MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an M&P40c. I'd like to know what carry loads have proven to be reliable and accurate (affordable would be great, too). Please share your experiences.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
It is going to vary enough from gun to gun that you can't really rely on other people's results.

Furthermore, the difference in accuracy between, say, Brand-A 155gr JHP and Brand-B 180gr JHP is probably insignificant compared to your skill level, so finding the load that you shoot best is going to matter more than finding one that other people say shoots accurately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...can someone tell me which bullet weights print to POA best? Do you notice a difference between 155gr, 165gr, and 180gr?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
You'd need to know what bullet weight/velocity Smith used for that particular gun when it was tested and sighted in. I'm not trying to make this hard on you, but if you ask 20 M&P40 owners you'll get 20 different answers. Why? Because their reported accuracy will depend so much on their shooting skill, their chosen sight picture technique, how a particular gun/barrel reacts to a particular bullet, etc.

Example: my carry ammo (124gr @ 1,220fps) shoots exactly to POA at 25yd. IF I use the white dot of my front sight as my aiming point. Which I just happen to do.

Example: my practice ammo (115gr @ 1,145fps) shoots exactly to POA at 25yd. IF I use the top edge of my front sight as my aiming point. Which I don't do, so instead I know my shots are going to land about 2" high at that distance.

Odds are that any standard weight bullet will be close enough to your POA that the differences will still fall well within your wobble zone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd have to say that although the M&P series is plenty accurate enough for a duty/defensive pistol, its not really a tack driver. Almost any of the high-quality hollowpoint loads out there will be accurate enough for social work, while likewise none of them are going to win you any Olympic medals for bullseye shooting.

Do a search for DocGKR's recommendations on .40 carry loads and you can't go too wrong. You may also want to check out the short barrel Gold Dot loads from Speer, as I understand they are optimized for use in weapons with a 3.5 inch barrel (which happens to be exactly the barrel length of the M&P40c).

·
Registered
118 Posts
You probably just need to try out a variety of ammunition to find what works best for your needs and expectations. I do really like Winchester Ranger in .40 S&W, but I am shooting it in a SIG 229.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts