MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your opinion about the M&P, and the general opinion from the force?

What other pistols have you had and liked or didn't care for?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My S.O. received a T&E gun and everyone who shot it really liked it however, it has yet to approved for use on duty. Our Chief Dep. has concerns about how many different models are already being carried and hesitates to add another. Our dept. carries both S&W and Glock. We have deps. carrying all the different variations of the 3rd gens., a few Sigmas and SW99's. I bought an M&P 40 so I'm chompin' at the bit to carry it but, I carry a 4003TSW now and I'm perfectly comfortable with that for now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My S.O. in Va. is testing the M&P and everyone really likes it. My S.O. carries Glock's now but is really looking hard at changing to the M&P. I have the pistol in 9mm and have been very impressed with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We dont have any M&Ps and it doesnt look like we'll be getting any here. We just moved from the Smith 4046 to the SW99 about 2 years ago and we'll probably run those for 10 years or so before going to something new. Its a shame too. Most of us feel the 99 is a POS and would prefer something else. At this point, I wouldnt mind going back to the 4046.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My department is supposed to be issuing the M&P40 soon. We have some folks going for qualification next month, and I assume they will get them then. I have to go for training before I get issued one (still don't know when that is going to be). At any rate it looks like I am going to be missing out totally on the revolvers. You would think the fact that I spent the last ten years as a cop would make it easier, but you would be wrong. The state requires certain hoops of everyone.

I am looking for a reserve gig in NC. If I find one, I expect to use my LE M&P as a duty weapon if they let me carry my own.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Landric said:
I am looking for a reserve gig in NC. If I find one, I expect to use my LE M&P as a duty weapon if they let me carry my own.

I doubt that they will as long at your talking mil reserve, unless you want to convince the gov that they need to replace the POS baretta(sp)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nah, civilian LE reserve. I just worked out a reserve gig yesterday actually. I can carry whatever I want, and change around if I want, I just have to provide the holster and ammo if it isn't a .40. So, I think my main duty weapons will be the M&P and my 4566 TSW.

Anyone know if a duty holster for the M&P yet? I am partial to Safariland products.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Safariland has a 6280 and 6004 coming out for the M&P, but you cant find them yet. If you need a holster right now, a 6280 for the Glock 21 will fit it. It will be a bit tight, but if you dremel the holster, you can make it a much more natural fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
we tested Glock 22s and Sig 226s both in .40 S&W and were not able to agree on which was best for our Dept. Then we received the M&P .40 for evaluation and it became appearent fairly quickly that this would be the new sidearm for our officers. Transition training is currently underway

·
Registered
14 Posts
I retired from my department this past January after a bit over 20 years service. Before I came on they transitioned from S&W Mdl. 28's (6") to Beretta 92SB's. When I retired we still carried 92's although we had cycled thru to newer guns and had bought new 92G's in 1999. The guns served us flawlessly and continue to do so, in fact I just retired my personal "G" at a bit over 80K and it is running strong. I still shoot it, but the majority of my shooting is now done with an M&P .40. I am about 5K in to this gun and , so far, really like it. I have to use it a bit to get as comfortable as I am with the Beretta, but I think it is a very innovative promising pistol. I am aware of plenty of agencies in my area giving it a hard look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts