MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

First let me say this. I love the M&P so I don't need to be convinced on that topic. However, the honeymoon is over. I purchase my first M&P40 about a month ago (MPAxxx). I took it to the range and went through 12 out of 15rds in a single magazine light striking. For me that is unacceptable for any firearm, especially one I plan to carry. Now granted it was clean fire and the occasional LS isn't unreasonable but that many was just plain wrong. So I took it back to the dealer and they have an awesome program through Davison's where it a full replacement guarantee.

So a week later the replacement comes in (MPBxxx). I take it to the range all excited to run a a hundred rounds through it to test it out. Bang, Bang, Click. Tap rack. Bang Click. Tap rack. Click. Not a good way to start off the session. Out of the 50rds in the box. 6 light striked. Now, did I mention that this time I was using Speer CCI Gold Dot defensive rounds? ANY light strike on carry ammo is unacceptable to me.

I love the gun's ergonomics. I love how it shoots. I hear all sorts of stories on reliability through thousands of rounds. I guess I'm just unlucky on this. To make a long story short, the gun is going back to be replaced again. I know that S&W addressed this issue in later renditions. What I'd like to know, is there a serial number series I should specifically request that is known to have this issue fixed? I have a M&P9c that I love that has over 200rds through it without a hiccup (MPLxxxx) so I know they exist.

Also, if this should occur again, what course of action would any of you recommend I take to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

MC

BTW, I'm a coach at the local range and I'm aware of the operator error scenarios that can cause this. Not to say it's not possible it's me but I've very consciously tried to eliminate such things as limp wristing, etc.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Been there done that, sending in my pistol for them to look at.

See if you have the newer striker, older one has the flat sear face, newer one has a stepped sear face.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's the first problem I had with mine, S/N MPA1***. Sent it to S&W, they replaced the barrel and slide. That took care of the light primer strikes, it digested any brand of primer after that.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you have an earlier model, like Jester says, send it back and have them look at it. It may need the updated striker (and I believe Dan mentioned the Sear housing also changed in later variants).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Light strike

Had the same problem with my MPA series, assorted ammo brands, 3% light strikes, 40 cal.

Sent back to SW with about a 10 day turn.

350 rounds later, assorted brands, no problem.

Original rounds showed the 'key way' dent on primer, now they are all plain round dented.

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine has yet to fail to fire anything, but it apparently strikes light or shallow enough to not trigger my Bullite. I wonder if the newer models will work with a Bullite? :?:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also, been there did that.

Send it in to S&W and have it fixed. You must call S&W first.

Got mine back with a new striker assembly and

a free mag for my trouble.

Shipped it on a monday morning and

got it back that friday afternoon. Couldn't believe it.

While they are at it, have them check the slide lock spring.

My MPA#### version had a weak one and that was replaced also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. I think this time around I'll be sending it directly to S&W to get it fixed for sure.

It looks like my compact has the stepped sear face. I'll have to go upstairs and see what my full size has.

MC

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it looks like S&W's customer service has come through again! I sent off my M&P for work and it just got back. If it hadn't been for a bit of a back and forth with UPS to get it delivered (nobody was home the first time they tried) the delivery time would have been exactly one week from ship to receive. The slide has been replaced and it looks like it has the updated firing pin assembly.

The coolest part is that I wishfully requested that they remove the mag safety and guess what? THEY DID! Free of charge at that! I'm totally stoked now and can hardly wait to get in to the range to run it through its paces. Now if this blasted snow and ice would go away before Friday so I can make it in I'll be all set...

MC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some brands have hard primers.

Last night I was at the range with my Walther PPK, that only has about 300 rounds through it.

I had it loaded up with S&B FMJ, and it shot fine in single action mode, but that first double action shot, no bang 4 out of 5 times. Second hit set it up most of the time though.

What I found was that when the gun cycles and cocks the hammer, the hammer is back about 4mm more than it travels when in double action mode, so the double action strike is weaker.

I though the problem was with the gun, but as soon as I switched to reloads, Speer, Magtech and some other brand, the gun was 100% flawless no matter what I did.

Talked to one of the cops there and he said he had the same issue with S&B and his Glock 26.

So, maybe that partcular brand of ammo is not good in that gun?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts