MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...so after spending more hours than I care to admit on arfcom I have been converted....I want an ar-15. My "knee-jerk" was to look into the SW MP series since I am (so far) extremely pleased with my full size 9mm and .40. But, after ALOT of research it seems like there may be other options that provide the same quality at a cheaper price. I am a complete newb when it comes to semi-auto rifles so the plan is to just buy a complete rifle and learn the ins and outs over time and NOT build one right now. Right now I am looking at the following manufacturers/rifles:

1 - Stag Model 2 (equivalent to the M&P 15A - I think they built the S&W rifles at one point - value priced)

2 - RRA Entry Tactical (DEA approved!! - pricing in line w/ Stag)

3 - Colt LE 6920 (this is my "top of the line" choice - seems to be the most highly recommended rifle on the net - about $400 more than other options)

I will use it primarily for HD and range noise. Let me know what you think of my choices. Any other opinions you guys can offer are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Three good picks and you should do good with any but check with Grant from G&RTACTICAL, a sponsor here as he may save you some money. He is the man when it comes to ARs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
All good picks...also check out Sabre defense as well. http://www.sabredefence.com/ They can get a little pricy but see if you can find one around your area to shoot and try out. Make sure to check out the Massad Ayoob model. But ya have to fire one to see what I mean

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I've got all three and they are all excellent weapons. I build my own now though!

Easy way to build on is to buy a complete upper and a complete lower then put them together. RRA allows you to customize an upper so you can usually get what you want from them. A CMT/Stag lower can be had pretty easy too!

Don't let yourself be intimidated by building a lower yourself though, very easy to do. Then just buy uppers for now unti; you choose to build that too!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree 100% with the other comments to build your own. That way the end product is exactly what you want. It is more than probably the cheapest to build even with quality parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. So say I want to build my own...is it as simple as just buying a complete upper and lower and putting them together? or are there additional parts/tolls needed? Sorry for the dumb question but I am at ground zero when it comes to ARs.

Also, what are a some "preferred" options?

I have read discussions re: chrome vs. steel lined barrels - still not sure what is better for my purposes?

I haven't a clue on 1:7 vs 1:9 barrel twist. Should I even be concerned about this?

Any guidance on sights? Not looking for an optic right now, but I would like a nice set of sights.

Anyway, I know those are "AR 101" questions, but I again appreciate any input/advice.

Thanks!

One more ? (sorry)...I keep reading about the possibility of another Federal Weapons Ban and the effect on the ability of civies to buy hi-cap mags, ARs etc. I am wondering what parts, specifically, for the AR would not be available if this happens? In essence, what parts should I make sure and buy (and stock up on) before the Dems crash the party?

Thanks (x2)

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
CitizenKane said:
Ok. So say I want to build my own...is it as simple as just buying a complete upper and lower and putting them together? or are there additional parts/tolls needed? Sorry for the dumb question but I am at ground zero when it comes to ARs.

Also, what are a some "preferred" options?

I have read discussions re: chrome vs. steel lined barrels - still not sure what is better for my purposes?

I haven't a clue on 1:7 vs 1:9 barrel twist. Should I even be concerned about this?

Any guidance on sights? Not looking for an optic right now, but I would like a nice set of sights.

Anyway, I know those are "AR 101" questions, but I again appreciate any input/advice.

Thanks!

There are mainly 2 kinds of barrel materials, chrome moly steel or stainless steel, you can get the chrome moly with a chrome lining. The chrome lining is mainly intended for battle rifles, most people believe that chrome lined barrels are slightly less accurate than an unlined barrel, there is some controversy about that, its main advantage is that it will be slightly easier to clean.

The 1-9 twist is the most popular, I have a couple that are 1-9 and another 1-8,the faster twist barrels (1-7 & 1-8 ) work well with heavier bullets, but most any of them will work fine with the common 55 gr bullet that is so popular in 223/5.56mm ammo.

There are 2 main barrel makers for AR's, Wilson and Shaw, Wilson should not be confused with Wilson Custom the 1911 gunsmith, Wilson barrels are a completely different company, they aren't the only ones, but the most common.

Rock River Arms and Del-Ton use Wilson barrels.

Stag Arms and S&W use Shaw barrels.

J&T Distributing uses Shaw on some and Wilson on others, quite a few builders do the same.

I highly recommend you buy a flat top receiver, it is much more flexible than one with a fixed carry handle, you can get a detachable carry handle if you want, but the better set up is a flat top with folding sights, it's much easier to add optics later on the flat top.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of brands, but a limited number of makers of parts and rifles.

Who makes AR rifles?

LMT , makes parts for-- LMT, Lauer, DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knights Armament, Barrett

CMT , makes parts for --Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske, new Century, Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI, Wilson Tactical, Grenadier Precision, Colt

LAR , makes parts for --LAR, Bushmaster, Ameetech, DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton

JVP , makes parts for --Double Star, LRB

MMS , makes parts for --Mega, GSE, Dalphon, POF, Alexander Arms,

Olympic , makes parts for --Olympic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, the old Century

Sun Devil , makes parts for --Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior, makes parts for-- Superior Arms

·
Registered
88 Posts
build build build I know nothing about ARs and it only took about one hour to put my lower together.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
Model 1 is one of the lower quality suppliers, much better are a couple of companies I have dealt with, and can recommend:

http://www.del-ton.com/

http://jtdistributing.com/index.html J&T also sells their own complete rifles under the Double Star brand name.

I built all 3 of these, the upper right was from a J&T kit, the one on the bottom from Del-Ton:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great info!! I am checking all of the links and plan on giving myself a special Xmas gift this year

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Go to www.model1sales.com

They have everything you need. I have no connection to them whatsoever. I have bought from them in the past with great luck.
I built my own complete SBR upper from Model1Sales. Cost me $300??? $350??? Runs like a top, shoots 2" at 50 Yards. Pretty good for a 10.5" gun. AND it eats everything its fed without a complaint.

I tend to think that 75% of the issues with ANY gun are user-induced... And issues with guys building their own, and screwing them up. Just slapping together a lower is no big deal. Slapping together an upper CAN be dangerous. When you start dealing with head-spacing with the bolt and barrel, gas block issues, alignment of the gas tube with the bolt key, etc... It's not HARD to do, but you have to be able to look for something WRONG, and be able to assemble the parts correctly. My first one was built with me "helping", by a friend whose built a dozen uppers. I was fine on my own after that, but I'd suggest if you plan on building your own, enlist an experienced acquaintance, or find someone to coach you.

JW

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought my first AR, but would definitly build one if/when I do it a second time around. If you build it, even if it comes out a little more than say a new M&P Sport, if you wanted a Quad rail and MOE grips/stock to begin with, you can go straight into that and you wont have a bunch of spare parts laying around afterwards. Having some spare parts is nice, but when you have enough spare parts to build another rifle ... another rifle tends to magically appear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go to a gun show and buy one face to face from an individual. That way when obuma comes looking fo it there is no paper trail to you. :ninja:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I have a couple ARs, but never built one. I think I'd like to but not sure what's involved. Like CitizenKane asked previously, is it just a matter of buying the complete upper and lower, lining up the pins with the holes and KaBam, I've got a rifle? Or is there much more to it (screws and springs and things)???

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 to all the guys saying BUILD YOUR OWN!!! Very easy to do and makes it that much better when you can put what you want on your rifle and make it perform like you want it to. Costs about $100 dollars to get all the tools you need to build ar 15's. One must have for accurate ar's is a barrel lapping tool around $20. Steer clear of model1sales nothing but bad luck when dealing with them. But to each is own. I'm building my 5th ar right now and it is going to be nice.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Right now BUY something! You dont have the time to build unless you secure the items NOW. remember you need MAGS!

Not much left or on the shelf at most place around here. Easier to get a complete rifle as of now

1 - 20 of 22 Posts