster.

You don't want to ask LEO about long term firearm ability. You might ask them about long term storage (^_^)

Seriously, people who run a lot of training like Front Sight, or Gunsite, or LFI would be good authorities as they see it all. Also, anyone that has run evaluations on various duty pistols would also be a good authority.

Suffice it to say that from all reports any time the M&P is in the running, it wins a contract nearly 3:1 over all other contenders combined.

Are you a cop?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts