MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good quick access safe. I've seen gun vault, stack-on and sentry in stores near me. Hoping to get some input from those of you who have used them. Likes dislikes. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your looking for something just big enough for a pistol and a couple of mags,the Gun Vault Micro vault is nice.It has the the four button quick access,with the key access as a back up if the battery wears down,which there is a warning for.It's small enough to stash almost anywhere,and take with you,but comes with a cable to secure it.I've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Keep in mind, they all can be defeated fairly easily by a determined individual. They will keep curious kids away, but a teen with internet access will have no problem getting it open when you are not home. The safe will usually end up damaged so you will know, but that won't stop someone will il intent.

That aside, I like the gunvault finger button models better than the Stackon. I have not tried the others. The finger print scanner models are too slow and unreliable for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Gunvault Microvault, so I'll put in another vote for it. It fits my M&P9 FS and a mag. It's quick and easy to open and since it's small, I can keep it by the bed and well hidden. I looped the included tether through the drawer and around the bottom of the cabinet, so someone trying to steal it would need something that could cut the cord or would have to destroy a solid wood cabinet. Obviously someone who 1) knew it was there and 2) had time, tools, and determination could get it open, but I don't have kids and I'm not looking for something 100% secure.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Keep in mind, they all can be defeated fairly easily by a determined individual. They will keep curious kids away, but a teen with internet access will have no problem getting it open when you are not home.
I found this to be the most disturbing fact when searching for my safe. I have mine hidden but I still feel uncomfortable with how easy they are to open.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I picked up an Inprint Biometric "Safe"(it's a lock box) at a gun show a few months ago.

The biometric scanner is very fast when using the wall plug and not too slow at all on battery power. It stores multiple(16 I think) finger prints and has not failed to read for me yet.

9G Products claims their scanner has the lowest fail/false scan rate of anything on the market.

I got a package deal with the AC adapter and mounting plate for $200.00, a bit pricey for a lock box but is much sturdier than the other cheapo boxes I have and I do like the quick access of the biometric mechanism.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was all set to buy the V Line top draw security case for $170 from amazon...Amazon.com: V-Line Top Draw Security Case (Black): Sports & Outdoors. I liked it because it is apparently very strong, the buttons don't need batteries and it's made in the USA. While black friday shopping at sports authority I came across the Stack On Electronic safe for $60. Here is the amazon link, the sports authority link isn't working. Stack-On PS-508 Extra Wide Strong Box Safe with Electronic Lock - Amazon.com. I have been happy with the stack on though I made sure to switch off the beep when the button is pushed and I also made sure to pick a code that is easy to punch out in the dark,(I guess that's true with any button lock). It has a lot of room and seems sturdy, I still need to bolt it somewhere but at least my wife can't yell at me now for not securely storing my M&P. The battery is supposed to be good for a year. I go to the range, now that ammo is available again, at least twice a month so the low battery warning should be easy to address. There are 2 keys provided to open the lock and 4 bolts to securely mount it. For the money I am very happy. If I had the V Line I would also be happy but saving $110 means I have more money to buy ammo. I think you'll be happy with either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Gunvault Microvault has never failed me. Quick opening and easy access. Keeps the 9c and LCP just fine. I like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've shopped around a lot for a good biometric gunsafe and the best one that I've found is The GunBox Biometric + RF gun safe. Not only can I program all 10 of my fingerprints but I can program my husband's as well. It holds about 200 fingerprints. It also comes with a RFID label and wristband. They also offer some sweet RFID rings as well. It holds my gun plus a magazine. I've even seen pictures of people that can fit 2 smaller guns in it. You can bolt it down, upside down to a wall etc. You have access to your guns in about 3 seconds. This gun safe exceeded my expectations and blows GunVault out of the water. Gunvault is cheap and feels like those till boxes they use in retail. Their videos are impressive too. They have videos where the GunBox is put through a "torture test" not only by the company but by other companies as well. These gun safes are not only child proof but have an alarm so if it is moved it will go off (sounds like a fire alarm).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another vote for the Gunvault Minivault here. I have had it for a year and really liked it. Had couple of instances where I needed quick access to my firearms and got it easily. I also like is its small size and can easily hide it out of sight. It also has assisted opening of door after you entering the code, fairly cheap but good quality.

·
Site Staff
9,628 Posts
Look at some of the videos of this guys analysis of small gun safes and how easy they are to break into, they just aren't secure, most of them are a waste of money.
Scroll down the page, they are further down.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mwtobias/videos

Check out how easy it is to break into this Gun Vault
Gun_Vault_GV2000S ANALYSIS BY MARC WEBER TOBIAS AND TOBIAS BLUZMANIS OF SECURITY LABS.wmv - YouTube

Somebody sees which gun safe you have, Googles it, and it into it in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My preference on any gun safes are to use mechanical locks for simplicity, reliability, and durability. The mechanical pushbutton locks commonly used on handgun safes are hard to beat in my opinion.

Thicker steel is always a good thing as well and there are a few brands available that meet this criteria.

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what I have read, do not get a stack on safe. I have heard about robbers using a paper clip to get in it. I don't know about you, but that does not make me feel very secure when it comes to gun safes.
I have heard from biometric safe owners, that the finger print readers are picky and don't always work. The guy who taught our CC class has one. It reads his finger just fine, but it does not work for his wife.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What do you guys think of an in-wall safe? I've been eyeing this one for awhile now.
Amazon.com: Protex Wall Safe with Digital Keypad (PWS1814E): Office Products

I'm looking for a safe that can't be picked up and walked off with, even if it's attached by a cable. I feel that a cable cutter can easily and quickly detach one of these micro safes and then a burglar can just walk off with it and have all the time they want to open it at a later time and location.

As for quick access, a key pad might not be as quick as a 4-button or bio metric safe sitting on your nightstand, but it can't be all that much longer to press 4-6 buttons.

My idea is to install this in the wall next to my side of the bed and then cover it with a mirror on hinges. Popping out of bed, opening the mirror and pressing 6 buttons shouldn't take too long. At the very least, it's much better then my current option where I store my firearms.

Also, this would help me carry more often, if not everyday, if access to my weapon was much faster and easier then what I currently have.

I figured out of site out of mind. Not every burglar will think to look behind all picture frames and even if they do find the safe, they cant just rip it out of the wall as easily as one of those micro safes. The hassle to get it out would not be worth it during a quick smash and grab job.

Not to take away from any other form of gun security, I just feel this option is best for me. Let me know what you guys think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts