MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just received my M&P back from Smith for warranty work and noticed the trigger isn't quite as nice as it was when I sent it in. Getting a trigger job is sounding really nice but I have some concerns. Most forefront is that of the liability issues. Everything I've ever read and heard says never carry a gun that is not factory stock because if you have to use it and you've changed a safety, trigger, etc. you can be painted by the prosecuter as making the firearm "More Lethal" and "knowing more about guns than the manufacturer" etc. What's your take on this?

Also, what does it do to the warranty on the firearm? Has anyone talked to S&W about this?

Thanks,

MC

·
Registered
298 Posts
Much of Massad Ayoobs writings deal with 'if brought up in court'. Yet I haven't heard of a single court case where the shooter used lethal force (legally justified) and had a trigger job and his/her guns trigger work was brought up.

It's simple, if it's a good/legal use of force it won't matter if your trigger was 1lb or 50lbs. Justified use of force it just that. If lethal force wasn't needed expect a trial.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I take it as Like getting performance tires on my truck, taking a good thing and making it better.

If I skid out of control and hit a person killing them, more than likely its going to be because I'm a jackass, not the tires.

Has anyone ever been sued because they changed out the tires to aftermarket ones?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Here's the thing. The homicide is justifiable or it isnt'. The method REALLY doesn't matter.

now where you might have some legitimate concer is if you are the kind of person likely to negligently put a bullet throguh some neighbor while futzing around with your firearm in your home. Then a trigger job might actually make it worse and brand you as more responisble.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I hope this doesn't turn into the fiasco another thread turned into, but here is my answer. Mr Massad Ayoob seems to be the most quoted person in this line of thought BUT!!!!! even he doesn't say not to modify a weapon to be defensible in court. He says be careful of what modifications you make. He is all for sights you can see. He is all for smoothing the action of your weapon, he doens't think that pull should be less than 4 lbs buy nowhere that I have read does he say "NO" modifications. He does say don't put "kill em all" grips on your gun. He has been known to consistently say not to remove any safeties from a weapon and mag disconcets have been the issue he is referring to. Don't want to be betrayed as someone who would knowingly remove a safety device BUT!!!! again there is never any case law proving that to be an issue for someone. Many people shoot box stock firearms very well. I think we should shoot our weapons stock for awhile to see what they really need to help us perform better with them. BUT!!!!!!!!! again, till someone comes up with case law that says a good person who is in a justifiable shooting lost because they modified their weapon, well this myth just needs to stop. It will continue to be in print in magazines because contriversial stuff sell mags with gets advertising dollars. It will continue on the Errornet because anyone (myself included) can type anything they want and help to spread more lies, gossip and half truths to their hearts content.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Technically, they can't void a warranty other than on the modified parts or if they can demonstrate that the modified parts led to the failure of the borken, non-modified parts. Magnusson-moss should apply to guns just as well as cars.

That being said, it's a firearm, and they usually don't want the liability, so usually they will fix it. Biggest worry is that they will yank out all your gunsmithed parts and replace them with factory stock.

Another reason to shoot the crap out of a gun before you decide to change anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts