MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am looking to get myself a AR. Some things I do know are that I would like to have the 5.56/.223 caliber, I want a flat top that has sights ( I assume I can remove the rear off the rail when it is time for the eotec), I want a carbine design, and a 6 position stock. I kinda like that I am hearing about RRA, STAG, and the M&P (stag?). I would like to get a used gun to save some money and have a little extra to customize it. I like the look of the rock river entry tactile, and i know dealer price on this gun is 795, but I am not willing to pay the local store 1,000 for it. No offense, but I refuse to pay someone 200 bucks just to make a phone call for me. Is there any other site's then gunbroker.com that I can look for one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
look in to bushmaster. i'm VERY happy with mine, and mine was $799 new
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I'm very happy with my Smith and Wesson M&P 15T. I made the mistake of letting my brother borrow it this summer and can't seem to get it back because he really likes it too. It has folding Troy industries battle sights on the front and rear that I really like, to the point that I may not even get a scope for it. It may be a bit more than you wanted to spend but this will be my first and last AR. Check with GT Distributors in Texas for a good deal on any AR-15. You'll probably have to e-mail for a price but they had the best price I could find even after shipping and the transfer fee that I could find. They do civilian sales also.



www.gtdist.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
koumiss45 said:
Ok, I am looking to get myself a AR. Some things I do know are that I would like to have the 5.56/.223 caliber, I want a flat top that has sights ( I assume I can remove the rear off the rail when it is time for the eotec), I want a carbine design, and a 6 position stock. I kinda like that I am hearing about RRA, STAG, and the M&P (stag?). I would like to get a used gun to save some money and have a little extra to customize it. I like the look of the rock river entry tactile, and i know dealer price on this gun is 795, but I am not willing to pay the local store 1,000 for it. No offense, but I refuse to pay someone 200 bucks just to make a phone call for me. Is there any other site's then gunbroker.com that I can look for one.


Go here and learn a lot: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=3 (FAQ)



Equipment Exchange: http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=21



I've been trolling thru Buds - haven't bought anything from them but not a bad price

BUSHMSTR BCWVMF16M4ORC 16" OPTIC READY - $824.00

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product...oducts_id/46149

















[/img]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
My AR is a Doublestar. They're out of Winchester, KY. I love mine. Got it for $699 at centerfiresystems.com. That's basically a 16" carbine with the flattop upper. I think J&T Distributing is the actual sister company of Doublestar. I wouldn't hesitate to try them out.
 

·
Site Staff
Joined
·
9,618 Posts
J&T is their parts and kit distributor, Doublestar is their brand name for complete AR's ready to go, I built one of my AR's on a J&T kit, good stuff, good people!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
If I may ask a question; what is the intended use of your AR? The end use will likely dictate the precise model for you. For example, if you are planning to use it for serious high power rifle competition, it will benefit you to spend a bit more money to get a higher quality rifle. The same may be said if you are going to use it for law enforcement purposes where peoples lives (including yours) will depend on the weapon's ability to function reliably and deliver accurate fire. If, on the other hand, the rifle will spend its life punching holes in paper during informal target practice, or dispatching the occasional varmint, lower quality/lesser expensive options may be entirely adequate.



HRF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
SharpshooterOPD said:
If I may ask a question; what is the intended use of your AR? The end use will likely dictate the precise model for you. For example, if you are planning to use it for serious high power rifle competition, it will benefit you to spend a bit more money to get a higher quality rifle.


And to add to the first part of his statement... a bigger calibur would work better, too. 6.5 Grendel ftw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's going to be mostly a plinking toy, but I may be going into LE starting in about 2 years. I will most likely be shooting some multi-gun competitions with it is well. As for the function of it, it must go bang whenever I pull the trigger.... I don't see the purpose of owning a gun that would do any less, or why anyone would want to own anything that doesn't do this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,133 Posts
koumiss45 said:
It's going to be mostly a plinking toy, but I may be going into LE starting in about 2 years. I will most likely be shooting some multi-gun competitions with it is well. As for the function of it, it must go bang whenever I pull the trigger.... I don't see the purpose of owning a gun that would do any less, or why anyone would want to own anything that doesn't do this?


For plinking... DPMS or Bushmaster. Cheap, fire, and will do about that.



For shooting in a competition, i'd go with any generic lower (most parts are typically the same), but i'd go with a match trigger. I have one in my AR and the 2-stage pull is very nice and allows me to set up my shots, and it only requires 3.5 lbs to drop. Then i'd go with a very nice upper... something from Noveske, Alexander Arms, Sabre Defence Industries, or another good upper company, to get a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC upper. Those two rounds offer very good ballistics and flatter trajectories then .223/5.56 rounds.



For LE... i'd wait till you get the job, and you have a lot of options when that happens. However, i'd stick with Colt, LMT, or another top-end company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've already got the job in that sense, the brother-in-law is the head detective in a small town. I am going to go with CMMG I decided, they are close to my house and can give me a ton of support on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I think CMMG is an excellent choice based on my own research. I've been shopping for an AR for awhile now, just trying to get the money for one.



Have you considered a mid-length AR? They have many advantages over a carbine. I've made up my mind to get one and I'm leaning heavily toward a CMMG. I learned a lot over at ar15.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it's either a CMMG or a Smith M&P 15a... I really don't know. I can get the smith for 940 in my hands...that is a big +.... I am just worried about it's quality against CMMG, but I know the warranty would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
The CMMG I've been looking at is under $800 if I buy the upper and lower separately. S&W doesn't currently offer a mid-length.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Allow me to plug Olympic Arms, Inc. They offer 20" rifles and 16" carbines, the latter being the better seller I suspect. Oly Arms is a few miles from my house, and I'd like to support my local arms manufacturer. Haven't had any personal experience with them, but I've heard that, while they're not the absolute best AR-15s around, they are more than adequate and are very good value for money. My local PD has an Oly Arms K3B in every patrol car, along with a Remington 870P which is relegated to "less lethal" duty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to but a S&W AR. I have two different models in for test and evaluation and they are performing. The fit and finish are good and they are accurate out of the box. If you get one of the models with folding BUIS, make sure you take them off and put some blue Loc-Tite on them.



I also have two Bushmasters in for test and evaluation. I can't get them to zero because they put the wrong front sight base on the rifles. They also do not properly stake gas key bolts. So they are getting boxed and shipped back next week.



I have also tested and own a STAG and it has performed very well. My personal STAG has over 4000 rounds through it without a malfunction.



LMT is also an excellent rifle. I have tested one and own a LMT SBR. They are hard to beat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picked one up from cmmg this weekend, it was a gun that they built on a dpms lower with one of thier uppers....shoots good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
I got to unload with my M&P15a, stock, this weekend. And it was a straight shooter right out of the case. I loved it. It feel very solid as well. I know it was the first round of many but so far so good.



I know there is some brand new sub $850 ones around the net if you look in the right places.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top