MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are light filters for exactly? I assume so your light isnt as obvious to others, perhaps the same with colored LED?

·
Registered
191 Posts
A red light filter can help keep your night time vision. I have a LED flash light with both red and white LEDs that worked well with the red on and keep your night vision.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
In biological night vision, molecules of rhodopsin in the rods of the eye undergo a change in shape as light is absorbed by them. Rhodopsin is the chemical that allows night-vision, and is extremely sensitive to light. Exposed to white light, the pigment immediately bleaches, and it takes about 30 minutes to regenerate fully, but most of the adaptation occurs within the first five or ten minutes in the dark. Rhodopsin in the human rods is insensitive to the longer red wavelengths of light, so many people use red light to preserve night vision as it will not deplete the eye's rhodopsin stores in the rods and instead is viewed by the cones.

·
Registered
308 Posts
choochboost said:
pffft........I knew that. :wink:

:roll: I thought everyone knew...

It is why you see so much red in the cockpit of an aircraft at night... Good question tho!

t6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts