MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I hear that they shot someone
. Bank of America in Port Charlotte FL. Will post info when I find it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's a tricky situation ... I didn't know you could CCW into a bank in the first place. Some banks in my area even require you to remove any obstructions to the face, i.e. motorcycle helmets and even sun glasses, before entering.

Last thing you'd want is to be seen in a bank displaying a firearm, but frankly two situations might demand it ... if you feel your own personal life or that of a family member were in direct threat, or if the robbers started shooting people en masse for whatever the reason.

Also depends on how many of them there are, and if you have cover and can get a clean shot.

Would love to hear what the LEOs think of this scenario!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
My mom is the manager of a Federal Credit Union (Florida) they had a CCW holder come in and lift his shirt up flaunting his gun off to the tellers. The tellers tripped the silent alarm not knowing he was a CCL holder. When the cops responded they just gave the man a slap on the wrist and told him not to do it any more and notified my mom that they couldn't legally do anything about it. This was a shock to me, for one i figured they would have suspended his CCL, for 2 carrying on federal property, and also for open carry.

Adam

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would be one heck of a good witness ie; clothing description, direction of travel.

My firearm would only come out if someone was about to get shot.

A little background on a couple bank robberies in my area;

First case:

Last fall, a bank in my town (10,000 people) was robbed by someone

displaying a handgun.

Subject got the money and just made it out the north door while a LEO was coming

in the east door.

Imagine what would have happened if the perp wasn't out the door yet.

Sbj got away, but no one harmed.

Second case:

Norfolk NE. About 80 miles from here. Small town similar to mine.

3 scumbags, on meth, go into one of the local banks with intention to rob the place.

Within the first minute, something triggered the 3 perps in the bank and the shooting begins.

7 people in the bank, not including the scum, are all dead. These guys went on a shooting rampage and shot the hell out of the place.

Perps exit the bank, run about 3 blocks away and enter an "unlocked" residence (remember, small town, this crap doesn't happen here).

They find the home owner asleep in the basement. They wake her up and get the keys to

her vehicle and make their escape. Home owner is unharmed. (Initially she has no idea

how lucky she is to be alive.)

Scum is later captured by a single LEO out on a county road.

So, two scenarios.

Case one, no need to get your gun out. Let the scumball

have the money and hope he is captured later.

Case two, get your gun out, you have nothing to lose.

You'll never know what to do until the situation develops.

Update on the Nebraska robbery.

All 3 of the scum were given the death penalty.

Looks like one of them might end up with life, claiming to be

mentally retard.

The other 2 are trying to get lethal injection.

Nebraska is apparently one of the only few states left that use the electric chair.

A lot of government officials have stated that the electric chair will remain at least

until these 2 are fried in it and only then would the state possibly switch to lethal

injection.

·
Site Staff
9,618 Posts
When we went through the academy they talked about similar situations while armed but not in uniform, it was generally recommended that you lay low and observe, in many cases there might be another person in on the robbery that is posing as just another customer, there to take out anyone who might try to be a hero.

The general advice was that if people weren't being hurt, if the perps aren't shooting, just keep a low profile and make mental notes of as much detail as possible, of course if they start shooting people that might be a good time to take action, but watch out for a trap.

The same advice would apply to a legally armed private citizen.

In the case where the guy flashed the gun, in my state that would be a violation, the firearm MUST remain concealed, if you intentionally flash it that will get you arrested.

·
Registered
115 Posts
umm

tstrenuous10 said:
i personally wouldn't pull mine out if I was in the bank. That is what security is for and I wouldn't risk getting shot myself becuase I feel like standing up to a bank robber.

Bank of America only uses active security people on occasion. All of the security at our facility are unarmed..

The last armed guard i saw at a branch carried a Smith revolver.. who know's what their competence level is.. And they only have them their on Saturday's.. not all the branches have guards.

Depends of course on the situation, but i'd doubt i'd pull my weapon unless the robber was activley shooting people. or if i felt directly threatned..

i would be trying to get as good a decription as i could though as others have pointed out.

Jeff.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Adam500 said:
This was a shock to me, for one i figured they would have suspended his CCL, for 2 carrying on federal property, and also for open carry.

Ummm...one of the place you might want to carry IS a bank. Federal Credit Union or a "Federal Reserve" bank are NOT Federal Property. The bank is Insured by the Federal Government (and in a credit union a majority share is owned by federal employees) but if the poperty where the bank is located is owned by a private party, shareholders of a board, etc, they have to post a sign saying you can't carry. But don't take my word or anyone elses on a forum on it, do some research. For me....I carry. If you end up carrying on privete property that posts a sign and get "made" most likely all the police will do is ask you to leave, the worst would be being given a citation similar to tresspassing.

If I were in a bank that was getting robbed, the robbers would leave with the money (which we already established is insured by the feds). You stand more to loose personally by starting a gunfight in a crowded bank. If they single me or my family out and I am in genuine fear for my life (or loved ones lives) then action will be taken to remove the threat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, i did not know that. I just assumed it was federal property since it was insured by the feds. This allows me to see why the cops did not do anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
No carrying into a bank here (NC), and I'd let them take the money and leave. I try to not go into banks (online and atm if possible) unless I have to.

And they guy gets a break for being retarded? I knew that the second I read the story! Who else does meth?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Adam500 said:
Thanks for clearing that up, i did not know that. I just assumed it was federal property since it was insured by the feds. This allows me to see why the cops did not do anything.

Thanks

No problem...but definately check your local/state laws in regards to where you can carry. Noticed your from Brevard FL too! You should come out to Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol Club or Titusville Rifle and Pistol Club to put your M&P to work in some practical shooting. We have IDPA, IPSC and 3 gun every month. In addition there are some indoor tactical shooting matches in Merritt Island and the police Hall of Fame range. Plus, Orlando is just a short drive away. There are alot of shooting opportunities in our area. There are a couple of us representing the M&P and doing pretty good. Some of my Glock buddies may be converts soon. I let one of my friends shoot it after the match and he wouldn't stop raving about it. let me know if you need directions or dates.

Andy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah i shoot at the gun site a lot in merritt island. I live like 5 min away. I still need a lot of help with shooting pistols i am not the best shot lol. I have been working on it but we will see.

I am great with rifles but pistol are another ball game. Just need some more trigger time

This is my 1st DA gun i had a 5" kimber before this.

Adam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts