MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for anyone who leaves a loaded mag in an easily accessible location for emergencies...

Is it OK for the mag spring to be compressed by a fully loaded mag indefinitely, or is it a good idea to rotate which mag is left loaded after a certain period of time of sitting around?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Short answer: yes.

I leave all five mags fully loaded and there is no problem as far as the spring losing tension. They are designed such that at full compression the spring still has not reached its plastic failure limit. If you want a much better explaination and detail, then you can search this site, I believe there was another post on this topic. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Loading and unloading can actually wear out a spring more than just leaving it.

If you plan to leave it for extended periods, a round or two shy of full is probably not a bad idea. Just be sure to have some spares handy, and train with the capacity you keep. But don't load the mag and unload the mag as you go about your life just because you feel that leaving it loaded is bad. The loading and unloading is actually worse as it puts cycles on the spring and springs are rated for how many cycles they are good for.

That said, I usually load up my new mags and mags with new springs and leave them for several weeks just to break them in. I might shoot in that time, but I'll store the mags full. I find that doing this makes it easier to load that last round in many cases.

After that, I generally leave the mags empty except for the defense loads, but I rotate those mags monthly, shooting off the old ammo and loading up a new mag. This keeps the wear fairly even and gives everyone a rest.

Since magazines are critical to the function of the auto-loader and most malfunctions are usually associated with the magazine, I mark all mags that have had issues. I simply don't use them, or for only non-critical uses like chambering a round before inserting a full magazine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Depending on the pistol I am using for my nightstand (I rotate between my PX4 and M&P) I always keep the mag one round short. I have always done this with all of my semi-autos and never experienced any type of weakening in the springs.

The Guinea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts