MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! First time posting here, also first time S&W owner - just purchased my second handgun - fell in love with the Shield Plus w/o TS when I went to my LGS tried out that crisp trigger and how it fit in my hand. My first pistol I purchased a year ago right when the **** hit the fan w covid, but had been wanting to get a firearm for some time previously. I decided on a Springfield XD9 4" service model based on price point and safety features. Fast forward a year and I began to get super antsy about getting something smaller/lighter for EDC. I had been searching for a micro compact but the hellcat and P365 all were way too small and I was not at all comfortable doing the 3 finger grip and worrying about fumbling a gun when trying to get a good purchase from the holster. One month ago S&W drops this thing and I am hooked right away! I have big hands and this fits me just perfect - the ergonomics on this gun are fantastic! Just today popped the cherry on it and put 50 rds downwind as soon as I got it. Shoots like a dream. Only quarks so far I haven't really liked is the decocking sear when field stripping the gun and the fact when you remove the mag and eject one from the chamber my Hornady critical defense ammo gets stuck square in between the loaded barrel indicator and the back of the slide - only falls out when clearing while the port is facing down. I know this post isn't brief, leading into several subjects but - I'm super excited about this gun; we all know this platform is a popular trend w manufacturers as they come out with more features in a micro-compact double stack pistol and so I want to know what people think of this gun; their likes and dislikes so far about the gun, any known issues they may be having and what their EDC setup is like with the Shield Plus. Also anyone know where to get spare mags? 馃槈馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
I bought the new Shield Plus a few weeks back and for the most part, it's pretty decent. For a small gun it does seem to handle recoil quite well. It's less snappy than my 43x and feels pretty good in the hand. The one thing that bothers me though is how there is such a large gap between the 13 round extended mag and the mag well. It is far from flush when the extended mag is inserted, and I can actually feel it moving around a bit when firing at the range. Not sure if there is an issue with my extended mag, or if that's how they all are, but to me its really annoying lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I bought the new Shield Plus a few weeks back and for the most part, it's pretty decent. For a small gun it does seem to handle recoil quite well. It's less snappy than my 43x and feels pretty good in the hand. The one thing that bothers me though is how there is such a large gap between the 13 round extended mag and the mag well. It is far from flush when the extended mag is inserted, and I can actually feel it moving around a bit when firing at the range. Not sure if there is an issue with my extended mag, or if that's how they all are, but to me its really annoying lol.
Jay you're right about the recoil - many people I know who own smith and wesson firearms say the felt or perceived recoil is just less compared to alot of other brands out there. My mother runs a kimber micro 9 and even with the nice recoil springs on the 1911/colt mustang type platform she thought this new gun was less snappy, and I think the grip texture they've revised has a bit to do with it. And Jay again your right the extended magazine is far from flush they're all like that from what I saw in my gun shop - I get you though the inner OCD says it should be flush -it's not pretty but, I'm not concerned it feels solid in the gun and honestly I welcome it as the 13 rd extended magazine is what I need for the size of my hands as soon as I put in the 10 rd mag the pinky is just left dangling 馃ぃ

Registered
This is my third S&W I have owned and the recoil on all of them is minimal compared to others I have shot. I think you are right, that it is the OCD in me I guess lol. I just cannot get comfortable with the extended mag having such a large gap. I don't care if it's a visible gap at all, but the way it actually feels in the hand with that much wiggle room, makes it a big deal (to me at least, I'm sure most people won't care or notice). I know other gun manufactures have done a great job with making their extended mags fit flush, just really disappointing that S&W didn't (my opinion of course)

Registered
I just pick one up a couple of days ago but I only clean it but I haven't took it to the range yet, I will try to go sometime this week. The other Shield I have which is all of them I love how it shoot and I figure this will be no different.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just pick one up a couple of days ago but I only clean it but I haven't took it to the range yet, I will try to go sometime this week. The other Shield I have which is all of them I love how it shoot and I figure this will be no different.
Please let me know your thoughts on how it ran once you take it to the range. I was impressed I fed it some Tula no problems. I don't get why so many people are reserved about buying a new gun waiting to see what problems there are if this is just a new upgraded iteration of a already very reliable gun. I see some people got burned with the first generation hellcats and the trigger hanging/not engaging but that was also a brand new platform nothing like it in Springfields lineup this is basically like the other shields with a wider grip, new trigger and double stack capacity.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my third S&W I have owned and the recoil on all of them is minimal compared to others I have shot. I think you are right, that it is the OCD in me I guess lol. I just cannot get comfortable with the extended mag having such a large gap. I don't care if it's a visible gap at all, but the way it actually feels in the hand with that much wiggle room, makes it a big deal (to me at least, I'm sure most people won't care or notice). I know other gun manufactures have done a great job with making their extended mags fit flush, just really disappointing that S&W didn't (my opinion of course)
Jay do you use the shield for ccw? Is that issue make or break for you? I didn't notice that much movement on my magazine but the gap is there for sure. Who knows only a matter of time till a 3rd party comes out with a better, higher capacity mag, might even fit better! 馃榿

Registered
I don't use the Shield Plus for ccw just yet. I've only put about 70-80 rounds through it so far, and I usually will put close to 500 rounds through a gun before I feel comfortable making it my edc. Honestly, the amount of movement I feel in the extended mag is annoying enough for me that I probably will wait for a 3rd party to come out with something more flush with less movement. Other than that issue though, the Shield Plus is a fun little gun to shoot out at the range

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't use the Shield Plus for ccw just yet. I've only put about 70-80 rounds through it so far, and I usually will put close to 500 rounds through a gun before I feel comfortable making it my edc. Honestly, the amount of movement I feel in the extended mag is annoying enough for me that I probably will wait for a 3rd party to come out with something more flush with less movement. Other than that issue though, the Shield Plus is a fun little gun to shoot out at the range
I'm ignorant on the subject as I've only been a firearm owner for a year and carrying for about 9 of those months but isn't the shield already heavily praised/vetted as a cc gun? Shoot, I'll be the guinea pig everyone talks about when first getting a newly introduced gun. Everything on it feels so well made, except that non-flush extended mag 馃槈 or maybe I've just been too impatient to upgrade my EDC 馃し馃徏鈥嶁檪锔 I just think it's ready to go. 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sleeve Personal protective equipment Font Fashion accessory Metal
Is anyone using a IWB holster and if so what make and model ?
Just trying to find a holster for mine with the CT mounted on it.
I bought mine locally here in Florida with Bucks Holsters, small profile with a sweat guard and wing. I tried a discreet carry concepts monoblock to replace the FOMI it came with but it bunches up my pants it's too tight, may need to try some of their 1.75 inch clips for that little bit of wiggle room I'm used to but a slimmer profile.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bigger than P365. Too big for pocket carry. 365 better.
Hadn't thought of using it for pocket carry, although with living in Florida, I can get away with wearing cargo shorts just about all year around, so no shortage on pocket space. Why do you prefer to pocket carry @Univibe ?

Registered
Just tried the Plus at a Shooting Range. Handling it only, no firing. I want an EDC gun as I am going to get a CC Liscense. Am still debating on amount of carrying I would do. Number of concerns there. I started with a Shield 2.0 9mm early last year. Very hard to rack with the stout spring. But, I managed at the range. Arthritic hands. However, when disassembling and the slide locked in the back position, it was very hard for me to pull it back the final 1/16th of an inch to release slide lock and have slide go back forward. I traded it in for a 9mm EZ. Very easy to rack, but had the FTF issues. I sorted that out and was fine. But, wanted a second gun and bought an M&P 2.0 9mm 4 inch barrel. No issues racking it either. Starting looking for an EDC gun and liked everything about the Plus. But, afraid of having the same racking issues I had with the older Shield.

Not so today. The gun fit my hand perfectly with the 13 round mag, and no issues racking it. Including pulling it back that final amount to release slide lock and have the slide go back into battery. The slide lock was stiff. But, it should loosen up like my M&P 2.0 did. I don't use it as a release anyway. It should shoot like my first Shield, which was great. All reviews support that.

I will be purchasing one and trading in the EZ.

Registered
Honest Outlaw released his review of the top 5 Miro 9 Pistols. I completely agree with his grading order...

Registered
I saw that and watched. Honest Outlaw always has good reviews. Agree on the order too. I hope I can make my purchase before they become hard to find.

Looking for IWB holsters and Leather belts with steel inserts. Urban Carry Lockleather, Alien Gear 4.0 IWB Comfort Fit. And Bigfoot Belts. All seem good quality.

Registered
I saw that and watched. Honest Outlaw always has good reviews. Agree on the order too. I hope I can make my purchase before they become hard to find.

Looking for IWB holsters and Leather belts with steel inserts. Urban Carry Lockleather, Alien Gear 4.0 IWB Comfort Fit. And Bigfoot Belts. All seem good quality.
Vedder light tuck is the best for the money and as far as belts go I鈥檝e had the best luck with KORE gun belts.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts