MP-Pistol Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
If a handgun is loaded I slingshot it. If it's empty I pull the slide rearward then ride it closed (depressing the magazine stop if it's got a magazine inserted). That's how I was taught when I started with 1911's and it's still how I do it today.

However I've never seen any damage from a slide closing on an empty chamber on modem pistol designs. My LCP (which by design does not lock open after the last round) has 300 plus full speed cycles on to an empty chamber with no issue. I believe most would consider an LCP a less robust design than an a M&P or Shield.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If a handgun is loaded I slingshot it. If it's empty I pull the slide rearward then ride it closed (depressing the magazine stop if it's got a magazine inserted). That's how I was taught when I started with 1911's and it's still how I do it today.

However I've never seen any damage from a slide closing on an empty chamber on modem pistol designs. My LCP (which by design does not lock open after the last round) has 300 plus full speed cycles on to an empty chamber with no issue. I believe most would consider an LCP a less robust design than an a M&P or Shield.
I had to replace a broken extractor on a gen2 Glock 22 back in 2003 the cause letting the slide fly on an empty chamber. Was informed by local gunsmith never let the slide fly on an empty chamber OK with a cartridge but never on an empty chamber, could result in a broken extractor.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts