MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never asked this question about any of my semi auto pistols, including my M&P's.
When the slide is locked back and the slide lock is released, is it good/not good, for the slide to rack home so hard? I never do it intentionally, only when a magazine is installed does it happen.
I was just wondering if it hurts the slide or the frame in any way at all.:unsure:

·
Registered
292 Posts
You should see it when you fire a round... I doubt anything you do by hand racking it would in anyway hurt it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Like X said, that's how they work. You won't hurt it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That is the correct way to chamber the first round.

You want it to strip the round from the mag and chamber it firmly just like it does after firing a round.

Pulling the slide back and letting go is generally preferred over pushing down on the slide lock to release the slide.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should see it when you fire a round... I doubt anything you do by hand racking it would in anyway hurt it.
I never really thought about it like that before. It just seems so violent when you do it without actually clambering a rd. or when it's cycling.
Makes sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be clear, you're talking about locking the slide back ( or it's locked back) and then releasing it with the slide lock lever. ONLY if it's stripping a round, It IS damaging to do it on an empty chamber. However, sling shotting is safe either way

·
Registered
292 Posts
To be clear, you're talking about locking the slide back ( or it's locked back) and then releasing it with the slide lock lever. ONLY if it's stripping a round, It IS damaging to do it on an empty chamber. However, sling shotting is safe either way
Really?

·
Registered
5 Posts
REALLY? Are you being a jerk? I'm assuming so. Folks don't respond like that, for any other reason. Hey, I doubt you could come up with ANY concept that not only can I understand it , but could take it further than you ever imagined.
So let's REALLY go over what he said:
HE said: "I have never asked this question about any of my semi auto pistols, including my M&P's.
When the slide is locked back and the slide lock is released, is it good/not good, for the slide to rack home so hard? I never do it intentionally, only when a magazine is installed does it happen.
I was just wondering if it hurts the slide or the frame in any way at all.:unsure:"

Now, does that make complete sense to you? Cause it surely does NOT make sense to me. OK think about it. "WHEN THE SLIDE IS LOCKED BACK. WELL, WHAT CAUSED THE SLIDE TO LOCK BACK? DID HE LOCK IT BACK OR DID HE SHOOT A MAG EMPTY? He DOESN'T SAY, DOES HE?! THEN he says,"When the slide is locked back and the slide is released," OK, here we go again, when the slide is locked back, it doesn't just RELEASE, so did he release it by the slide lock lever, did he sling shot it, did he load a new mag full of rounds? AGAIN, he doesn't say does he? THen he says ," When the slide is locked back and the slide lock is released, is it good/not good, for the slide to rack home so hard? ( So hard? Why would he say "SO HARD"?) "I never do it intentionally, only when a magazine is installed does it happen." OK, wait, he never does it intentionally, ONLY when a mag is installed." Damn, this is getting worse and worse, So , is someone else loading the mag? SO, SOMEbody ACCIDENTALLY LOADS A MAG ( I HAVE to ask, is it an EMPTY mag or LOADED? I'm thinking empty mag, cause he says it slams hard and a LOADED mag doesn't do that) and the slide releases, when a mag is loaded. UMMM, NO IT DOESN'T!
So the ONLY glimmer of sense, is this: "When the slide is locked back and the slide lock is released, is it good/not good, for the slide to rack home so hard?"

Ok so he makes it KINDA clear that the slide is locked back and then the slide lock lever is released and it slams real hard. But there's that nagging thing about somewhere in there a loaded or unloaded mag, may or may not be installed( by whom we don't know for sure). SO I posted : "To be clear, you're talking about locking the slide back ( or it's locked back) and then releasing it with the slide lock lever. ONLY if it's stripping a round, It IS damaging to do it on an empty chamber. However, sling shotting is safe either way."

So I decided that I was NOT going to try and make sens of that crap storm ( and say what I said here now), I was just gonna keep it short and take off from the point and going to give him a viable a solution, so I did.

So you decided to respond to ME, with REALLY? Care to elaborate, or is that all you got?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never asked this question about any of my semi auto pistols, including my M&P's.
I was just wondering if it hurts the slide or the frame in any way at all.:unsure:
I only own one M&P and it's a 380EZ M2.0, reading the manual a few times it doesn't address your question.

It does state, "Pull the slide to the rear and then release it, allowing it to carry fully forward. This strips a cartridge from the magazine and seats it in the chamber of the barrel."

This appears to be the way they recommend loading the chamber. To slingshot the slide from it's held position on the slide stop lever.

I did not find any reference in the manual indicating that I should NOT drop the slide stop lever and therefore the slide hard on an open chamber (no magazine).

Personally no one has ever indicated to me in training or otherwise that dropping the slide stop lever on an open chamber (no magazine) would damage the firearm.

I'd recommend you contact the vendor of your firearm and/or a reputable trainer.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have a source saying it's not OK to release with the slide lock lever without stripping a round off the mag? And before you accuse me of being a jerk, I ask this because I see no difference between slingshotting the slide with no mag compared to doing it with the slide release, which you do say is OK. So...source please?

·
Registered
292 Posts
REALLY? Are you being a jerk? I'm assuming so. Folks don't respond like that, for any other reason. Hey, I doubt you could come up with ANY concept that not only can I understand it , but could take it further than you ever imagined.
So let's REALLY go over what he said:
HE said: "I have never asked this question about any of my semi auto pistols, including my M&P's.
I was just wondering if it hurts the slide or the frame in any way at all.:unsure:"

Now, does that make complete sense to you? Cause it surely does NOT make sense to me. OK think about it. "WHEN THE SLIDE IS LOCKED BACK. WELL, WHAT CAUSED THE SLIDE TO LOCK BACK? DID HE LOCK IT BACK OR DID HE SHOOT A MAG EMPTY? He DOESN'T SAY, DOES HE?! THEN he says,"When the slide is locked back and the slide is released," OK, here we go again, when the slide is locked back, it doesn't just RELEASE, so did he release it by the slide lock lever, did he sling shot it, did he load a new mag full of rounds? AGAIN, he doesn't say does he? THen he says ," When the slide is locked back and the slide lock is released, is it good/not good, for the slide to rack home so hard? ( So hard? Why would he say "SO HARD"?) "I never do it intentionally, only when a magazine is installed does it happen." OK, wait, he never does it intentionally, ONLY when a mag is installed." Damn, this is getting worse and worse, So , is someone else loading the mag? SO, SOMEbody ACCIDENTALLY LOADS A MAG ( I HAVE to ask, is it an EMPTY mag or LOADED? I'm thinking empty mag, cause he says it slams hard and a LOADED mag doesn't do that) and the slide releases, when a mag is loaded. UMMM, NO IT DOESN'T!
So the ONLY glimmer of sense, is this: "When the slide is locked back and the slide lock is released, is it good/not good, for the slide to rack home so hard?"

Ok so he makes it KINDA clear that the slide is locked back and then the slide lock lever is released and it slams real hard. But there's that nagging thing about somewhere in there a loaded or unloaded mag, may or may not be installed( by whom we don't know for sure). SO I posted : "To be clear, you're talking about locking the slide back ( or it's locked back) and then releasing it with the slide lock lever. ONLY if it's stripping a round, It IS damaging to do it on an empty chamber. However, sling shotting is safe either way."

So I decided that I was NOT going to try and make sens of that crap storm ( and say what I said here now), I was just gonna keep it short and take off from the point and going to give him a viable a solution, so I did.

So you decided to respond to ME, with REALLY? Care to elaborate, or is that all you got?
Wow.. I don't think of myself as a jerk. I wasn't being a jerk. It was a simple question in hopes you would elaborate a little about what you said. I'm always game to learn something. I don't claim to know it all. You did however, teach me a little about you. Thanx and have a great day!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have several M&P pistols of different calibers and sizes. Sometimes when you insert a loaded mag on some of them, with the slide locked back, it will disengage the slide lock and the slide drops, loading a round. If that is what you are asking, it isn't rare and I don't see it as a problem. The frame has some flex that causes it. At least that is what I've read before. In a competitive environment like USPSA or IDPA it's kind of handy. My gen one 5 inch Pro in 40 does that sometimes. I've shot thousands of rounds and never had an issue with it. It usually only does it when I slam home a mag reloading at speed.

I have a 2.0 full sized 9mm that has never done it to date. I think they made the frames on the 2.0 more rigid. But I'm not concerned about the gen one frame.

If i have the slide locked back and insert a mag and it stays at slide lock I will slingshot the slide. It will not be more violent than when you are firing a round.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have encountered the same question. The noise of the gun going into battery is loud. I suggest wearing the same ear protection as when shooting. It will not seem as harsh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a source saying it's not OK to release with the slide lock lever without stripping a round off the mag? And before you accuse me of being a jerk, I ask this because I see no difference between slingshotting the slide with no mag compared to doing it with the slide release, which you do say is OK. So...source please?
My source is my knowledge of John Moses Browning's design of the 1911, BUT I WILL admit that I left out ONE letter, an "R" after the last "SAFE".
For one, the 1911 was NEVER intended to have an Aluminum frame, much less a plastic frame. EVERY part was weighed out to handle the specific recoil of that caliber cartridge. SO ANY attempt to lighten the gun throws other dynamics off. Just like a 1911 was NEVER designed to have a 3" barrel , and they are nothing but problematic.

My rudimentary understanding of physics and stress points and and shear strength, etc. is my source. The recoil spring is designed SPECIFICALLY to catch the opposite and equal force of the bullet leaving the barrel and then come back with enough force to sling that slide forward with enough force to strip a round out of the mag and shove it into the chamber and secure the slide into battery. The stripping the round out of the mag, creates the smooth equilibrium of the cycle. With NO round to strip, it's a runaway train wreck. The sling shot is a way to soften the blow.

The part is called a "SLIDE STOP" and is designed to hold the slide back on the last round, NOT to release the slide on an LOADED mag ( and CERTAINLY not an empty chamber), BECAUSE, like I said, the recoil spring is designed to be completely compressed, in order to have enough force to do it's job. It simply doesn't have enough at the slide stop. THAT"S why I say, when you sling shot it, you're MORE compressing the recoil spring, giving it enough energy to do it's job.
IF you release the slide from the slide stop, you're shearing the point that catches the slide (in a slide stop situation), to the point where eventually it won't catch at all. PLUS, if you do it on an empty chamber, you're putting undue stress at the points (on a regular 1911)- the lower lugs on the barrel, the barrel linkage and pin ( and the pin holes in the frame), the upper locking lugs into the slide ( I've seen those strip right off). Not to mention the slide slamming into the barrel into battery. In the M&P, it's the point at the upper barrel hood where the barrel locks up into the slide and the barrel pin.
Sling shotting saves the slide stop edge and gives the recoil spring more energy to do it's job (if stripping a round). I simply wouldn't recommend doing either one an empty chamber, but IMO, sling shotting is safer in preventing a catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
292 Posts
So what happens if I fire my last round and the slide doesn't lock back and the slide closes on the empty chamber?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So what happens if I fire my last round and the slide doesn't lock back and the slide closes on the empty chamber?

What that means is (assuming that your mag lips/follower isn't messed up and is properly engaging the slide stop and pushing up far enough to catch the slide) that the very small, fine edge on your slide stop is rounded off and is no longer catching the slide (most likely from using the "slide stop" as a "slide release" too often) so it needs to be replaced ( BTW, I always routinely replace the MIMS parts with hammer forged parts, like Wilson Combat's "Bullet Proof " parts - the slide stop, the take down pin [on many 1911, the take down pin is also the link pin to the barrel {that it pivots on in cycling} and takes the brunt of the work], the mag release, the hammer [if it has one], the extractor and ejector, etc.).

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Letting the slide drop forward without chambering a round in a 1911 can ruin a good trigger job, by causing damage to the sear and hammer hooks.

That said; it likely won’t hurt much on a striker-fired poly pistol, but it’s not a good practice to get in the habit of doing. If you ever did it out of habit when shooting someone’s 1911, they’d probably never allow you to touch, much less shoot, it again. It’ll also mark you as an uneducated novice to any other experienced shooters at the range.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts