MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm near sighted. I can see my front sight crystal clear but can't see the targets so well anymore.

At 7+yds, I can't see bullet holes...

I've been thinking of getting lazik surgery done. Has anyone here had this done? Pro's , con's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
sphpkr said:
I'm near sighted. I can see my front sight crystal clear but can't see the targets so well anymore.

At 7+yds, I can't see bullet holes...

I've been thinking of getting lazik surgery done. Has anyone here had this done? Pro's , con's?

Thanks!

I had it done back in '99 and it's the best money I spent. I just wish it had been available when I was younger. I hit 40 not too long ago and started to need reading glasses. But aside from reading I have 20/15 vision. Just make sure you get a reputable doctor and stay away from 'chop shops'.

·
Registered
708 Posts
wait untill your eyes stablize. they say usually around 25-30 yrs old where your sight doesnt change anymore. friend got it.. bout 1400 each eye.

its nice to have that money for your eyes. if u got it go for it.. im still waiting..till 28 or something.. ill be 26 in a month

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got mine done back in 2001 when I was 29.

Best money I ever spent.

Ended up with 20/15 in each eye.

Research the doctors in your area, and look online for reviews

of them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My shooting buddy had LASIK done in 2002. He was 20/200 without glasses before surgery and has been corrected to 20/30 without glasses now. He said it is the best money he has ever spent, however, it was costly due to his terrible vision. He seen Dr. Earl Lanter in Greenwood, IN and it cost him $2400 per eye for a total of $4800. He has had no side affects and loves every minute of being without glasses now. In his particular case though, he was not able to be corrected to 20/20 because he has never been able to see 20/20. While everybody is different, there are side affects that can be associated with the surgery. You can get better, worse, or have no change at all. Nonetheless, you still have to pay the doctor. All I know is my buddy is very satisfied with his procedure five years later.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pro's are far outweighing the cons! I wasn't sure how it would work from a handgun shooting standpoint where one needs to focus on front sight but also be able to refocus on target to confirm hits. Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I know 2 people with problems from Lasik.

One sees big halos around lights at night. He says he is used to it now.

The other has extremely dry eyes. She has to put drops in her eyes at least once an hour.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Two points from my side; at 43 years old my vision is just starting to change so waiting doesn't seem to make sense and my girlfriend has had worse vision since the surgery (bad halo's and no night vision). Do as much research as possible before the decision!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'll play devils advocate :)

My best friend had it done and could not be more disatisfied.. He had terrific night vision prior to the surgery, that's gone.. He had to have it "fixed" and that has not worked to well.. he still needs his glasses alibit a little less strong for what was supposed to be corrected etc.. and he still needs glasses for reading.

He used a top of the line surgeon in his area, paid good money and was a good candiate for the surgery.. it just did not turn out as he expected nor wanted..

There are risks in everything, and honestly i know other folks that have wondered why they waited so long to have it done and consider it the best thing since sliced bread..

Do your research on the Doctor, extensive.. Use only a highly recomended doctor by Patients, NOT adveritsements.. Get referals and call them, ask about everything, prep work, the surgery, after care etc.. Get a second opinion from a reputable Opthamologist about your being a good or bad candidate for the surgery.. I know mine told me to forget it..

Spend the money.. most top of the line surgeons are not cheap.

I've not had the surgery although i've asked two different doc's about it, they have both told me i'm not a good candidate, mostly due to other health issues..

Good luck..

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I really want to get the surgery, but some of the cons have held me back for years. If i were to take my contacts out, i couldnt read my monitor without being at least a foot from it. My mother did the old school razor surgery and had nothing but problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
I know 2 people with problems from Lasik.

One sees big halos around lights at night. He says he is used to it now.

The other has extremely dry eyes. She has to put drops in her eyes at least once an hour.

Typically the people who have the halos problem had very bad myopia to begin with. They have to do so much carving out of the cornea that it causes that effect. My doctor brought that up to me before surgery as any good doctor should. My vision was 20/225 before the surgery which made me a perfect candidate. Level of myopia is definately something to consider before having it done.

·
Registered
490 Posts
my wife can't get lasik done. She has to get PRK. Her eyes are a -12 on whatever the scale it is they use and she wants it really bad. Down side is that it is 5-6 grand. NO one should di the operation on you until they know your eyes have stabalized. If they DO do the operation they just want your money becuase it will be temporary and your eyesight will get worse again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had lasik surgery done on 12/27/06 in South America. I have perfect vision with no problems (not even the "halo" issue at night.) I definately would recommend it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I can't imagine spending near 2k and ending up with a worst view of the world

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had all laser Lasik on the 2nd of this month, I'm on day 13. I am 51 and needed glasses for reading and distance. I elected to get mono-vision. My dominant eye is 20/20 for distance and my weak eye is 20/20 for reading. I am very pleased. I can read very fine print without glasses and can see distance very well. I had halos for about a week but they went away. I researched doctors and ended up flying to California from Arizona to go to who I think is one of the best surgeons in the west. I'm loving the results!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts