MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your guys opinions/past experience on this subject. I leave my gun loaded with one in the chamber in my car and my bedside at night. I just need to know if leavin the gun loaded with the striker cocked for extended periods can harm the gun in any way? i've heard of it weakening the striker, but not sure about the factuality of that statement. also does leaving the mags loaded for extended periods harm them? weakening the springs etc.? any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have read on various forums and some articles that it does no harm. Sorry, can't cite specific writings. Working the springs wear them out.

For example, a law enforcement duty gun is usually carried with a round in the chamber, stricker cocked, and mags loaded all day long. If the gun is stored at the end of shift, the mag is dropped and the round in the chamber is ejected. The rounds will remain in the mag until the next range session.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Flyin_.45 said:
I need your guys opinions/past experience on this subject. I leave my gun loaded with one in the chamber in my car and my bedside at night. I just need to know if leavin the gun loaded with the striker cocked for extended periods can harm the gun in any way? i've heard of it weakening the striker, but not sure about the factuality of that statement. also does leaving the mags loaded for extended periods harm them? weakening the springs etc.? any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

I would be more worried about leaving a loaded weapon in the car.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
(1) Practice more often. Then you won't have to worry about it.

(2) Leaving the gun and mags loaded for years at a time won't cause any problems. They're designed to be carried day in and day out by LE and military personnel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Mad212 since you feel more inclined to not talk about the question I had and would rather discuss where I keep my gun, I feel inclined to answer. I keep my gun in my car because in my state i'm not old enough to carry, but am allowed to legally carry a loaded gun in my car. now I dunno about you, but i'd rather have a loaded gun within running distance than locked up at home if something happens! now please tell me your problem with this.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Flyin_.45 said:
Well Mad212 since you feel more inclined to not talk about the question I had and would rather discuss where I keep my gun, I feel inclined to answer. I keep my gun in my car because in my state i'm not old enough to carry, but am allowed to legally carry a loaded gun in my car. now I dunno about you, but i'd rather have a loaded gun within running distance than locked up at home if something happens! now please tell me your problem with this.

lol I did answer your question.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Personally I'd keep a full mag with an empty chamber as the sound of me racking the slide will make anyone in my house who shouldn't be think twice about whether my worthless Wally-Mart belongings are worth dying for. Also, if you have time to run to the car you probably have time to chamber a round, just my two cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
thedude said:
Personally I'd keep a full mag with an empty chamber as the sound of me racking the slide will make anyone in my house who shouldn't be think twice about whether my worthless Wally-Mart belongings are worth dying for. Also, if you have time to run to the car you probably have time to chamber a round, just my two cents.

Thats the way i always look at it, I never carry with one in the chamber. It just takes a little bit more understanding of your suroundings. If you see something bad about to happen draw and rack the side. Besides it would be a moment that will change your life either way from that point on. It is worth the extra 2 seconds of thought.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
MTech said:
till that extra 2 seconds cost you your life.

exatcly, these guys don't want you to have a chance, their going to run full speed out of a dark corner an already have a gun pointed at you. to late then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mad212 said:
[quote name='MTech']till that extra 2 seconds cost you your life.

exatcly, these guys don't want you to have a chance, their going to run full speed out of a dark corner an already have a gun pointed at you. to late then.[/quote]

First, if someone pulled a gun on me, I would give them my wallet. I wouldn't get in a gun fight for $50, because I don't carry cash and my card have protection on them. Secondly, if I lived in that bad of an area I would move. I don't even carry in town. I carry hiking, camping, fishing, and mainly use it for home protection. My family is worth getting in a gun fight. I would have 2 seconds to rack the slide, because my dog would be barking the second someone made any noise.

I will say this, if you shoot someone on the street in selfdefense you better be stabbed or have a witness. That is if you live in a "duty to retreat" state like i do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flyin_.45 said:

I leave my gun loaded 24/7 next to my bed (I can't legally carry in this godforsaken state), and I usually keep all my mags loaded, and have noticed no problems whatsoever. One would think that if keeping a round chambered for long periods in a concealed carry weapon would weaken the striker, that particular weapon wouldn't sell nor perform very well.

edit - Want to add that in actuality, keeping mags loaded 24/7 helps "soften" the springs quite a bit, making the final round of our notoriously stiff mags go in that much easier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
jamesr said:
[quote name='thedude']Personally I'd keep a full mag with an empty chamber as the sound of me racking the slide will make anyone in my house who shouldn't be think twice about whether my worthless Wally-Mart belongings are worth dying for. Also, if you have time to run to the car you probably have time to chamber a round, just my two cents.

Thats the way i always look at it, I never carry with one in the chamber. It just takes a little bit more understanding of your suroundings. If you see something bad about to happen draw and rack the side. Besides it would be a moment that will change your life either way from that point on. It is worth the extra 2 seconds of thought.[/quote]

You may seriously want to reconsider why you carry, and especially your tactic about carrying without a round in the chamber. The fact of the matter is that if you ever need to draw your weapon, you're going to be in a situation where lethal force may very well be necessary. Given that, do you want to have to chamber a round before you can defend yourself? The BG isn't worried about giving you that extra 2 seconds, and those 2 seconds may very well decide who gets shot - you or him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I generally keep the chamber empty for a week or two when I'm carrying a new gun or using a new holster. I like to confirm that nothing in my daily routine (a machine control lever, putting a hammer or screwdriver into my tool belt...) could cause the trigger to be depressed or I screw up my grip while drawing a new/unfamiliar weapon. Once I'm comfortable that I can safely carry the weapon there is one in the pipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
springs explained

Probably the most commonly misunderstood and important part of an autoloader

is the spring. Here's the skinny:

"5. Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?"

"Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting. Magazine design and capacity also last for years fully loaded. There was a lot of room for a lot of spring which reduced the overall stress on the spring. In recent hi-capacity magazines the magazines were designed to hold more rounds with less spring material. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but is not always practical. In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provid maximum life. Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs."

Wolff FAQ;s : Frequently Asked Questions from the Wolff Prescision Gunsprings catalog.

This quote should probably be tacked that is unless you think Wolff is just trying to sell you more springs. :roll:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I can absolutely assure you that factory Beretta and SIG magazines can be kept fully loaded for years and still be as reliable as they were when new. They can be kept in service for many years. "In service" means they're loaded all the time except during practice sessions at the range during which they're loaded and unloaded repeatedly.

While I don't have as much experience with the M&P magazines long term, given their construction and the company that builds them (the same company that makes the mags for Beretta and SIG) I would feel very comfortable believing they'll hold up just as well.

With the exception of 1911's, modern fighting guns and their magazines are designed so you don't have to worry about this kind of thing. Downloading mags, cycling mags, etc. is simply unnecessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: springs explained

strad said:
Probably the most commonly misunderstood and important part of an autoloader

is the spring. Here's the skinny:

"5. Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds? How often should I change magazine springs?"

"Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as law enforcement applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs which are loaded up only when shooting. Magazine design and capacity also last for years fully loaded. There was a lot of room for a lot of spring which reduced the overall stress on the spring. In recent hi-capacity magazines the magazines were designed to hold more rounds with less spring material. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but is not always practical. In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provid maximum life. Regular shooting will verify reliability and regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs."

Wolff FAQ;s : Frequently Asked Questions from the Wolff Prescision Gunsprings catalog.

This quote should probably be tacked that is unless you think Wolff is just trying to sell you more springs. :roll:

Wolfe is not really an unbiased source. Their biz is to sell springs so you could hardly expect them to say, "Don't worry they'll last forever".

Which is what I think will happen as long as the spring is not pushed beyond it's design limits.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use a Beretta Vertec Inox (basically a 92) for my home defence gun and guest target shooting gun. Its magazines have been stored full for almost three years now. The only time the magazines are empty is the 2 minutes from unloading the premium defence rounds and putting in cheap target rounds. In three years the gun has never failed in any way.

My SIG 226s magazines were stored full for about 8 years without a failure.

As I've gotten older and can afford extra magazines I've started rotating them just to be safe, but I'm really not convinced that it's needed. If properly done I think a spring is designed and built to do a job and it does it until it has been flexed too many times and finally breaks due to metal fatigue. Think of the abuse that the valve springs in an engine endure.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts