MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MP40 needs new sights and am looking for some help. It came with the factory Novak sights. I am looking for something that fits a little bit tighter. I purchased my MP mid Feb. It has run flawless for me over 3000 rounds. The only problem is after a while my front sight came loose. I never sent it back to get fixed I used a punch and put a nice divot on the bottom and loctite. I cannot send it back to S-W now because I have since media blasted my slide.I was looking for a better sight anyway. I was looking at the big dots on SSS site. Does anyone know if this sight would work for me or will it feel loose as well? I am open to suggestions for a different sight. Mainly on a sight that some one knows of that fits a little tight that will have to be fitted, just sanded a little. I also noticed SSS has 3 different Big dot sight sets, what is the difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Mine has recently got loose and I went with the warren tactical and I LOVE THAT THING... picks up sights real easy easy to install I HIGHLY reccomend this one its a keeper
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Nope Warren tactical is for the rear which takes all of 5-10 minutes to install. I am going to be getting a fiber optic front sight they have different fiber optic rods that you can mix-n-match with so if you try the red and you dont like try yellow and so on. There are a lot of guys (errr people) who use that setup and love it... Check around
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 101, I may give the Warren a try. But the info I am really looking for is about the front site. I need to find one that has a snug fit. I have read someone posted about a front sight that had to be fitted, or sanded a bit to get it to fit, which is what I am looking for. Since my front sight is loose and all.
I can't find the thread I saw it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,990 Posts
Mrgrinch233 said:
Thanks 101, I may give the Warren a try. But the info I am really looking for is about the front site. I need to find one that has a snug fit. I have read someone posted about a front sight that had to be fitted, or sanded a bit to get it to fit, which is what I am looking for. Since my front sight is loose and all.
I can't find the thread I saw it on.


Dan and I were pming each other about sights and he said all front sights will have to be sanded and forced into place. I think his words were "I dont charge for replacing the rear sight but I charge 15.00 to replace the front because of the work that goes into it" I have also heard of people actually breaking the front sight in two in order to remove it... Good luck brother show some pics when youre set up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. I will try the Dawson fiber front with a Dan Burwell rear. I really appreciate the help. I've really wanted one of Dan's rear sights since March just haven't had the need for one. But now that I will be changing the front I might as well change the rear. As for having a hard time getting the front one out, I can do it by hand. It's that loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,101 Posts
after seeing the xs big dot sights i have been very intrigued, but it seams everybody is certain about the warren rears with either the night site up front or a fiber derivative.



Good luck, and be sure to post a review, i have been struggling for quiet some time on what sights to get!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
THIS is something I would really like, but it takes a very tall rear sight and someone to custom build it. The oversized white ring on the XS Standard Dot front is perfect for my tired old eyes. Time and money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Yea real nice! I recon that i can even see the thing in setting suns :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
rondo said:
THIS is something I would really like, but it takes a very tall rear sight and someone to custom build it. The oversized white ring on the XS Standard Dot front is perfect for my tired old eyes. Time and money.


Maybe, maybe not. There is some gun to gun variation, and your gun might regulate correctly. I tried a Warren rear sight with one of our Standard Dot tritium fronts when I first got my M&P. On my pistol, I was hitting about 1/2" low at 25 yards. Perfectly acceptable for a fighting pistol.



Mrgrinch,



If you'll degrease the dovetail on the sight and the dovetail cut on the gun and apply a generous amount of LocTite 262 (the red stuff) and let it set up overnight, you won't have any issue with the sight moving around.



Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Joe Long said:
Maybe, maybe not. There is some gun to gun variation, and your gun might regulate correctly. I tried a Warren rear sight with one of our Standard Dot tritium fronts when I first got my M&P. On my pistol, I was hitting about 1/2" low at 25 yards. Perfectly acceptable for a fighting pistol.


Don't mean to hijack the thread, but this is encouraging. Joe, we need to talk...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I had Big Dot sights installed on my M&P .40 Compact. Couldn't get the rear sight except in the standard version - no room for the vial. My groups improved and I have more confidence in the pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Joe Long said:
Mrgrinch,



If you'll degrease the dovetail on the sight and the dovetail cut on the gun and apply a generous amount of LocTite 262 (the red stuff) and let it set up overnight, you won't have any issue with the sight moving around.



Joe


Willl the loctite ruin the finish of the slide? I'm planning on applying some loctite for the rear Warren sights as they easily slide to the left after few rounds. Should I just apply loctite on the threads and not on the slide & dovetail? Would the blue one hold it well enough from sliding, or should I use the red?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I've never used the red loctite, but the "sure-lok" that XS uses is good stuff. Hard to remove even on purpose.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top