MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about it, and I'm sure some others have, but I haven't seen anything on it here. For the record, I have yet to have a single issue with my mag-release on my full-sized 40. There is, however the matter of loading a full 15rnd mag with a closed slide needing a good push to latch.

My thought today: Could the seemingly random nature of the mag-drop issue be related to the strain put on the catch by loading a topped off mag into a closed-slide M&P. This problem seems more apparent in the compacts, which by nature, are loaded to capacity by inserting full mag, chambering, remove mag, top off, and loading again on a closed slide. This has the mag being pushed down by the slide, against the mag-spring and your hand, until the catch holds.

I am not saying the catch is not the source of the problem, because it's strength IS suspect. But I rarely top off my mags at the range, and with the exception of a little wear, my mag-catch is fine.

Maybe someone can perform an experiment with their new compact where they load 1 less than max, or don't top off the mag after chambering. Give a report on aparent wear after 100,300, 500, and 1K rounds.

Just a thought on something that might or might not have already been done somewhere.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have seen mags drop on many a Glock in competition. Problem always comes back to hitting mag rel. button inadvertently or not having properly seating the mag in the magwell. I'm not saying some do not have a problem, but this would help remove some causes!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the lower-profile releases Smith has put in have the drop-problem as well? Like I said, I'm exploring an avenue into the cause of the wear that I hadn't seen on this forum before. I'm sure some of the issues are caused by bumping the button, but I wasn't concerned with that because there have been drops even when people are keeping their thumbs off them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Even with "bumping" the button... with most guns, a slight to moderate bump to the mag catch button will NOT release the mag, a strong and deep press on the button is required for that. But with the M&P, the mag catch is so lightly sprung and so shallow in engagement that if you screw up in the slightest and inadvertantly bump the button (as can very easily happen in the hell-fire chaos of a self-defense situation) or your holster presses against the button, or you look at the button cross-eyed (ok, just kidding on that one, but tongue in-cheek!) the mag drops out. To me, this is a design flaw, even if the shooter's thumb tip inadvertantly taps the mag catch button during recoil.... it shouldn't be so light and so shallow as to drop so easily! With a well designed gun you don't have to worry about your thumb tip accidentally touching the mag catch button during recoil... but with the M&P you'd better be darned sure your thumb tip never gets anywhere even close to that mag catch button or you run a serious risk of losing your mag and stopping your gun! Shooter beware of this design flaw.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FieroCDSP said:
I was thinking about it, and I'm sure some others have, but I haven't seen anything on it here. For the record, I have yet to have a single issue with my mag-release on my full-sized 40. There is, however the matter of loading a full 15rnd mag with a closed slide needing a good push to latch.

My thought today: Could the seemingly random nature of the mag-drop issue be related to the strain put on the catch by loading a topped off mag into a closed-slide M&P. This problem seems more apparent in the compacts, which by nature, are loaded to capacity by inserting full mag, chambering, remove mag, top off, and loading again on a closed slide. This has the mag being pushed down by the slide, against the mag-spring and your hand, until the catch holds.

I am not saying the catch is not the source of the problem, because it's strength IS suspect. But I rarely top off my mags at the range, and with the exception of a little wear, my mag-catch is fine.

Maybe someone can perform an experiment with their new compact where they load 1 less than max, or don't top off the mag after chambering. Give a report on aparent wear after 100,300, 500, and 1K rounds.

Just a thought on something that might or might not have already been done somewhere.

i went through 400 rnds with no problem. Then the first time i ever ever ever put one in the chamber and loaded up the mag (10+1), so when i pulled the trigger, out came the mag.

That was the first time i put one in the chamber and a loaded mag. After going through 1000 rnds, i decided to try it again, and nothing. I have put one in the chamber about 7 times and no mag drop. I dunno. Just my exp.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't think topping off the mag is the problem. The public range in Hawaii only allows five rounds in the magazine max, and my M&P 40 mags started going after 230 rounds. I'm also positive that it's not my grip on the gun as I have yet to experience the drops with my M&P 9 with a 1000+ rounds through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts