MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a m&p .40cal. i've been having problems with the slide release. it's very hard/difficult to get slide to move froward. i think the slide release is to small. any ideas or is their a extended slide release out there to buy?

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's been said that you can call S&W and they'll send you one for free but I don't know, we have the factory extended slide lever in stock if you can't get it from them. You can also stone the corner that catches the slide to make it release a little smother and easier. Be careful and take a little at the time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Brownells.com

I ordered a "Slide Stop Assembly" (part # 27) from them about 2 months ago and put it in myself using the instructions found on here.

It will make a world of difference! Not only does it make it easier to release the slide, but also to lift it up and catch the slide to hold it open!

Also note too, if your M&P is new it will get easier as some wear will occur with use. Mine did get a little easier when I had the flatter "slide stop". But the newer one is the way to go.

M&P innards and stuff: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematic...6P+(Semi-Auto)+

Slide Stop Removal:

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=204

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I have them in stock, but I think your asking for one that is even more extended than factory? If so, then you'd have to add material to it to do that.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, i'm looking for an extended slide release. like the glocks have.

·
Registered
298 Posts
1enforcer said:
yes, i'm looking for an extended slide release. like the glocks have.

DONT DO IT! Extended slide stop levers cause more issues than they resolve. I sent my M&P40 to S&W because it was locking the slide back on a partially full magazine. They replaced the original low profile slide stop assembly with the current factory slide stop with the hump on it. Now it is far too easy for me to hold it down while shooting causing the slide to not lock back at all. I have modified my grip slightly to eliminate this.

The only Glocks that I have ever seen have functioning issue all had aftermarket "extended" slide stop levers.

While it is possible to become proficient using the slide stop lever to release the slide for reloads, using your support hand for ALL slide manipulations such as reloads and malfunction clearances is more of a universal gross motor skill movement. Most professional competition shooters use the slide stop lever technique for reloads to save fractions of seconds for their overall times, but most instructors who teach "defensive pistol" or gunfighting tactics use/teach the support hand over the top of the slide grasp, rip the slide to the rear technique for all slide manipulations.

It is universally called the slide "STOP" lever, not "release" lever for a reason.

·
Registered
45 Posts
nickdrak said:
[quote name='1enforcer']yes, i'm looking for an extended slide release. like the glocks have.

DONT DO IT! Extended slide stop levers cause more issues than they resolve. I sent my M&P40 to S&W because it was locking the slide back on a partially full magazine. They replaced the original low profile slide stop assembly with the current factory slide stop with the hump on it. Now it is far too easy for me to hold it down while shooting causing the slide to not lock back at all. I have modified my grip slightly to eliminate this.

The only Glocks that I have ever seen have functioning issue all had aftermarket "extended" slide stop levers.

While it is possible to become proficient using the slide stop lever to release the slide for reloads, using your support hand for ALL slide manipulations such as reloads and malfunction clearances is more of a universal gross motor skill movement. Most professional competition shooters use the slide stop lever technique for reloads to save fractions of seconds for their overall times, but most instructors who teach "defensive pistol" or gunfighting tactics use/teach the support hand over the top of the slide grasp, rip the slide to the rear technique for all slide manipulations.

It is universally called the slide "STOP" lever, not "release" lever for a reason.[/quote]

That’s odd, I've trained with numerous world class shooters. Several with Tier 1 military or federal LE experience.

EVERY ONE of them used the slide stop / release for reloads. About 3/4 of them used extended versions on their work & personal 1911, Glock, or Sig.

Your problems are a training issue, nothing more.

By the way, I'd like an extended version for my M&P 9mm also.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dinger,

My "problem" has already been diagnosed and resolved through training.

While we can disagree all day long which method is "better" to use for reloads, I think we can both agree that it is best to train both methods for the "best" results. That said, I will never put an aftermarket extended slide stop lever on any of my carry pistols.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'VE CALLED S&W. THEY HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE SLIDE RELEASE ON ALL M&P'S. IF YOU E-MAIL THEM, THEY WILL SEND YOU A REPLACEMENT PART. THATS WHY I SOLD MY M&P. TO MANY ISSUES WITH THE GUN.

·
Registered
495 Posts
1enforcer said:
I'VE CALLED S&W. THEY HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE SLIDE RELEASE ON ALL M&P'S. IF YOU E-MAIL THEM, THEY WILL SEND YOU A REPLACEMENT PART. THATS WHY I SOLD MY M&P. TO MANY ISSUES WITH THE GUN.
What is S&W saying about slide stop problems? For what little it's worth, I have no problem whatsoever releasing the slide with the new style slide stop.

·
Registered
298 Posts
UPSguy said:
[quote name='1enforcer']I'VE CALLED S&W. THEY HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE SLIDE RELEASE ON ALL M&P'S. IF YOU E-MAIL THEM, THEY WILL SEND YOU A REPLACEMENT PART. THATS WHY I SOLD MY M&P. TO MANY ISSUES WITH THE GUN.
What is S&W saying about slide stop problems? For what little it's worth, I have no problem whatsoever releasing the slide with the new style slide stop.[/quote]

I believe he is referring to the long ago resolved issue of the slide locking back on partially full magazines. Since mine has been replaced by the factory, the issue has gone away.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
smith & wesson said it was a problem with all 9mm & .40cal. m&p's. any m&p bought before the new year. the 07 models are fixed. i'm just telling people what smith & wesson had told me. by e-mail & by phone.

·
Registered
298 Posts
1enforcer said:
smith & wesson said it was a problem with all 9mm & .40cal. m&p's. any m&p bought before the new year. the 07 models are fixed. i'm just telling people what smith & wesson had told me. by e-mail & by phone.

Okay, but what exactly was the "problem" with the slide stops that they needed to correct???

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when slide is back, it's so dam hard to hit the slide release to mag slide go forward. sometimes gun will lock up will shooting, because of the slide release!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I called S&W and was told they won't send out the part. They told me I would have to send in the entire gun. They said the problem was with that some people have trouble releasing the slide after a reload so the new lock/release is larger. I don't know if I want to pay $40-$50 overnight shipping to have it replaced.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
they told me the same thing i just kept calling back till someone said sure.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I can tell you this after handling both. The new one is not extended enough that it hinders concealment but it does make it very easy to drop the slide using the stop/release lever. In my opinion it is a no brainer. No downsides to the newer one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
UPSguy said:
I can tell you this after handling both. The new one is not extended enough that it hinders concealment but it does make it very easy to drop the slide using the stop/release lever. In my opinion it is a no brainer. No downsides to the newer one.

DITTO!

Maybe its all in the grip. I shoot with a 'thumbs foward' grip. No problems. Couldn't be happier with the extended. Makes it easier to drop the slide and to engage for 'slide open' condition. Especially if you were to ever have a double feed malfunction and needed to clear it fast! 'Cause the first thing is to lock open the slide.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts