MP-Pistol Forum banner

Has anyone had Light Strikes after having the Trigger overtravel cut done?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
yes, but I fail to see the point, the overtravel is cut off the sear, not the striker, thus not affecting the spring tension or distance traveled.

·
Registered
107 Posts
One overlooked cause of light strikes is incorect head space. This can even be a result of triming a case too short.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jester said:
yes, but I fail to see the point, the overtravel is cut off the sear, not the striker, thus not affecting the spring tension or distance traveled.

I've seen pictures of your striker loaded with grease and residue, your FTF's dont count, LOL :wink:

Seriously though, have you ever thought about the safety plunger on a non modified gun? Push out the rear sight and observe the trigger bar through the safety plunger hole, on a stock gun it's marginal at best. I bet there are quite a few M&P's out there with a chewed up safety plunger. Having the sear cut to remove the overtravel ensures the trigger is far enough in it's stroke to fully engage the safety plunger.

Other causes of light strike could be:

cruddy / greasey striker assembly & or channel

gunk or plastic shavings at the back side of the breech face that would limit the foreward travel of the striker

Tip of striker rubbing aganst the side of the hole in the breech face

Scuffed surface of plastic striker channel liner, from previous use while contaminated with crud

IMHO, the olny place on a striker you might want grease is on the pad where the sear engages, and that's no good once it picks up some powder residue. I personally avoid anything heavier than Breakfree CLP in the striker assembly, and usually I wipe the parts dry or use air to blow off the excess.

I run a spring LIGHTER than the Wolf M&P reduced power striker spring, and i've never had a light strike, or FTF.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
DanGTG said:
[quote name='Jester']yes, but I fail to see the point, the overtravel is cut off the sear, not the striker, thus not affecting the spring tension or distance traveled.

I've seen pictures of your striker loaded with grease and residue, your FTF's dont count, LOL :wink:

[/quote]

Umm, where?, cause I don't use grease, I use remoil, and I don't oil the striker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
rowe_s said:
One overlooked cause of light strikes is incorect head space. This can even be a result of triming a case too short.

Negative.The head space is set by the extractor,not the case length.

Ed

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Jester said:
[quote name='DanGTG'][quote name='Jester']yes, but I fail to see the point, the overtravel is cut off the sear, not the striker, thus not affecting the spring tension or distance traveled.

[/quote]

Umm, where?, cause I don't use grease, I use remoil, and I don't oil the striker.[/quote]

Probably talking about the pics of my gun you have in th3e FAQ section. I haven't hadd a light strike yet because i keep the grease out of the striker channel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts