MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most people want power, but I want to know what would be the least powerful 9mm shell I could get?? The reason I ask is for my GF. Shes smaller but has no problem shooting my FS GLock or FS M&P40, but her smaller Beretta 9000(9mm), the slide doesnt return completely(70% of the time) when she shoots. I have no problem shooting the 9000, I like it, but I am affaird she cant keep her wrists tight enough for the recoil and its cause the slide problem.

Any ammo suggestions? (I dont even know if they make weak 9mm ammo)

edit: or spring suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You could roll your own, but that is about the only way. I don't think that would fix your problem anyway, though. Proper stance and grip will. Maybe she could benefit from a "class?"

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is just my opinion so please dont take offense, If your girlfriend is having problems with that particular Beretta and not the glock and such then common sense would tell me to give her something that works better for her.

Maybe the Beretta is more concealable but if its not working for her then it doesnt really matter does it. If nothing else give her the glock or go buy her one and then you have an excuse to assesorize the new purchase with her, most women are down for shopping.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
To follow what glocker said, there is a reason the 9000S was discontinued. It was problematic from the day it hit the market, and the first batch had to be recalled due to a problem with the safety lever. To the best of my knowledge, it's the only pistol ever rated as "don't buy one" in a Mas Ayoob article. Seriously, they were spectacularly craptastic.

I've described the 9000S as "the kind of gun you'd expect from a country that hasn't won a war since Rome fell."

The problems your girlfriend is having with the 9000S are almost certainly the gun's fault and not hers. Make sure the pistol is completely lubricated per the owner's manual. You could try shipping the gun back to BUSA, or you could just find a better gun that fits her. Weaker ammunition is not likely going to fix the problem, and if anything I expect might exacerbate it.

To answer your original question:

The softest-shooting factory 9x19mm ammo I've shot is Cor-Bon Performance Match, which is a 147gr bullet at 850fps.

My current regular practice load is 124gr "Indoor Range" lead-free TMJ from American Eagle, which is also unbelievably soft shooting, cleaner than any ammo I've ever seen, and very accurate. It costs less than the Cor-Bon and comes from a major manufacturer.

Standard Winchester White Box is also notoriously soft shooting, to the point where it sometimes fails to function in tighter or more sensitive guns.

Train hard and stay safe!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I have seen extremely mixed reviews about the 9000s, personally I like it, no problems for me. For her the opposite, she got it for under $300 new which was probably the biggest reason and cosmetic... of course :roll: . Since she had problems I assumed it was her grip/control, but I'd imagine its part gun too. But alot of the time its the user's fault when most 'brand name' guns dont work.

I'll look into some of the Cor-Bon as well. Thanks for that information, it was what I was looking for.

glocker said:
Maybe the Beretta is more concealable but if its not working for her then it doesnt really matter does it. If nothing else give her the glock or go buy her one and then you have an excuse to assesorize the new purchase with her, most women are down for shopping.

Good call, Glocks are like 2x as much as that 9000s (prbly for good reason) Too bad they dont sell the Glock 25 (.380) in the US, that would be prefect.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
chilewhat said:
Good call, Glocks are like 2x as much as that 9000s (prbly for good reason) Too bad they dont sell the Glock 25 (.380) in the US, that would be prefect.

Actually, the recoil of the G25 is no tamer than the G26. So even if that option existed, with the G26 you get a more effective cartridge in the same package.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Softest 9mm Bullet

The 115gr Winchester White Box Target Ammo @ Walmart for under $15 a 100 shells.

The Stuff Feeds Like a Dream in Anything and Has The Kick of a Cap Gun.

If This Stuff Don't Feed Nothing Will.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the Problem .

Spent Case Not Ejecting

or

Slide Not Going into battery for next shot?

If The Spent Case is not Ejecting Try Heavier Loads (IE 147gr)

If Its Not inserting the next shell into battery then its a spring problem.

Limp wrist causes the spent case to not eject It has nothing to do with the Load not going into battery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the slide isnt returning all the way forward. it stops like .1 of an inch, so my GF has to tap it forward. It cycles the rds fine, just the barrel doesnt lock back together into the slide completely. I've only tryed the cheap stuff, UMC fmj, UMC jhp and some brand I forgot, all 115gr i believe. But again, I have fired it and it only happened to me twice.

She saw a Taurus Mill (PT111)(9mm) & liked the feel and look(most important haha). I think i can rent it at my range to have her try out, I dont mind Taurus wheel guns so the compact should be nice.

thanks for the input. I thought maybe a lower muzzle vel would help. I dont know much about ammo and its effect on a weapon though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get Her a Springfield XD9, That Gun will shoot any ammo,

I bought My wife One, it has never jammed even with crap reloads that My Glock would choke on.

Its around $475 so its in Taurus price range but More reliable than any Taurus I've ever shot.

It also points well and is built like a tank and lighter than a Taurus.

Check one out and You will be sold Friend.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
The M&P 9mm has less recoil than the XD9.

I have spent quite a bit of time shooting these side by side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts