MP-Pistol Forum banner

Light Primer Strikes

5816 Views 21 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  rowe_s
Anyone having problems with light primer strikes?

I'm having a major issue with some of my reloads.

Could be a bad lot of primers I have also.

Factory ammo seems ok, but I've only put 50 rounds of factory through it so far.

IAShooter
1 - 2 of 22 Posts
IAShooter said:
I've only purchased 1 box of factory ammo so far and it was WWB.

I've had the same issues you are experiencing MP40Fan.

Lots of double feeds and barrel jams.

It's been bad enough that I have definately purchased my first and last box of WWB.

The LEO's at the S.O. that I work at are qualifying today.

A few of them are going to take my M&P and put it to a serious test.

They've been asked to keep track of any feeding problems and any light primer strikes.

I should have a report tomorrow.

Any light strikes and I will be contacting Smith & Wesson.

As far as the winchester primers, I've never had a problem, with the exception of this 1000 lot.

When I do get a light strike, I inspect the primer and it appears to have a pretty good impact on it. I cycle it through the magazine again and 90 percent of the time it fires.

When I first got mine I had a lot of misfires. Sent it back to S&W, they fixed it and returned it in a timely manner. Worked perfect after that. Haven't had a misfire since.
IAShooter said:
Anyone having problems with light primer strikes?

I'm having a major issue with some of my reloads.

Could be a bad lot of primers I have also.

Factory ammo seems ok, but I've only put 50 rounds of factory through it so far.

IAShooter

When I got my 40 January 1st "MPA16XX" I had the same problem. Went the route of blaming primers, or my priming technique, had the same problem with new ammo. Tried everything for a couple months. Reloads from the same lots worked fine in my old Sigma. Sent the M&P to S&W, they replaced the barrel and slide. That took care of the light primer strikes. Had to send it back again 4 weeks ago because the firing pin block didn't work. Just got it back in my hands yesterday. They replaced the striker. It is a little different from the last one, and works fine. Shot about 300 rounds yesterday and got my confidence back in it.

Don't take this like I'm complaining, I really like the pistol and have the highest confidence in it now. I would buy another one, but would look for a high serial number to be sure it was one made after the bugs were worked out. I am planning to get a compact M&P 40.
See less See more
1 - 2 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.