MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since many of you here are LEO's I was wondering if you can give me an idea of what the general pistol qualification is like.?.? Info like % round's on target, scoring, distance, target type, stationary or moving target, ... stuff like that. Basically what do you have to do to qualify on a pistol??

Just wondering, wanna get something to compare to and work torwards.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Greatzippy, most LE quals are nothing to work towards. They are lame at best. They show you can meet the minumun standard. The Ohio standard is so low I have been able to meet the qual standard in the tactical rifle even at 150 feet with my M&P handguns. You should work to a higher standard. The section that causes our guys the most trouble if you can believe this is 6 rounds in 18 seconds at 50 feet. The target is a full size human size with a center that is about 12 inches wide by 24 deep. It has some contours to it but it is huge. I have meat this by shooting my handgun upside down in my hand using my pinky finger to trigger the gun.

Please shoot for a higher standard. CHECK 360 David Bowie

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pennsylvania is the same way. The "killer" is stage 1. 8 rounds 40 seconds at 75 ft from cover with a "tactical" reload. Target is NRA TQ 21

The course of fire is an improvement from the standard that was used since 1976 when it come's to manipulation.The older course of fire placed more emphasis on accuracy.Geeze what a concept.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bowie Tactical said:
Greatzippy, most LE quals are nothing to work towards. They are lame at best. They show you can meet the minumun standard. The Ohio standard is so low I have been able to meet the qual standard in the tactical rifle even at 150 feet with my M&P handguns. You should work to a higher standard. The section that causes our guys the most trouble if you can believe this is 6 rounds in 18 seconds at 50 feet. The target is a full size human size with a center that is about 12 inches wide by 24 deep. It has some contours to it but it is huge. I have meat this by shooting my handgun upside down in my hand using my pinky finger to trigger the gun.

Please shoot for a higher standard. CHECK 360 David Bowie

Its a know fact most cops cant shoot. Then there are the exceptions like yourself. Many have never even fired a gun prior to entering the academy.

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
Been there done that. Some law enforcement officers are really poor shots, a wild guess that maybe 10% have a hard time qualifying, I've done a lot of private tutoring for some of them so they could qualify. You would be surprised how many of them can't even hit the full size target from 50 yards even when they aren't rushed.

The qualification in my state, at that time, was 80% of your hits had to hit inside of the 8 ring of the standard B27 target, and for qualification the longest distance was 25 yards, with a large portion of the shooting done at the 7 yard and 15 yard lines, I was the only person in my class at the academy that shot a perfect score. About 10% of my class didn't qualify the first time and had to re shoot the qualification, I think everyone finally qualified, but at least a couple of them took the qualification more than twice to do it. :roll:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gee ... and I was looking for something to score myself on, sounds like making my own standards might be better LOL

But from what I gather from the posts I should consider at 80% at 16 & 25 yard a goal for starters.

I've been using a basic 1 foot round target w/ 5-9 rings + bulleye that I just print out on paper (not sure how that compares to a qual target). At 7 yards I have no probs getting 80% + in the 7+ rings. My 16 yard needs work .... more like the 5-7 ring, some better then that & some worse. I haven't even tried 25 yards yet.

The last time I shot was over 7 years ago using a 9mm. I just got the .40 which I never shot before & so for have only shot 500 rounds out of it. So I would think I'n not doing to bad considering using the info provided for comparison.

Not that I'm going to stop trying to get better .... just wanted to see where I might place if I was actually being tested.

G56 said:
You would be surprised how many of them can't even hit the full size target from 50 yards even when they aren't rushed.

50 yards .... I doubt I'd hit much at that range too

·
Site Staff
9,606 Posts
It's really impressive to see the bottom end shooters bouncing bullets off the ground downrange when shooting at 50 yards, that would mean they were shooting 2-3 FEET below the target at that distance, I remember at least one target with a fairly low score that had the imprint of a bullet passing through the target sideways! Our best guess was that the bullet had ricocheted off the ground before hitting the target.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I teach firearms at the county police academy at a community college.I had a student that would bounce bullets off of the 10 yard firing line from 15 yards! He wa so inconsistant it was impossible to to correct one problem when he created multiple problems in the process. One shot would be center one would hit the grass 3 feet away the next left the range
. He wasn't controlable .For safety sake he was told to leave . He'd dryfire and be solid as a rock.As soon as live ammo was introduced all bets were off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think one of the better "tests" for all around gunhandling is the IDPA Classifier. If you do a search I am sure you can come up with it. It comes in three strings or stages. You could always shoot one of the strings each time at the range. You should probably think about getting a shot timer for this though.

I have gotten most of my Officers to qualify at the Sharpshooter level. Pushing everyone to hit the Expert level if possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's a fairly challenging course of fire that you can set up on a square range. It requires an IDPA style target with a 6" square box for the head and an 8" circle for center of mass. All shots are taken from the 7 yard line. Start either IDPA concealment style, or from a retention duty holster. We have adopted it as a standard test for our training regimen (dubbed the 10-8 Pistol Test #1) and is an excellent benchmark for evaluating combat marksmanship, fundamental gunhandling skills, and some advanced skills such as weak hand only shooting and one handed slide manipulations.

The purpose of using par times was for ease of running large numbers of students through the test without having to individually run each shooter through the string with a timer. Also, reality is such that sometimes we have to shoot in a noisy indoor range while someone else is shooting, so use of a shot timer may not always be practical.

It is important to select a par time that is correct for your skill level. If you find that you are consistently shooting 55-60 points at a particular par time, then it might be time to move up to the next par time, or attempt to clean the drill at the current par time.

For clarification, the “high ready” position is with the gun retracted, at about chin level, muzzle pointed toward the target.

Remember that this drill was not designed to be easy to clean. My best score was 60, with a 5 second par time, shooting a 5" steel framed 1911.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts