MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone with some savy 'splain this one to me please.

I've got about 1500 ronds thru my new MP9 and loving it. But I had an issue last weekend that left me befuddled. About 5 rounds into a magazine of 17 the slide cycled normal but when I pulled the trigger - nothing. I tried the tap-rack-scratch-shoot but could not rack the slide. I pulled the mag paying close attention to muzzle location and all looked okay with the mag. Put the mag back in and tried to rack it but could only get about a 1/4 inch movement out of it. The gun looked ready to go but the trigger was just loose. I pulled the mag again and with it out tried to shoot it unsuccessfully and it still wouldn't rack. Beginning to draw some attention from the people around me now I put the mag back in and pointed at the target and finally got the shot off.

Someone said I may not have had the mag locked in good - but the MP9 is inscribed on the side "Gun can fire with magazine removed". Any ideas what was taking place?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If you were shooting reloads I would think that you might have had a round that didn't get fully resized, and probably was shot in a unsupported barrel. As stated, a little oversized and was not going in all the way w/o a fight!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm shooting 115gr FMJ - WWB. I don't think they're reloads - and it never dawned on me that it could be an oversize round. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
29 Posts
WWB has issues. I had problems with WWB 9mm in a new Springfield EMP. I have seen some poor QC for the WWB product line. Don't fret. Run some good ammo thru it and see if you have any more problems.

Just $0.02 worth from a Range Master/Instructor that sees this often with the WWB.

Justin

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I had two improperly seated bullets in American Eagle Indoor Range TMJ in September. Only two problems I've had in probably about 35,000 rounds of the stuff. It happens. In both instances, the case mouth was crushed, folded up like an accordion in one small spot. Round went almost all the way in, but the gun couldn't go into battery and racking the slide took considerable effort.

Such is life. Lesson: chamber check your personal defense ammo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ToddG said:
I had two improperly seated bullets in American Eagle Indoor Range TMJ in September. Only two problems I've had in probably about 35,000 rounds of the stuff. It happens. In both instances, the case mouth was crushed, folded up like an accordion in one small spot. Round went almost all the way in, but the gun couldn't go into battery and racking the slide took considerable effort.

Such is life. Lesson: chamber check your personal defense ammo.

Many thanks.

You've got a great website. Between it and this one I hope I will learn a lot. I've always had a "good eye" for shooting (rifles) and it seems that my eye - although older, is going to work okay with Pistols. But as you know, the mindset is very different with a pistol and I am seeing I'll have this period of pre-programming. Chamber-check.... now that is one I haven't heard anywhere before now....... (now logged).

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I chamber check my carry/defense ammo, and ammo I'm going to shoot at major matches. Just pop the barrel out of the gun and drop each round into the chamber. If it seats all the way, it's fine. If not, throw it out.

I also check the rounds to make sure there is a primer (factory ammo without a primer? been there, seen that) and that the primer is properly seated (high primer on factory ammo? been there, seen that). It's no guarantee, but at least it decreases the already tiny odds that you've got a bad round of factory ammo in your gun when you really need it.

edited to add: and thanks for the kind words about the site!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts