MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a m&p 9 barrel for my 40 compact I am willing to trade/sell a 357 Sig barrel again for the 40c. Any takers

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I got a factory one on backorder I'm not trying to spend 150+ and I would prefer a black barrel to match... That is a highspeed site though and I will look more into it see what other goodies I can find....

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
I'm assuming you didn't check with S&W on this "conversion", instead relying on rumors from the internet. S&W strongly discourages folks (as in "I can't stress this enough") from putting the factory M&P9 barrel in an M&P40/357 slide because of a specific risk of catastrophic failure.

Since the barrel hood doesn't lock into the slide recess, it's allowed to move around quite a bit. This movement can shift the casing under fire, unlocking it from the breech face which allows the barrel to move out of battery and the case to split. You'll find folks who claim that the factory 9mm barrel works fine in the 40/357 slide, but for a few others it's become painfully obvious that it doesn't always work correctly.

Don't be that guy.

Edit: I removed the specifics of what causes the failure, because there are a number of individuals who would attempt it in a misguided attempt to prove S&W wrong. I don't want that on my head. Instead, I would encourage you to wait awhile, save up a couple Jacksons, and invest in a Match Grade 9mm conversion barrel. They can be had for about $120 if you do your shopping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you krweiss, your right I didn't check with s&w I will look into getting the match grade, I have the money I'm just a cheap prick, good looking out, sounds like a good idea for a new thread to prevent someone else from making that mistake, although again your right and other poeple would try to prove it wrong, again thank you and good looking out

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Thank you krweiss, your right I didn't check with s&w I will look into getting the match grade, I have the money I'm just a cheap prick, good looking out, sounds like a good idea for a new thread to prevent someone else from making that mistake, although again your right and other poeple would try to prove it wrong, again thank you and good looking out
This "don't do it" has been cover a few hundred times.

Like my old analogy... just because cheap 18" car tires will fit on the rims of your F350 Heavy Duty, and allow it to drive straight down the highway at 45 mph, doesn't mean they are a smart choice...

JW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its ok for you to call yourself cheap, but didnt have to call yourself a cheap prick...haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts